1/72 Macchi MC.202

I'm in! I've been keenly watching this GB but didn't have any suitable markings for anything in my stash...until now. Just got hold of the Tauro Models sheet with markings for a plane from 378 Squadrilia, 155 Gruppo, 51st Stormo. Using the Italeri kit and I have a True Details resin interior somewhere too, hope it fits it's for the Hasegawa kit.

With only 3 weeks left I'm gonna have to really step on it, this could be a new personal best!

Cheers

Segan

macchi-1.jpg

Here's the resin interior set from True Details. Not yet sure if it's going to fit as it's meant for the Hasegawa kit. Going to thin the sidewalls a bit and attach the resin sides to them directly, the instructions call for the whole thing to be constructed and then dropped into the kit. Been test fitting and this seems unlikely to work! If it comes to it I have a spare of the fuselage and may live with the not too bad sidewall detail from the kit and use the lovely floor, seat and panel from the resin.

macchi-2.jpg

Here's the resin interior set from True Details. Not yet sure if it's going to fit as it's meant for the Hasegawa kit. Going to thin the sidewalls a bit and attach the resin sides to them directly, the instructions call for the whole thing to be constructed and then dropped into the kit. Been test fitting and this seems unlikely to work! If it comes to it I have a spare of the fuselage and may live with the not too bad sidewall detail from the kit and use the lovely floor, seat and panel from the resin.

macchi-2.jpg

Nice work on the resin, hope you get it all to fit...

Main construction is done, little dab of filler here and there but nothing major. Managed to remove the radio mast, case of too much force and butter fingers, doh! I'll reattach that today me thinks and hopefully get some pre shading done.

Cheers

Segan

macchi-4.jpg

10 days till the end of the GB and I'm chugging along nicely. Fingers crossed I'll make the deadline.

Painted the white band a white with a hint of desert yellow to warm it up a bit, masked that, painted the underside, masked that, masked the windows and sprayed them Verde Anticorrosione and then sprayed the whole lot Italian light hazel.

Started masking the little squiggly blotches using silly putty, realised that I would end up with nothing to hold onto if I did it all! Going to spray the green aft of the white stripe and then mask the rest of it.

cheers

Segan

macchi-6.jpg

macchi-7.jpg

macchi-8.jpg

Change of plan, the splotches look awful using the silly putty as the edges come out too hard. So, going to spray the whole thing green and freehand the splotches, ulp! :unsure:

Good luck! :popcorn:

Cliff

Go for it man! I put smoke rings on the same model, freehanding it with my Iwata. I used drying retarder and fairly thin paint. The real trick was to do maybe two or three, then transfer to cardboard, give the airbrush 'full noise' to clean it out and rest my hand (the Iwata is fairly heavy).

It came out like this:

Mc202-1.jpg

Thanks guys! And Peter your smoke rings look brilliant. What do you use as a retarder? I kept a cotton bud soaked in ammonia handy to clean the nozzle every so often but there was the odd splat!

Spraying splotches is way more fun and satisfying than sticking blobs down and lot quicker too. Pretty pleased how it came out, going to touch up the green a little in a few places but on the whole I think it looks how it should. As you can see it's a pretty effective camouflage for my dining table!

macchi-9.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend

I think you really nailed it! It's surprisingly hard to make your splotches (or rings) roughly equal in size and spacing, or at least it is for me. Your results look fantastic. I am looking forward to further progress.

I use a product from an art shop, the brand is 'Matisse'.

Thanks guys and I think I'll have to get some of that Matisse retarder, cheers for the tip Peter.

Gave her a coat of future and she is all ready for decals. The wheel wells are a little shallow near the center of the fuselage so I gave them a little bit of Tamiya smoke to make them look deeper.

macchi-11.jpg

macchi-10.jpg

cheers

Segan

:speak_cool: very nice ! what do you use for panel line wash ?

:cheers: cheers, Ragnar

Hello Ragnar

I used a thinned down mix of dark brown enamel. Before putting it on the model is sealed with Future. The Future is acrylic so the you can be quite liberal with the enamel as they don't react with each other. I then wipe off the excess enamel with a soft cloth (bit of an old T-shirt) dipped in enamel thinners, making sure to wipe in the direction of travel which gives you slight streaks.

Camera is all charged up and here are some more pics.

After the panel wash I gave her a matt coating and did a little bit of weathering. My reference pics don't show the 202s being particularly tatty, unlike those poor Malta birds, so did a light exhaust stain and a bit of dirt. Did some chipping around the heavy use areas and a few other places. I've seen a few pictures of armourers standing on the forward part of the wing root to reload the nose guns so put a bit of wear there too. Earlier I had drilled out the air filter entrance and made a new butterfly valve which I modeled in the open position. Replaced the kit undercarriage secondary struts with brass tubing as the kit ones are bit ropey. Added aerial wires from EZ line and nitinol. Decided to close the cockpit, even though there is some lovely resin in there, as I love the lines of the 202 and having the cockpit open kind of spoils that. It's only lightly glued on if I change my mind later!

So here she is. Italeri kit with a Small Parts resin interior, decals are a mix of the kit ones and Tauro decals. The kit is an absolute dream and would be great without any extra work. The Tauro decals were good on flat surfaces but the ones for the undercarriage covers would not lie down at all, I ended up chopping off the the prong parts and using them and then painting the rest of the arrow.

I really, really enjoyed this build and as my first GB here I had a blast. Here's to many more. :cheers:

macchi-16.jpg

macchi-18.jpg

macchi-15.jpg

macchi-21.jpg