Finnish MiG-21 Bis recon versions?

Killingholme

Hi all,

I know the Finns converted some of their MiG-21 Bis aicraft to a recon role in order to replace their withdrawn Mig-21 F-13s (which carried underwing photo pods)

Photos of these aircaft show small wing tip antennas just like the Russian recon version, the MiG-21R. However, the photo pod (central) doesn't look like those carried on the Russian '-R'. Was this made locally? If so, does anyone have any details of its construction/ drawings etc? To my untrained eye it looks a lot like a converted fuel tank!

I want to enter the 'Soviet in Foreign Service' groupbuild using a Zvezda MiG-21 Bis. The decal option is for MG-125 which was one of those converted to recon standards, and I fancy doing the job properly!

cheers,

Will

the finnish one is new to me. dont know much about what they used... but whats the kit quality like?

Sorry for just poping in like that,but i want to answer Mr.cool Jules question.

I have bought several Zvezda Migs both Pmf/Pf and Bis versions i even made one Mg-125.

The kit is molded nicely,cockpit looks fine,so does the wheel bay.

Molding is crisp with minimal flash,clear parts are a bit blurry but some polishing.

Wheels are incorrect,wheelbay's look ok,but some more detail would be nice to make.

Decals are for two versions one Russian and one Finnish.

It has a nice amount of weapons,and nicely detailed engine bucket (cant recall the other word for this).

All in all i got each for less than 7 pounds,so a very nice deal,there are alot of aftermarket products,a huge variety of decals-from Cuba to Saudi Arabia.

Now here are some general and detail/cockpit pics of Finnish Mig-21Bis.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

KM-1.jpg

Mig-21Bis.jpg

Mikoyan-GurevichMiG-21bis1.jpg

Mikoyan-GurevichMiG-21bisaircraftpicture.jpg

Mikoyan-GurevichMiG-21biscockpit.jpg

Hope this is helpful to anyone.

Kind regards,Sven.

There is a detailed discussion of the kit over at http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=91744

kit instructions:

http://www.zvezda.org.ru/images/sets/photoes/7259/01.pdf

sprue shots:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/februa.../zvezda_mig.php]

I look forward to building one to fit in my collection of Finnish AF types- assuming I can get the detail correct. A search of this very forum has already given me details about small diferences, such as the colour of the instrument panel (which was a replacement and NOT painted soviet green) and other details.

hope this helps.

Will

Edited by Killingholme

I know the Finns converted some of their MiG-21 Bis aicraft to a recon role in order to replace their withdrawn Mig-21 F-13s (which carried underwing photo pods)

Photos of these aircaft show small wing tip antennas just like the Russian recon version, the MiG-21R. However, the photo pod (central) doesn't look like those carried on the Russian '-R'. Was this made locally? If so, does anyone have any details of its construction/ drawings etc? To my untrained eye it looks a lot like a converted fuel tank!

Hi Will,

They used Vinten-recce pods with tail resembling a MiG-21 drop tank.

Try to have a look of this book: http://ebookee.org/MiG-21-in-Finnish-Air-F...-1-_375411.html

Greetings,

AC

staying with the mig 21 theme , anybody know of paint matches for the cockpit colour? I use acrylics so the options may be limited.

trying to match the photoetch colour in the eduard kit.

how different is the bis version to the mf? the finnish ones look cool - nice pictures by the way Sven!

Kind Regards

Rogerd

Galdecal do the finnish recce pod in 1.72

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GALR7201

Julien

I think they were hung under the wings of the MiG-21/F-13s (which I also intend to build in the future). The MiG-21/Bis pods were hung ventrally on the fuselage. I am a big fan of Galdecal- they make modelling the Finnish AF from the UK a realistic possibility- I find Finnish a very tricky language to get my head around!

Will

staying with the mig 21 theme , anybody know of paint matches for the cockpit colour? I use acrylics so the options may be limited.

trying to match the photoetch colour in the eduard kit.

how different is the bis version to the mf? the finnish ones look cool - nice pictures by the way Sven!

Kind Regards

Rogerd

Hi Roger,

I'm also an acrylics user and on my MiG21 I used Tamiya TS-41 'Coral Blue' for the interior as it's the closest I've seen to this 'orrible' bright turquoise colour, it is however a synthetic laquer in a spray can and dries very glossy.

Hope this helps..... Simon

I've had good results mixing two vallejo colours: 840 light turquoise and 969 park green. Depending on the colour required, I add more or one of the other. Together they cover all the range from a bluer blue-green to a greener blue-green

Hello!

Finnish AF reconnaissance MiG-21BISes (sometimes referred as MGT in documents) do not have anything in common with the Soviet R type.

The MGTs were modifed from the normal BIS-models in Finland. The system was specified and designed in Finland too. From memory the main outwardly visible differences were:

- all reconnaissance and ECM equipment was of Western origin

- There was ECM related "pods" at wing tips and two small radomes on the vertical fin tip facing backwards. Changes to the white navigation lights resulted. The wing tip pods were made in Finland.

- Rear airbrake and it's hydraulic cylinder was removed. No room for it to open with some pod versions.

- I think the MGT also got second generator installed. I have to admit not being sure if this could be seen outwardly (intakes or somesuch). I would guess not visible.

- Under fuselage pylon was also Finnish-made. You have to eyeball it, I fear.

- the IFF antenna under nose was relocated somewhat because installation option for certain antenna (which in the end was not installed on most MGTs)

- instrument panel was different from the fighter one. For example the radar scope was missing. Right side panel has also some differencies from the fighter version.

- the fighter gun sight was removed and control panel for camera was intalled instead of it on camera planes. Late in their career some MGT were returned to the Fighter Squadron 31 as they were running low on serviceable macines. These MGTs did get the gun sight reinstalled and were IIRC used for training. There is an example photo(s) shown above.

I probably have forgotten some details.

You could make the Vinten camera pod from a BAe Hawk drop tank. Sand the lower front end at suitable angle. Search for photos of Hawks in the FinnAF reconnaissance squadron (tiedustelulentolaivue at Tikkakoski AFB). They carried the same Vinten pod(s). I remember seeing some good photos on net. IIRC there were some buffeting problems with the Vinten/MGT installation and they were resolved by adding MiG-21 drop tank rear end to the Vinten pod. I have to say I am not sure if this modification was really used operationally and if yes how often.

I know there would be some more specific information available, but it may still be sort of secret or confidential. The Vinten pod for example is still operational? Work from photos of the individual you are going to model. I would like some day model the recce MiG MG-124 as I worked in it's 250 FH overhaul when I was trainee for a short period at the Valmet Lentokonetehdas. It was also one of those which wore the Tiedustelulentolaivue emblem on fin. Though not any more at that time I worked on it.

Jyrki Laukkanen has authored magnificent photo book of Finnish Air Force MiG-21s. Published by Apali. This is the number one published source for the interested ones:

http://www.apali.fi/uk/mig21_uk.html I think the book has at least summary (and captions?) in English.

cheers,

Kari

Kari, I don't know how to thank you! The information is superb and it is always great to hear from a chap who worked on the aircraft with their own hands. This is more then enough for me to convert my Zvezda Kit.

(My Finnish friend has ordered a copy of the book and I will get it sent to me soon)

Will