XT601 Wessex SAR2 a portrait in progress

Super stuff. This one really has repaid the effort you put into it. I'm Beginning to think I should send you my half-finished Frog Javelin restoration to get it done quicker and better!

I like your sense of humour :)

You didn't realise I've been at this since about October as my missus hates me making models (thought you'd grown out of that After thirty years not modelling...) and monopolises my "study"

And I am enjoying you making the Javs, ta very much.

Anyway

Did you realise that sh.t happens is absolutely true?

Today I painted both sets of rotors blades and after semi matt varnishing the main rotor I masked my homemade tail whizzer to paint the silver leading edges and when unmasking sh.t happened

SARWessexSARkit18011.jpg

Then I lost the first blade that demounted on unmasking and the second one I snapped off whilst fumbling with the blimmin' thing, so I had to make a pair of replica blades. Thank God for Zip Kicker

Anyway, more good news at last. I couldn't get Humbrol satin acrylic varnish at the local shop and had to buy Tamiya's ludicrously tiny spray can of semi gloss acrylic at nearly a third more than the Humbrol ones.

This enabled me to finish spraying the 'copter and start whipping off the Maskol and Tamiya Tape masking

Which gave me a start (of the shocked nature) the upper windows on both sides of the cabin had a beautiful yellow overspray. Luckily Xtracolour can be removed with Humbrol Liquid Poly on a brush and with a toothpick

Phew

Here's a taster of the recently unmasked but not yet tidied up cockpit

Lots of detailing to do so I may not quite have her finished by Sunday, so she may display "nearly-not-quite"

SARWessexSARkit18012.jpg

maybe more tomorrow, depends on progress now (Been working on the blinkin' motor car today, busy bloke y'see) :(

bill

Edited by perdu

Although the photo is rather small Bill....it does look fantastic!..you really have made something very special from a couple of fuselage halfs !...Brilliant. ;)

Thanks Fozzy and Christof, small picture 'cos it's not much to look at yet :)

Done quite a bit more today, painted the starboard oleo leg green and the swivel axle grey

This happened a lot with Wesexii, changes of spare parts meant that units didn't always get the same coloured "bits" back. I have several pictures of 601 in this sort of trim, sometimes black oleos sometimes yellow.

Also added the service plates to the oleos and the tailwheel beam

As she sometimes didn't have the black distorted kick pad painted on, which is a look that I don't like, I've picked the time when she was two coloured starboard u'cart and all yellow port side u/cart.

SARWessexSARkit19003.jpg

Also added the lower end high voltage aerial and prepared the upper one for later fitting.

Also made the underslung load system, four wire strops and a heavy duty hook and will be fitting that and the renewed tail rotor tonight

Lots of other detail too, aerials and handles mostly plus adding the doors to the cockpit and fuselage side after finishing adding the winch cabling which I seem to be putting off :(

Not sure why it's taking me so long to get down to it, must be Westland fatigue

More later and I think it wil be in show an' tell soon

Thanks for those commenting and letting me know someone is looking

Cheers

bill

Thanks for those commenting and letting me know someone is looking

Cheers

bill

Hi Bill,

I've been watching, but have been a bit tardy in commenting - but I do have to say that this is a cracking build of another ancient classic! Very neat work indeed! I 'inherited' one of these in a part built state when a close friend passed on, but I hadn't even considered doing anything to it until seeing your thread - it's certainly provided the necessary inspiration!

Cheers

Keef

Cheers Keef, always like making something that needs just a bit more than usual to it

Hope you get on OK with yours when the inspiration grabs you

Beginning to look as if this will be finished in time for Cosford, we'll see. Been making small searchlights, one for under the fuselage by the tail and one under each undercarriage arm

Starting to work out how the underslung load hook is tied up to keep it all shipshape until its load carrying abilities are called for

I gather it's held up by a length of para cord but not sure what it's tied TO

Probably be a new picture or two tomorrow :(

bill

Still a few bits and bobs to sort out, HOW DO I GLUE THE JETPIPES ONTO A GLOSSY FUSELAGE? EEK

Aerials and handles and that blooming sling attachment, just isn't quite on any pictures I've got

but I will pop a "pull it to pieces set" on RFI next week...after Cosford

far too much to do first :(

Anyway, forgive the blur

SARWessexSARkit20010.jpg

minor detailing includes the search light at the starboard u/c leg

and the very blurry image of the lower tail section with its light affixed

SARWessexSARkit20011.jpg

And now I am off for a kip

see you all tomorrow

bill

Edited by perdu

OK these will be the last in here

This was quite enjoyable for me, gave me a chance to re-hone my old skills

So it was "how do we get from here

SARWessex2002.jpg

via here

SARWessexSARkit3013.jpg

and here

SARWessexSARkit9014.jpg

to here

SARWessexSARkit21001.jpg

here

SARWessexSARkit21010.jpg

and here

SARWessexSARkit21008.jpg

That will be all from me here, I've just two more items to finish, the debris filter mesh to be scribed to show the metal mesh and (now finished and mounted) the tail warning beacon from stretched clear sprue

Hope you enjoyed it

I did

bill

Edited by perdu

Beautiful....I love it Bill ;) ...always loved the look of the Wessex...we used to work with 28 Sqn Hong Kong( Wessex)back in the 80s when I was in the AAC.......bring on RFI!

Thanks for the encouragement

She now sits in RFI with everything I can think of done and dusted

Cheers again

She will be gracing the table at Cosford tomorrow along with her green sister underneath TSR2 fuselage

Pop over and have a chat

Bill

• 5 years later...

Goshdarnit Bill! There I am trying to catch up on Martian's 'Last Cruise' build and now  this cornucopia appears. All kinds of moulding and melting goodness to brazenly appropriate feast upon. I love the sense of freedom you show with trial and experiment here - completely up my street. :D

Tony

• Like 1

5 years ago!  Before I joined the forum, pretty much.

Lovely, lovely refurb - no, total te-build, to be honest.

Only one thing wrong with it, mate...

Should be red & grey, not yellow!

Top job.

Crisp

• Like 1