1/72 Beaufighter

Hi everyone, just thought I might try my hand at a WIP to help motivate myself to get into some modelling. I've had the Hasegawa Beaufighter for a couple of years and recently got the Eduard etched set for the Mk21. I made a start with it and with a week off work but spending it visiting family I can get the rest of the fuselage bits together and paint it all when I get home again (at least thats the plan) so a couple of pics to see what the hell I'm on about

Beau2.jpg

Beau.jpg

I have a few different markings for the RAAF mk21, but like the idea of doing an RAAF mkVI as these are a lot less mentioned although one of my books has a photo of a silver mk21 sitting in a paddock "awaiting disposal".

Cheers Callum

Made a little progress today, damm some of these etched parts are fragile and others are just hard to see. but this is the bulk of the easy parts on with a coat of white primer to see how it looks. undercarrage doors look great just wanna get home now so I can get the interior green painted and start on the instruments (I'm currently 600kms away from home and work desk lucky my brother is into warhammer stuff and has some things I can use) although I have had no interest on here with this its just the beginning and the photos sucked and there is bugger all to see really so I'll keep posting and see what happens

beau4.jpg

beau3.jpg

beau2-1.jpg

beau1.jpg

the majority of this will be hidden so the roughness of my building won't show up so much I hope once its finished

cheers for now

Callum

Looks like a great start. :thumbsup:

I intend to learn a lot about "etch" from this.

Dont worry if things go a bit "scratchy" we will all be along with you, helping or hinting. There is always a way to get outta jail in modelling. ;)

And anyway, it has to be worth doing, its a Beaufighter! :)

Well thank you everybody for your kind comments and any hints and tips will be most usefull. I've managed to get all the little boxes (and I mean little) folded ready for painting and placement some of these things have another 3 or 4 parts that have to be attached (throttle levers ,instruments god knows what else :blink: ) but this is all I can do till I get home now. I am looking forward to getting it painted so I can start getting it all together but heres a couple more photos. just hope I can remember which box goes where although I have used a guide with the cockpit bits the rest is just fingers crossed. There is also a photo of what my brother has built and painted in the same time I have done this lot hehe. He showed me what his etched brass consists of then I showed him mine for some reason he thinks I'm off my head. Good times.

cheers for now gents and happy modelling

Callum

boxes3.jpg

boxes2.jpg

boxes1.jpg

tank.jpg

PS I wanted to give this one a bit more than oob because she is a Beaufighter and Aussie as well, it was a choice between a resin cockpit or this etched set from the Hannants site

Evening folks, I've been getting stuck into this the last couple of nights. I bought a new airbrush and compresser last May and finally used them. I've been wanting to change from enamuals to acrillics so while I have stock piling the new paint I've been a bit nervous spraying them but now I've done it and wow they are heaps better no more smell of turps everywhere and cleaning is heaps easier as well. So I've now painted the interior and most parts. The cockpit sides are very fragile I ended up breaking both sides off now. I hope they don't break again as it'll really suck to try and fix when all the throttles and levers and stuff get put in.

cockpit.jpg

I wish I could see the parts as well as my camera can, those side panels in the cockpit look so clear, but gee my painting really sux and the coloured bits were done with a tooth pick took quite a while creating that mess

eyeopener.jpg

port1.jpg

I've tried my hand at using a wash to try and bring out the detail a bit it didn't work so well in the fuselage but it looks okay in the U/C bays and doors

wing1.jpg

doors1.jpg

then there is the instrument panel and radios they look okay but to much colour

radios.jpg

the observers area is looking okay just needs some touching up

rearcockpit.jpg

and thats it so far now I get into the really tiny bits but any comments or hints most welcome

cheers

Callum

sorry a couple of photos are a bit off

Hi Guys well just a couple of looks at the completed interior before the fuselage was joined. I'm actually quite happy with the front office my painting is over done but with the canopy on it just helps the details stand out. I still seem to have a few parts of etched left over but meh what can you do. Apart from a final coat of matt and the front rings for the exhaust its all done pretty much. I went to my first model club the other night and got a load of information on some of the exterior details and colours off a lovely gentleman who's name escapes me now , but he's working on a set to make a Beaufighter target tug and I think it will be available from Red Roo models very soon if any one is interested:) But anyway heres a couple more photos the rear area is average but I'm pretty stoked with the front makes the whole exercise worth doing.

rear.jpg

cockpitin.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

So I guess the next post will be in Ready for inspection. Sorry this hasn't been a super detailed post on the Beaufighter. There is alot that could be done to this kit. I toyed with the idea of opening up the front and rear crew hatches on the bottom and the canopies but thats a little beyond me. The Eduard set is worth it for the cockpit alone which is the area I most wanted to fix up. I've got a Mitchell to go through the same process now then I'll try my hand at making my own detail for a Beaufort interior to go with the special hobby kit

Cheers for now

Callum