Hispano HA-1112s, BoB movie Messrs

Now what in the world are a couple of Hispano Ha-1112s doing with squared of wingtips? :whistle:

A few modifications to the Hobby Craft 1/48 Ha-1112 kits in an attempt to produce a reasonably accurate model of the BoB Messerschmitt stand-ins.

A few added details to the cockpits

DSCN2791.jpg

I opened up the coolant flaps and added representations of radiators

DSCN3023.jpg

DSCN3024.jpg

Wingtips were clipped and..........

DSCN3013.jpg

.........squared tips added.

DSCN3213.jpg

DSCN3208.jpg

DSCN3212.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

If anyone is interested I'll make a short write up of the project, if not enjoy the pics! B)

Edited by Yankymodeler

nice work on an unusual model.... what scale is it?

They are the Hobby Craft 1/48 kits. One is the 'Civilschmitt' the other the standad HA-1112 No differences really, just some extra markings in the Civilschmitt.

I'm hoping to do this in 1/72 sometime soon so any & all info you can share will be very welcome. I'll be watching this with interest anyhow.

Steve.

Steve,

It's hard to believe but I was not able to find much technical information on the modifications to the Buchons for BoB. There are some descriptions about "removing the rounded wingtips and fairing over the ends" and adding the tail braces but not much more. I did find some pictures on the web taken 'behind the scenes' so to speak of the Buchons and the 2 Casas on the ground at Duxford during the filming. I used panel lines visible in the photographs to get fairly close to the dimensions of the wingtips and they pass the *TLAR test when compared to still pictures and many private screenings of the movie. I hope to get some paint on them this weekend and will write up a short build article.

Eric

*That Looks About Right :hmmm:

Update 24Oct10 Got the first coat of paint on the Buchons. Against hope (but as expected <_< ) there are a number of areas that require attention. I used the same paint as will be used for the final finsh, it gives me an idea how the colors play off each other. Rather than be concerned on trying to match any one color to the accepted standard, an exercise I think is somewhat futile considering the many variations that can occur with any paint, :angrysoapbox.sml: I try to replicate the overall effect. Any way here is my progress to date

DSCN3436.jpg

DSCN3438.jpg

DSCN3439.jpg

A solid coat of color brings the wingtip shape to focus.

DSCN3441.jpg

DSCN3443.jpg

ERWIN and johnnyboy,

Thanks much for the pics! I have only seen much smaller and low resolution copies of some of these, the ones you've sent will be a great help. :thumbsup: I hope to get the final paint on this weekend so I can get going with my 'movie star' Spits and Hurris! (there may be a couple of Casa 2-111s waiting in the wings, :whistle: I just need to find some Merlin engines for the conversions!)

ERWIN and johnnyboy,

Thanks much for the pics! I have only seen much smaller and low resolution copies of some of these, the ones you've sent will be a great help. :thumbsup: I hope to get the final paint on this weekend so I can get going with my 'movie star' Spits and Hurris! (there may be a couple of Casa 2-111s waiting in the wings, :whistle: I just need to find some Merlin engines for the conversions!)

[/quote

In which case these might be useful

2-2.jpg

gj.jpg

S4.jpg

s7.jpg

S6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a little time to work on the Messrs. :yahoo: The initial coat of paint revealed a few areas needing attention and a light sanding with 1500 paper made the surface ready for final paint. The Hispanos used to film BoB appeared to be pretty close to the accepted Luftwaffe colors of the period, so I began with Model Master RLM65 on the under surfaces and sides of the fuselage. From studying the film and still photographs (thank you to all who supplied additional pics!) the areas of green seemed to be a bit darker and more olive than references to RLM 71 indicate. :hmmm: Using my time tested TLAR* method I chose Tamiya Dark Green acrylic. Reasoning the gray was fairly close to RLM02, the matching Model Master color was applied. Triumphantly removing the masking I inspected my handiwork. Hmm....something wasn't right. :wall: It took me a day or so before I came to the conclusion that the contrast between the green and gray was too strong, and that between the blue and gray too weak. A couple of drops of black into the RLM02 and a respray passed another TLAR* test. :analintruder: Before I ramble on too long here are a few pics. They were taken in a couple different lighting scenarios. The first were in sunlight that tended to wash out the colors, the last under the halogen light on my work desk that produced pics that show the colors and contrast somewhat more as they appear to the eye.

The Messr on the right has been resprayed with the slightly darker gray. The difference was much more apparent in real life.

DSCN3453.jpg

DSCN3473.jpg

DSCN3479.jpg

These pics are under the work light and give a closer appearance to the actual colors.

DSCN3475.jpg

DSCN3476.jpg

DSCN3478.jpg

So far I'm fairly satisfied with how the Messrs are progressing

Eric

Edited by Yankymodeler

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry chaps for not getting an update out sooner have been busy at work and home, and I must admit to flying my biplane :pilot: with what little free time I had. The weather here in the Shenandoah Vally has been beautiful!.

The addition of markings has really brought out the BoB theme. Because I have only one sheet of BoB movie markings I am hand painting one set of the squadron emblems on white decal sheet and am still deciding on what numbers to put on. Does anyone have a favorite in the movie? (See what I go through for 'our' builds my project instigator friend? :analintruder: ) In addition to the meager efforts below a number of the fiddly bits like canopys and exhaust have been finished. Anyway for anyone who is still interested in the project here are the latest progress pics.

DSCN3558.jpg

DSCN3560.jpg

DSCN3565.jpg

I get to pick the one I'm gonna keep SW! :bye:

DSCN3564.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all who are still interested in this drawn-out thread! Been very busy with work and kids so hobby time has suffered. This should be the last update before completion. I have gotten the last of the markings on, the Hobbycraft decals giving me a bit of a tough time. I coated the decal sheet with Microscale Liquid Decal Film as they seemed a bit brittle. That did prevent the dreaded splintering but did nothing to help the adhesion! After blotting a number of edges curled up and stubbornly resisted laying flat. :hmmm: A GENTLE application of Microsol, just enough to dampen the decal at first, :pray: softened the edges enough to lay down. As I had only one set of BoB movie markings, one set of 'Rotte Jadgeschwader' emblems were painted onto white decal sheet. After a coating of Liquid Decal Film they went on without difficulties.

Seat belts and hardware were made of foil from the tops of wine bottles. The highly visible shoulder harness attachments were cut from an old photo etch set I found in my bits and pieces box. The kit exhaust were cleaned up and drilled out. Boy, it does become tedious when there are four sets to do! Although not in the photographs, the canopies are painted and the armor plate installed. Movie canon were fabricated from brass rod as a base. A short length of aluminum tube was chucked into a dremel and shaped with a file to the conical muzzle section. Be sure to use a short length of tube so it won't flex or whip around! A thin section of tubing was used for the collar like section just aft of the muzzle. I hope to get the last of the fiddly bits and pieces done this week end. (Yeah right! :fraidnot: )

The pictures are not the the best, I admit to being in a hurry and it shows! :doh: As always comments and critiques are welcomed! (better now when I can attempt to correct issues!)

DSCN3599.jpg

DSCN3600.jpg

DSCN3604.jpg

DSCN3608.jpg

DSCN3611.jpg

DSCN3615.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler