Messerschmitt Bf.110 C-2/C-4

Mike

Messerschmitt Bf.110 C-2/C-4

1:72 Airfix

boxtop.jpg

The Bf 110 was designed to be a long-range heavy fighter, which saw action in the Nazi war machine's early exploits into Poland and France, but suffered later at the hands of the RAF due to its comparatively low speed and manoeuvrability. It was however used elsewhere successfully, not least of which being as a night fighter, where the two seat arrangement served it very well.

This is a new tool from Airfix, and arrives in their usual red box. Inside the box are three sprues of grey plastic, a smaller sprue of clear plastic, decals, and instruction booklet, which includes the painting guide.

The tooling of the kit is typical of Airfix's new style, with engraved panel lines which may seem too deep to some, but should appear reduced under a coat or two of paint. Two rather stocky pilot figures are included, and the prominent cockpit area is made up of a pleasingly large number of parts, which includes the instrument panel with associated decal and three magazines for the machine gunner behind his chair. The cockpit side walls however are a blank canvas onto which the modeller may add detail, although I would imagine the majority of this would be covered up when adding the pilots.

sprue1.jpg

The lower wing is a one-piece arrangement, into which you insert the wheel bay roofs, and at that point drill out any appropriate mounting points for the weapons. This attaches to the underside of the fuselage, with the two piece upper wing added later. Detail on the wheel bay inserts is good, and once the landing gear is installed should look the part. It's worth noting that the wheels have nicely engraved detail, and a flat spot to simulate the weight of the airframe on the wheels.

sprue2.jpg

The radiators under the wing are supplied as separate parts with radiator inserts for added detail, and the tail with its H-shaped profile is added to the fuselage later and should be easy to install level, due to the way it is made. The nosecone has an insert with all four cannon barrels attached, with the tips protruding through the holes pre-drilled in the nose cone.

sprue3.jpg

The landing gear components can be added after the main construction is completed, as can the wheel bay doors. There are a large number of parts however, so care should be exercised when both painting and constructing these sections. The two 3-bladed propellers have separate bosses and install to the cowlings using a separate pin that plugs into the back. It would be wise however to leave these off until construction and painting is completed.

Options include different air intakes on the cowlings, wing mounted drop tanks of two types (one with fin, one without) a small belly mounted tank, and a bomb pack for the underside which can support a pair of bombs of either 250 kilos, or 500 kilos.

The canopy is provided as a single part, which is a shame due to the good detail on the cockpit, but the adventurous modeller could attempt to separate parts with a razor saw, or wait until a vacform replacement canopy becomes available. The part is clear, but perhaps a little on the thick side.

clear.jpg

Decals are crisp and in good register, and colour is nicely restrained with the reds and yellows having a scale colour that is pleasing to my eye. A large number of stencils are also included on the sheet, which should assist in adding realism and busying up the model when painted.  From the sheet you can portray the following aircraft.

• Bf 110 C-2 6 staffel I/zerstorergeschwader 76, northern France, 1940
  • Bf 110 C-4/B II/schnellkampfgeschwader 210, operation Barbarossa, Eastern front 1941

decals.jpg

Conclusion

A nicely tooled kit of this ever popular subject, which will hopefully lead to a series of kits of the various marks produced. The decals sheet is colourful, although both schemes have been seen before, but that is probably due to their popularity. The model can be built straightforwardly from the box so should prove no issue to modellers of any skill level.

Another welcome release from Airfix, who seem to be going from strength to strength.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

Where are Airfix producing their kits, is it in China or are some made in the UK, as it would be nice to see some manufacturing brought back to the UK, for one thing better quality control and secondly and most important in my mind to create more jobs which this country needs

Where are Airfix producing their kits, is it in China or are some made in the UK, as it would be nice to see some manufacturing brought back to the UK, for one thing better quality control and secondly and most important in my mind to create more jobs which this country needs

The 110 says made in China on the box side. Some of the kits are produced in India these days. Some were made in the Uk in the initial days after Hornby bought the company, but I don't know if they are making any in the Uk now

..agreed ..but an in-box doesn't reveal anything of the horrors of those decals ...I defy anyone to get those sharksmouth decals on. In fact I need another set to cover up the tears and creases in my first application. Even my usual white glue/Klear mix didn't work.. anyone got some spares they won't be using ?

Edited by FalkeEins