1/32 Vacform Hawk

Murdo

Got a couple of hours done today after the "Honey Do's" etc. Got a stinker of a cold so wasn't really too interested and had to plod on a bit. But with work as busy as it is at the moment, If I didn't do it today it might be next weekend before I get anything else done to it.

Still haven't got round to buying Daylight bulbs so had to manipulate the pics a bit but even then, they have very poor colour balance.

The head box "Danger" decals were made with M$ Word and printed on Inkjet decal paper which then had a couple of layers of "Microscale Liquid Decal Film" brushed over the decal areas. Other Danger decals that weren't good enough were cut up and used as small labels on other parts of the seats.

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

I've made up an instrument panel from FSX dials and this is my first ever attempt at printing decals. I'll probably use the bottom left two. At the top of the page you can see the last of the "Danger" decals used on the seat headbox.

IMG_2881.jpg

Let me know what you think. Are they worth the effort or should I stick to "proper" kits? :winkgrin:

• Like 1

glad it's not just me then Kev, both versions of photobucket won't upload, keeps giving 'upload failed' but no other useful info.

I noticed all sorts of issues with PB, but as soon as I went from IE to Firefox all the issues disappeared! Mind you, whenever I click the "quote" button BM is always puts the quote in twice, so you have to remember to delete one of them.

Edited by depressed lemur

The rivets are from Archers Fine Transfers and are fantastic to work with. They're just like a normal decal. You select the pattern / size you want, cut to length and just apply like a normal decal. They might stray until you get a layer of Klear / varnish or primer over them and I can see I've lost three from one of the seats. No probs, they're good fun to work with.

I started riveting on Saturday afternoon and was thoroughly enjoying myself and was perfectly happy until I became vaguely aware that the Wife was screaming at me and slapping my face.

I came to and found that I'd riveted the bang seats... then the PC moniter... then half the panels on my car (1/1 scale Mondeo) and had now Tamiya taped my 8 year old daughter to a kitchen chair and was about to give her 1/35 scale ear studs. Rather absorbing little things these rivets. I suppose that makes me a true "Rivet Counter" now.

Please can you tell me where to get the Archers Fine Transfers rivets in the UK? I looked at a certain well known East Aglian mail order house's website but didn't see them.

I almost screamed with laughter when I read your " vaguely aware that the Wife was screaming at me and slapping my face" ... been there done (suffered) that. In my case it's usually when I get home from an airshow with a very stuffed camera bag but stupidly carrying the cameras as well ...

Love this build, by the way. I've got the Revell 1/32 Hawk glowering at me from the stash but as yet haven't dared start it. I've also a Falcom 1/48 Swift vacform which is looking slightly less intimidating after reading this thread. Thanks!

Got a couple of hours done today after the "Honey Do's" etc. Got a stinker of a cold so wasn't really too interested and had to plod on a bit. But with work as busy as it is at the moment, If I didn't do it today it might be next weekend before I get anything else done to it.

Still haven't got round to buying Daylight bulbs so had to manipulate the pics a bit but even then, they have very poor colour balance.

The head box "Danger" decals were made with M$ Word and printed on Inkjet decal paper which then had a couple of layers of "Microscale Liquid Decal Film" brushed over the decal areas. Other Danger decals that weren't good enough were cut up and used as small labels on other parts of the seats.

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

I've made up an instrument panel from FSX dials and this is my first ever attempt at printing decals. I'll probably use the bottom left two. At the top of the page you can see the last of the "Danger" decals used on the seat headbox.

IMG_2881.jpg

Let me know what you think. Are they worth the effort or should I stick to "proper" kits? :winkgrin:

Ermmmmmmmmmm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Personally I think you should chuck it in the bin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAINLY BECAUSE YOU SHOWING US ALL UP AND PRODUCING GREAT STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kick the tyres and light the fires !!!!!!!!!!!! 30 seconds to make like a bird !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work as usual Murdo !!!!

'Nother wee update.

Made some Instrument Panels with styrene and the decals. I used Micro Sol on them and it seemed okay so slapped a bit of Micro Set on too and it started to eat them. A quick dash under water and I had to cut half the decal of one of them to save the rest so I used a few bits and bobs from a spare decal to clean it up a bit. You can see the damage caused by frantically but gently trying to remove the damaged part of the decal.

The inkjet decal paper and Microscale Liquid Decal Film really doesn't need much to set it so next time I think I'll use MicroSol very sparingly, if at all. MicroSet just ain't going near it.

I'm baffled why MicroScale made the Liquid Decal Film and the MicroSol in the same type of bottle with the same blue writing because they're far from the same product and you really do not want to get the Film stuff on a proper decal by mistake thinking it is MicroSol. No need to ask how I know this. :angry:

Anyway... I then used three of my largest Archer Rivets (brilliant things) to simulate the three dials just below the main set and a further single home made decal for the dial on the IP stem.

Currently they have a light coat of flat varnish on (Winsor and Newton Matt, goes as flat as a flat thing) and next session I'll try and "Glass" the dials with W&N Gloss and see how it turns out.

The decals / IPs certainly aren't Eduard or even Revell standard and are far from perfect but I think they'll do... Maybe... I'll have a closer look in daylight and if they really annoy me I'll strip them to plastic and try again.

Pics of the usual rubbish standard cos I still haven't bought Daylight bulbs. :blush:

IMG_2883.jpg

Yep, definately stick with it. Good to see you avoiding the temptation of using bits from the Revell kit to give yourself an easier time. More satisfaction to be gained from the finished product when it is all 'home made'.

Did some work on the interior. What interior? It's much more of an empty shell than the revell kit is so I'm busy filling in the huge gaps with spare bits of vacform plastic.

I just couldn't resist trying the bang seats in the Revell Hawk. Not a bad fit at all. :yahoo:

IMG_2884Medium.jpg

IMG_2885Medium.jpg

Love this build, by the way. I've got the Revell 1/32 Hawk glowering at me from the stash but as yet haven't dared start it. I've also a Falcom 1/48 Swift vacform which is looking slightly less intimidating after reading this thread. Thanks!

Thanks Jonny, but really mate, the 1/32 Revell Hawk doesn't "glower" it positively purrs. :winkgrin:

I mean, c'mon... Less than 18 beer tokens for that huge amount of nicely engineered (and awfully RED) plastic? I love Revell, cracking kit, well done! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Yep, definately stick with it. Good to see you avoiding the temptation of using bits from the Revell kit to give yourself an easier time. More satisfaction to be gained from the finished product when it is all 'home made'.

Thanks John, I really have been tempted to use the spare parts you gave me but I'm determined to build this thing without any bits from the Revell kit. I'll use it for reference but nothing more.

Besides, this Vacform Hawk seems more like 1/35 than 1/32. It is not exactly the same size as the Revell Hawk. Out by a few mil here and there. Close enough but not identical.

B)

• 1 month later...

I haven't had much time to do any modelling lately but here's a quick update on progress on the Hawk.

Seats and cockpit almost finished, need to finish the seatbelts. Just added the jet exhaust and a box for the front wheel. Hope to glue the fuselage together very soon and start on trying to make the pieces fit together.

IMG_2914Medium_zps6a0ac015.jpg

IMG_2918Medium_zps4a916c88.jpg

IMG_2922Medium_zps3add4db0.jpg

IMG_2924Medium_zpsa1284016.jpg

More updates soon... I hope.