How to model WW2 bullet/flak damage?

Dermo245

Hi everyone,

I'm building an 8th Air Force B-17F in 1/72 and want to replicate some battle damage to it. As far as technique goes, the consensus seems to be to thin the kit plastic so that it can be attacked with a knife or pliers. What I'm unsure of is the physics behind the real thing.

For example, if I model bullet entry holes, do I also have to replicate corresponding exit holes? Is there any pattern to them or is it entirely random? In the case of flak, does damage to say, an upper wing require a corresponding hole in the lower wing?

Sorry if the questions sound a bit thick but I'm trying to make the damage look genuine and realistic as a tribute to what the crews endured.

Many thanks in advance,

Dermot

Remember if your doing flak damage, the chances are you will see internal structure, so will have to do some scratch building.

Bullet holes, not all bullets made it through, some did. I've seen battle damage from bullets with indents from the inside where they have hit and not gone through...But as said, study photos and have a go!

I suggest that you study the thousands of photos on google images and work from reality to your model. Working from imagination to model usually turns out looking absurd with lines of machine gum holes etc

Dont "bite off more than you can chew" either - those Machine GUM holes can be tricky.... :)

Wow - how did some of those battle damaged B17s make it home?

jonners

And despite what Hollywood would have us believe, bullet holes don't follow a straight, evenly spaced line.

This is something I did with a Monogram P-40B many years ago.

P-40B3w.jpg

P-40B4w.jpg

For this I thinned down the plastic until it was nearly translucent with a Dremel tool, then used a #11 blade to poke through the paper-thin plastic to create the look I was wanting.

For the bullet hole in the "glass," I drilled a small hole and then just scribed some "spider web" fractures with the the point of a #11 blade.

P-40B2w.jpg

Edited by Don McIntyre

A .303 bullet hole in 1/48 scale is less than 7000ths of an inch in diametre. There might be more damage on the exit but I reckon it's best to stick to flak and cannon damage!

Steve

Dermo245, there IS another way to make bullet-wounds on a model. Paint a panel black and cover it with thin kitchen cooking-foil (glued-down, naturally). BEFORE the gluing, tie a knot in a cotton thread, and thread it (use a needle) through the foil (with the knot on the inside). You need only a short piece of thread poking out (2-3mm). Paint and cam the model as per normal, then (you guessed it) rip-out the knot.

Try it on a piece of plastic card, first, to see the method, and to see if you like the effect. Good luck and have fun. George, out...................

A .303 bullet hole in 1/48 scale is less than 7000ths of an inch in diametre. There might be more damage on the exit but I reckon it's best to stick to flak and cannon damage!

Steve

The projectile won't just make a small hole though, it will tend to rip and tear the skin.

Dermo245, there IS another way to make bullet-wounds on a model. Paint a panel black and cover it with thin kitchen cooking-foil (glued-down, naturally). BEFORE the gluing, tie a knot in a cotton thread, and thread it (use a needle) through the foil (with the knot on the inside). You need only a short piece of thread poking out (2-3mm). Paint and cam the model as per normal, then (you guessed it) rip-out the knot.

Try it on a piece of plastic card, first, to see the method, and to see if you like the effect. Good luck and have fun. George, out...................

Interesting approach George and definitely worth a try too - thanks!

Dermot

The projectile won't just make a small hole though, it will tend to rip and tear the skin.

Depending on many factors,not least the angle of incidence.

I've had the fortune (or misfortune) to see the result of rifle calibre strikes on both aluminium and steel skinned aircraft and vehicles,not to mention the hundreds of rounds that had struck various parts of our house in Enugu,including both galvinised steel and asbestos roofing sheets and can assure you that an entry hole ,barring the deformation of the plate,is not much larger than the diametre of the projectile.

So many rounds were fired at the windows of our house that the recesses,which contained the louvred windows,had literally been camfered off at about 45 degrees! A Landrover did a good impression of a giant colander. A British observer described the Nigerian Army on the advance as the "best defoliant known to man" because of its profligate and indiscriminate use of ammunition. He was probably correct. As a result I have seen a lot of bullet holes.

I can also describe exactly what a 20mm cannon round does to a mud built structure but that might be a bit off topic.!

Cheers

Steve

On aluminium-skinned fighters very often any damage from an enemy aircraft will be from around 6 o'clock (or 12 o'clock for frontal attacks or defensive fire) and bullet holes will look more like oblong streaks than round holes. Rifle calibre machine guns and ball .50's fired from far away will be stopped by any armour and dent it but not produce exit holes (50's from a closer distance would have gone through the armour, though). Cannon balls would often easily go through the armour (but also be deviated in their trajectory, somehow) while explosive rounds would tend to go off inside the skin causing larger damage (and sometimes just going straight through fabric without exploding. From what I have seen in photos and on the occasional relic, bullet-proof glass will stop rifle calibre machine gun bullets but will leave a spider-web of crack marks, while non-armoured plexiglass will tend to have irregular chunks broken off (unlike what you see in flight simulations) from the little I have seen in photos (I am happy to stand corrected on this one if anyone knows better!).

@ Steve and @ Super Aereo - thanks for the info.

@ Dan - that's an awesome build by Si in 1/48 and will check it out some more! (though the missus and neighbours may not be happy with live fire exercises at home!)

@ Don - nice find and I guess there's a decal for everything these days.

Hope to start this build in a few days and am grateful for how helpful people are on Britmodeller.

Cheers,

Dermot