BAe Hawk "Saudi Hawks"

Here is my fifth entry for this GB - the 1/72 Fujimi "Saudi Hawks" BAe Hawk. I bought the kit from Vince of modelsforsale.com (who is also offering one of these as Second Prize in this GB in addition to offering the 1/72 Fujimi Mig-29 "Stlizhi" as First Prize - see Welcome and Rules thread for details).

DSC_3681.jpg

I have used the decals from the Fujimi kit on an Airfix Hawk in the past, but a hole punch dropped from a shelf above my desk onto that model from a great height :oops: , so I might cross-kit some of the parts, such as the seats.

I saw this team for the first time at Waddington this year. In my opinion, they were not a patch on the ROKAF "Black Eagles", but it was still good to see a different team to the familiar European teams. I was looking forward to seeing them again at RIAT, but they cancelled due to pilot illness, as I understand.

I plan to complete this as an ultra-quick straight from the box build, reminiscent of the way I used to make models as a child!

Here are some of my pictures from Waddingon that will act as my inspiration!

DSC_2212.jpg

DSC_2214.jpg

DSC_2464.jpg

DSC_8707.jpg

DSC_8754.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

That'll make for an interesting scheme and build. If it helps I too photographed the Saudi Hawks close up at Waddington 2012. See link beneath

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234921584&hl=%2Bsaudi+%2Bhawk

Regards

Mark

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Thanks for the link to the pictures Mark - are you in the RAF to get so up close and personal?!

Thanks Jonathan, I read that Humbrol story somewhere when I was researching my last Saudi Hawk build. I did wonder if it was apocryphal!

Just a quick update shot to show the on-sprue painting and cockpit. I have used the seats from the Airfix Hawk, as the Fujimi head boxes were a very strange shape indeed!

DSC_3682.jpg

i have got to get me 1 of these...and its moulded in green plastic...great for the likes of me whose painting skills are not the best

The green plastic is not as hard to work with as the red that Revell used for the 1/32 Hawk!

A quick update. The kit is very basic and goes together quickly. I had to unstick the Airfix seats and saw off a lot of the seat base to make sure that they would fit under the canopy!

The fit of the parts is OK, but not exemplary!

Should be able to get it primed today.

DSC_3683.jpg

Thanks, Houston. I enjoyed the show at Waddington as well. Do you know why they only flew with five aircraft?

did you hand paint this or use an airbrush?

I received an airbrush for my birthday from my long-suffering wife, but I haven't plucked up the courage to use it yet! I sprayed the Halfords primer from the aerosol in the garden, and then applied the Humbrol #2 enamel straight from the tinlet by brush.

I think the best modelling purchase I have made was a Trumpeter battery-powered paint stirrer from Little-Cars at Southern Expo. It mixes the thick pigment from the bottom of the tinlet perfectly and quickly, ensuring easy brush application.

im sure the boss [she who must be obeyed understands,mine has had to put up with my ever growing collection of action force,gi joe,star wars and transformers action figures...as well as models].i was thinking of getting 1 of those paint mixers,are they really worth investing in?

Hi Dan.

This is a really simple kit with few parts (a lot of them being weapons that aren't used anyway!) I like quick builds straight from the box. I think that my longest-ever build was the Golden Eagle for this GB!

I hope to get some decals on today, as it doesn't look like I need to apply a second coat of Emerald.

Hi

The decals are 85% complete (or thereabouts!). I still need to fix the canopy and undercarriage doors, paint the jet pipe and drill out the APU exhaust (is that what it is?) on the top of the fuselage, which is not even represented by an engraving.

The decals (by Cartograf) have performed very well. I had a minor panic attack when the white stripes wouldn't conform to the shape of the intakes, but walking away for a while and allowing the decals to dry resulted in quite a good "fit". I chose serial "8808" because that was the only serial on the sheet that actually deisplayed at Waddington.

DSC_3893.jpg

DSC_3894.jpg

I tried to use the windscreen and canopy from the "boneyard" Airfix Hawk, because I like the engraved Miniature Deonation Cord, but despite major surgery, I could not get it to fit. Because I have used the Airfix blast screen, I tried to polish away the engraved lines on the Fujimi canopy that are supposed to represent the back-seater's blast screen, but they were too deep.

Thanks, Dan.

She's almost finished now.

I applied a thin paynes grey wash to lift the detail, as I prefer not to over-emphasise panel lines. Having said that, the paynes grey might be a bit too subtle! I still need to attach the gear doors and the smoke pod that was kindly donated by the Airfix boneyard Hawk, because Fujimi don't include one.

Pictures to follow in the next few days.

Hi

She's finished.

I know that the kit is not completely accurate for a RSAF Hawk (wing fences and nose gear landing light etc), but I am quite happy with the result except for the fit of the clear parts.

DSC_3895.jpg

DSC_3896.jpg

Here she is with the Airfix donor (seats, anti-collision light, blast screen and smoke pod.)

DSC_3897.jpg

Some of the decals are over-sized and there are some omissions on the sheet, such as ("God Bless You" on the nose). It was tricky to apply the decals on the undersides over the flap actuators which are not separate parts like the Airfix kit.

I'll post a few more in the Gallery.