Hi from the US of A

Grant

Well here we are in high, sunny Colorado, at the start of a high altitude test session with the AW101.

Just to prove how high you can get, here is a shot of me at the CottonWood pass, all 12126ft of it - and it is a tarmac road all the way to the top (on the East side anyway). You should see the size of the rigs the Americans were driving up and down the narrow mountains roads!

ldvl08_1.jpg

And here is the aircraft arriving at Leadville, at a lowly 9927ft. Now don't expect a flood of detailed pictures. I have to be careful with what I put up, so this is a shot from a public area, that anybody could have taken.

ldvl08_2.jpg

They get some interesting stuff in here. Early one morning I spotted a K-Max, a rare sight indeed. Apparently there are only 8 in the US, out of the 38 built.

ldvl08_3.jpg

ldvl08_4.jpg

ldvl08_5.jpg

cheers

Grant von OutofBreath

Edited by Grant

Nice photos,I cannot wait to see what the final AW-101 will look like. Also is it me or the K-Max uglier than a love child of Prince Charles and Camilla (now there is a scary thought).

I think it is a fantastic machine. Designed for a purpose, with no compromise. Brilliant.

As it flew away all you could see of the rotor was the high pitched retreating blades so it looked like it was flapping. And is was very quiet aswell, light I know, but still quiet.

A cool lifting machine.

Cheers

Grant

Well here we are in high, sunny Colorado, at the start of a high altitude test session with the AW101.

Just to prove how high you can get, here is a shot of me at the CottonWood pass, all 12126ft of it - and it is a tarmac road all the way to the top (on the East side anyway). You should see the size of the rigs the Americans were driving up and down the narrow mountains roads!

ldvl08_1.jpg

cheers

Grant von OutofBreath

Big butterfly wing is i say so myself! :analintruder:

Is this the for the presidential variant, or just a general high altitude test?

Not specifically for the VH-71. We have a new tailrotor and a new set of main rotor blades to test. It is more of a general product improvement and we are here to gather the certification data.

It is quite spectacular here, watching thunderstorms rumble up the valley. How often do you get to step outside and see a 10000ftish cloud base just a few hundered feet above you?!!

cheers

Grant

Heyup Grant... you don't look very happy in that first pic! Cheer up lad :lol:

Cool pics... what the HELL is the K-Max when it's at home? Never seen or heard of it before. It looks like a renault Berlingo van with rotors! :S

Cool pics... what the HELL is the K-Max when it's at home? Never seen or heard of it before. It looks like a renault Berlingo van with rotors! :S

IIRC it's a utility helicopter from the same stable as the Seasprite and the Husky, with which it shares the characteristic intermeshing rotor concept.

Joseph

What the camera doesn't show is the wind and the rain - and the lack of Oxygen - oh and the jet lag. Having said that some would say that was my normal expression!

We are now into data gathering, which means early starts, so that is an 05:00hrs lift from the hotel :mental: . I didn't spot that in the job description when I signed up.

And now at 22:00hrs mountain time (what a great phrase that is) it is way past my bed time.

cheers

Grant

cool pics Grant. looks like you've got a cracking job with AW. i'm very jealous!

It's fun for a little while, and then the alarm goes off at 0 dark 30, 6 days a week for 2 months!! Luckily I am only here for one of those months. But I must admit I have been lucky and been sent to lots of places I didn't ever expect to get too, and got paid for it to boot.

cheers

Grant (getting flooded out by rain again)

Ah well, think of the poor boys and girls who'll be taking your birds to places hot and high, working worse hours, and getting shot at to boot!

lol, that'll be me, and that'll be why i'm jealous of Grant! :P

Edited by paul_c

Little over a week or so ago I hiked to the second highest peak in the state of Nevada, Wheeler Peak at 13,055'

The physiologists were right - there really ISN'T a lot of air up there !! ^_^

I think it took me three days or so to catch my breath again!

Cool pix; Thanx...it would be super if you could wander over to Pike's Peak and very the scenery from there.