Phantom Wheels

Simon Cornes

Just a quick query. What colour are the main gear hubs? Hasegawa say black but most jets have white wheel hubs (Okay, I know Typhoons have essentially natural metal main gear hubs) and so I wondered whether they are white but heavilly stained with brake dust or actually painted black? Referring to the Linewrights book on the F-4J(UK) then they certainly look black but there are bits of other colour (white?).

Many thanks

Simon

Edited by Simon Cornes

It might depend which Phantom you mean. I've built two from Hasegawa in 1/48 and have two more waiting, and the instructions are/were to paint all the hubs white. That's one USN, one USMC, and two UK.

I had the misfortune of working in the wheel bay at Leuchars for a while and can confirm that we had a mixture of white and black main wheels (after they had been cleaned or transferred all that black dust to me). I can also confirm that it was the most soul destroying job I ever did only made bareable by the presence of a chap by the name of Dave Herzog!

Edited by Duncan B

I had the misfortune of working in the wheel bay at Leuchars for a while and can confirm that we had a mixture of white and black main wheels.

I can remember fitting one of each colour to a Phantom when at St Athan.

Thats priceless guys - so it is genuine brake dust, I thought as much. I'll try to get a few minor flecks of white in there, probably to highlight the detail, because I'm using some nice resin wheels!

Thanks again,

Simon