Airfix 1/24 FW-190-f8

TnF3

I started building one of these a loooooong time ago (you don't want to know how many years).

Was never very happy with it and came across it again a month or so ago while clearing out the garage. Unfortunately, I was even less happy with it this time round so it went in the bin.

Quite tempted to start another one now though, but I probably ought to ease myself back into the hobby with something smaller (and cheaper!).

Thanks for the comments guys. Kooky, I started this one a long time ago too, it’s probably due a 1st birthday any day.

Yellow14lower-1.jpg

Yellow14A-1.jpg

I think I’d better explain the reasoning behind the colours I have chosen for this scheme, (pulls ring pull on can of worms) the joy of late war Luftwaffe schemes.

After looking at the available pictures of Yellow 14, and looking at pictures of other half built or under repair airframes, I’ve assumed that the fuselage was battle damaged and went for repair at some point in its career. And I believe the practice was that the repaired sections received a coat of what ever paint was handy; in this case the lower fuselage appears to have a coat of RLM 75. I have also used RLM 81 on the rear fuselage as this seems to be another paint extensively used at depot. Another reason for using 81 is there is no tonal difference between the upper colours which suggests RLM 83 and 81, as there would be a noticeable difference between RLM 75 and 83. Now I know there is some debate as to whether the lower section is natural metal, painted or just dirty. I don’t think it’s dirt as the line between the centre section of the fuselage and the wing is straight and follows the panel lines, if it was dirt the line would be “blurred” or follow the airflow patterns. And for me, I think it’s just too dark for natural metal (see contrast between the bare metal sections of the wing and centre fuselage), so that’s why I believe it was painted in RLM 75.

The tail section appears to be a new build/refurbished item as is the engine. The wings I believe would be new build as there are sections of natural metal on the lower surface typical of late war production, I will be painting the wing upper surface colours RLM 77, 75 and 83 this is because the photo shows quite a difference between shades, and I believe 77 was often used as a primer/camouflage colour and 75 and 83 were the typical upper surface colours.

Fuscolour1.jpg

Fuscolour4.jpg

Fuscolour6.jpg

Fuscolour10.jpg

I got some decals made by Peddinghaus decals, very quick and very helpful. Never having used them before, hopefully they will go on as well as they look!

Decalsheet-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll leave the can of worms open and retire to a safe distance.

Thats a nice interesting scheme you've chosen there. I think RLM77 was used more than most people think it was. It was certainly used on the Bf-109K4, and to a lesser extent on the Fw-190D so no reason why it wouldn't have been used on your F-8.

If it all goes together!, i'm going to be spraying up an A-8 with part NMF wing undersides, as part of the Fw-190 Group Build.

Edited by tank152

• 8 months later...

This is more a Happy birthday than update, has it been going for a year already? Things haven't moved on much since the last update, wings painted and it now sits on it's wheels. I have started to do a little weathering in preparation for decaling and I need to steal the wing bomb racks from my stuka, can't remember when that went into the loft. Next will be finishing the canopy and cockpit. So should be done in about another six months :thumbsup2:

Fw190birthday3.jpg

Fw190birthday1.jpg

Fw190birthday2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Progress has been very slow, mostly due to a port main leg collapse, closely followed by any desire to finish her!

Anyway several months later and having abandoned her sitting lopsidedly on top of a wardrobe, I had a flash of inspiration (or guilt at abandoning her) and decided to give it another go. After stuffing some black milliput into the undercarriage bay to support both legs she's back on two and a half wheels and on the production line and dangerously close to completion.

IMGP1797_zps7677b7a7.jpg

IMGP1804_zpsde25c08a.jpg

IMGP1803_zps63adf3ba.jpg

IMGP1806_zps121ddb36.jpg

well she now sits squarely, so I'll get on with adding the breakables and finally wrap her up.

• 1 month later...

Well, this is it. Gonna call this one done.

Although it has taken far longer than I had planned for, I'm quite happy with the result.

Thanks for everyone's comments, they are very much appreciated.

IMGP1860_zps3f1cc805.jpg

IMGP1859_zps96016771.jpg

IMGP1858_zps673aa4f4.jpg

IMGP1861_zpsc1ba499e.jpg

IMGP1862_zps35d06e23.jpg

• Like 4

She looks superb.

I like how you've left the radio antenna wire slack,I remember reading somewhere that one of

the 190 aces reckoned the roller mech.in the hood was broken on his a/c so that with the hood

open,the wire hung down on the fuselage causing it to flap about and "drum" on the fuse. side

whilst taxying.

Said he'd never forget that sound,it reminded him of flying his 190.

This is great. I am collecting the Airfix 1/24 scale kits at the moment and hope that mine turn out this well. Top notch mate.

Tom.

Thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated.

I'm working my way through the big Airfix kits too Tom.

Next up is the 109, but I'll be lucky to finish it before the next ice age ;)

• Like 1