Revell 1/48 Eurofighter

gfurm

Hello and welcome.

After a long time of not doing any models I got one kit from my wife as birthday present and got hooked again. This is my 4th model since then. I started this in the mimddle of december, so far most of the big bits are assembled. It's upgraded with Eduard PE set, so plenty of detail in it. Starting from cockpit:

seat

_IGP7470.jpg

_IGP7473.jpg

cockpit assembled

_IGP7535.jpg

_IGP7536.jpg

_IGP7537.jpg

_IGP7538.jpg

The seat is too big and the joystick column too wide, had to shave quite a lot from both of them to fit them in there.

fuselage closed

_IGP7549.jpg

_IGP7550.jpg

_IGP7551.jpg

I glued the gear bay wrong way around and sanded it before realising, after corecting the mistake I had to use a lot of filler to build what I sandded down :)

_IGP7553.jpg

Air intake is a complete disaster, gaps so wide it needs half a tub of filler to get rid of them. Anyone knows where to get Two Mikes intake coves in UK? Everyone seems to be out of stock.

_IGP7554.jpg

_IGP7555.jpg

_IGP7559.jpg

_IGP7561.jpg

I already have the whole intake in place and it doesn't look nice, don't have photos yet.

The spine is also a bit bigger than it should be where it joins tail fin, had to be sanded down and some filler used around it.

_IGP7565.jpg

All comments and suggestions welcomed.

Greg

Edited by gfurm

Good start to a nice kit, I think Models for sale has the FOD guards for those

Terrible intakes.

Regards

Dan

or heritage has complete replacement, sadly nearly the same price as the kit though.

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/t...takes-235-p.asp

look very nice though I have three (no four to build) so I'll decided when I get round to building one.

Dave

I've just bought the twin seater as I was never a fan of the single seat. I hope they've addressed on the second time round?.

All assembled and preshaded. Also most of the weapons are done apart from painting, pylons glued and painted. Gear not touched at all, quite a lot of PE going on them so I'll start when painting is done.

I just hope some of that preshading will be visible, I've never done that before.

I want to paint it in UK colors, so it should be Barley grey. trouble is I can't get Humbrol acrylic paint locally and buying online seems like overkill, I mean 1.50 for paint and 1.50 shipping :). So I'm trying mixing Revell paints. It says grey 374 with darker grey in 9:1 but it seems a bit too dark to me. Have to wait and see how it comes out.

By the way, how do you attach canopy to fuselage before painting if you want it open later? I did it with blue tack but it left me with small gap and paint seemed to went there.

Greg

_IGP7566.jpg

_IGP7567.jpg

Did some painting and I think I overdone it, all my preshading dissapeared. BTW: how far is it from Barley Grey? Mixing Revell oaints to get correct color is not my kind of fun.

Next step is masking and paintig some white under airbrake, steel just before exhaust nozzles and some grey (which one for RAF?) on leading edges and radome.

Greg

_IGP7571.jpg

_IGP7572.jpg

Airbrake with Eduard PE parts, needs second coat of wite.

_IGP7569.jpg

weapons, Revell uses bluegrey for Storm Shadow, not sure if it's correct

_IGP7568.jpg

It seems I can't do one of these without some major stupidity from me. I was decaling pylons today and after checking and then checking again if I use correct decal for them I managed to cock it up. The big ones on the bottom of that photo, the decals you see on both of them should be on one. The side down has decals facing wrong way around :banghead: , the top ones the same. And couple of decals seems to be too big.

Anyway, today I spent few hours decaling them, masking airframe for leading edge painting (painted them as well). I'll try to get the fuel tank and stormshadows glos coated today, maybe paint AA rockets.

Greg

Pylons

_IGP7573.jpg

and here's a comparison between Revell part and some PE additions from Eduard for the same part. Gear bays door.

_IGP7574.jpg

Edited by gfurm

Damn and blast. I masked the top and bottom with paper and stuck it with tamiya tape going around the paper edges. Somehow I missed part of it and some white went under it onto fuselage. But the biggest problem is I mixed the paint for fuselage and I used it all so I don't have exact shade to paint over that white :angrysoapbox.sml: . Have to try mixing it again and matching it. Apart from this it looks OK. I'll post some photos tomorrow after trying to sort it out.

Greg

So I managed to mix some more paint with same shade and painted over that white overspray. I also drilled hole for APU exhaust and I'm gonna fit a bit of sprue with drilled hole in there. In daylight the overall grey looks much lighter than I thought. Next step is putting exhaust and radome on and clear coat before decals.

_IGP7576.jpg

View of the intake :). I'll definatelly get TwoMikes covers for them.

_IGP7578.jpg

Decaled one of the Storm Shadows. decals on the small fins look a bit too large though.

Looking through decal sheet it looks like this plane has more health and safety stickers than a whole squadron of Spitfires had proper markings. 15 decals on one rocket!

_IGP7581.jpg

_IGP7582.jpg

All comments and suggestions welcomed

Greg

After about 3 hours of decaling I almost finished one side of the fuselage. I had enough already, but I'm bravely pushing on.

_IGP7584.jpg

_IGP7585.jpg

My homemade APU exhaust. It's thickest sprue cut to around 1cm lenght then drilled inside and filed to conform to the fuselage shape. Then I had to dry fit it there and cut slowly to correct lenght. When ready it looks like this.

_IGP7586.jpg

It's not like resin replacement but much better than Revell offering

Greg

Keep up the good work Greg - you might need to trim the locating lugs on the Two Mikes intake blanks to avoid spreading the seams on the intake, but test fit them & see :)

Did some painting and I think I overdone it, all my preshading dissapeared. BTW: how far is it from Barley Grey? Mixing Revell oaints to get correct color is not my kind of fun.

It looks a little dark to me, but that might be the light in the photos. I usually ignore Revell's paint callouts as they are invariably wrong...

Great work so far, I'm looking forward to the finished article.

It depends on the light. In full sun it's OK but anywhere else it's too dark. I'm just so fed up with this I didn't have any will to repaint it again. Still have undercarriage and weapons to do.

Back to WWII planes after this. Somehow they are much more enjoyable for me. I have Rafale in my cupboard but after this experience I don't know when I'll get around to opening the box.

Greg

Greg,

Depending on which Rafale you have, it's actually a pleasure to build. I'm currently building the Tiger Meet two-seater; my first kit in 15 years. The only issue I have with the kit is the lack of internal intakes; other than that no problems. It's been an enjoyable build.

I was so impressed with the Rafale kit that I went out and purchased the Revell Eurofighter without researching the kit, and what a mistake that was! I am very disppointed with the kit. This kit is at the opposite end of quality compared to the Rafale or the F-15E (a real gem!).

Give the Rafale a try you'll be quite surprised.

Mike

On final straight now. All decals are on, clear coated to seal them. I'll do panel lines tomorrow and satin coat it. All small bits glued together and painted, will add them just before satin coat, so should be ready tomorrow. And for now I gave up on weapons, only have storm shadows done. All the rest needs painting and decaling. I may do them later, while my next plane is drying or something. No photos today as I just finished an hour ago so no good light for it.

Greg

I see you use ''aqua color mix''. any good? I personally mix mine with ''aqua color clean'' or Klear. Is there a considerable difference between aqua mix and aqua clean?

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)