revell aqua paints

davefocus

hi.

has anyone any idea how i can prevent the above paints from being too diluted?

i opened a new pot of revells 378 grey paint, gave it a good stir, and started painting with it.

unfortunately its coming out very diluted to the point of being useless.

i don't want to give my model numerous coats of paint if i can help it.

any help would be appreciated.

Surprised at this: the usual problem with Revell Aqua is that until diluted it's the consistency of golden syrup! What do you mean by "a good stir"? I'd give it 5 minutes unbroken stirring. If it's no better after that, I'd return it as faulty.

Agree with Seahawk. The paint is "designed" for trowelling on rather than brushing. Sounds like you have a duff pot.

i only ever use aquacolour(easiest for me to get hold of!),as other members have said it's normally quite thick but i had a similar problem with mettalic copper,not so much thin as a very strange purple colour which even after stirrinng and shacking was as thin as water and still purple!

hi. the consistency looks fine in the pot however when i applied it to the model it felt like i was 'pushing' very diluted paint around the part being worked on. not impressed at all.

As the other guys have said, it does sound like a Friday afternoon pot of paint and the normal consistency is pretty much like interior decorating emulsion. Bin the pot - or take it back - but try and stick with Revell Aqua as it's so easy to find - every LHS seems to stock it - and once thinned down I find it works really well. I thin with plain old tap water that's had some W&N flow improver added.

• Like 2

I quite like Revell Aqua paints, though I haven't sprayed them yet. I used their steel paint a couple of nights ago for an exhaust pipe - went on nicely and has a nice smooth metallic sheen to it. That was after I stripped off Vallejo oily steel that went on badly (very streaky.), dried badly (very streaky..) and looked bad (very steaky...)

I'm sticking with Aqua as best I can and will attempt to spray some soonish.

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

• 2 weeks later...
i only ever use aquacolour(easiest for me to get hold of!),as other members have said it's normally quite thick but i had a similar problem with mettalic copper,not so much thin as a very strange purple colour which even after stirrinng and shacking was as thin as water and still purple!

i have found that the revell aqua paints metalic colours have this purple.for mettalics i only use alclad2 or games workshop.

• 4 weeks later...

As an update for my own experiences with these paints, today I finally got round to spraying with them. I had a small paint job to do so was eager to try them out (painting the canopy on my Minicraft Stratocruiser black as an under coat).

I used tap water mixed with a little bit of Daler-Rowney flow enhancer; I didn't accurately mix the proportions (the bottle of flow enhancer states "add a tablespoon or two of flow enhancer to 500ml....of mixing water") but placed about 1.5ml from my dropper into a small plastic bottle with the tap water in it. I then added this watery mix to a couple of drops of 09 Anthracite and mixed thoroughly before pouring it into my colour cup.

Spraying: pressure about 15psi, the paint came out very nicely and the airbrush had that lovely smooth hiss to it. The paint initially went on "beady" but when allowed to dry, it flattened out beautifully (I didn't use a primer - tut! tut!). Subsequent coats went on so smoothly and after several passes a nice solid layer built up. All of it very nice indeed. The paint has a nice satin sheen to it.
Cleaning up was simple - a drop or two of Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner, followed by a cup load of fresh water and that was it.

My impressions? It was a lovely enjoyable spraying session, no nasty chemical smell and no real mess either. The paint finish has pleased me hugely and as I already enjoy using them to brush paint with I think I'll be using them a bit more. Over a primer as others have mentioned, I imagine the first coat not to bead as much.
Out of the plastic tub they are a bit thick and emulsion like, but from my very limited experience they seem to airbrush nicely. I can't wait to try more.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat