Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Razorback

Well I finished spraying the thing this evening and removed the rest of the masking, knowing that I had to do a bit of touching up. However image my suprise when peeling the tape and masking fluid off this happened;

Picture001.jpg

and this;

Picture002.jpg

So this is what happened next;

Picture004.jpg

Short test flight and hard landing. I am so p*ss*d off at the moment. The only thing I can put it down to is the primer undercoat as the Tamiya paint has just not adhered to it at all. The primer was rubbed down then rinsed to get any dust and grease off. Needless to say the can of primer is in the bin along with a P-47. To be honest it has been 'one of those models' that just does'nt go right from start to finish. Ho-hum.......

Not happy!

Ow! That's a burmer Andy. I made the Monogram 1/48 A-37 15 years ago (15 years ago? sheesh!) and after doing what I thought was a pretty neat paint job on it, gave it a coat of Halfords Clear lcquer and... it rippled and blistered the paint!

Managed to strip it down and start again, but... I feel your pain!

The primer I must admit was experimental as it was from a £1 shop so I suppose I rather shot myself in the foot there. The tape I've used on other projects with no really adverse affects. However when Winsor and Newton masking fluid pulls paint off then you KNOW you are onto a loser..... :suicide:

S'pose I'll have to get another one as I seem to have a few spare parts and an Eagle Strike decal sheet.......

Ok.

Cheap primer may have done it then.

I have never primed my models. I just spray the colour on the plastic. Not sure if I should prime or not?

I use enamel paints by the way. Tamiya masking tape seems nice stuff and hasn't removed any paint yet.

Craig.

Andy,

Bit of a shi****, still you did the right thing move on, however I would argue the primer did its job however the top coat appears to dry in the air thus has not etched itself to the primer, further more re the tape I always run the tape along my arm to reduce the tackyness.

Next project, you now have moved into an exclusive club :analintruder:

Cheers guys! Yep I've moved on to another project, this time Mr. Hammer is waiting should anything go t*ts up. :D I might salvage some wing parts out of the bin, strip the paint off and respray to see what went wrong. I think you might have a point Les about the paint drying before it hits the surface. (It was Tamiya acrylic).

Next time I might just cut out the middle man and give the kit to the wife. She'd love to smash them up for some reason...... :D

Andy don't you dare Bin it. Its reparable mate. Please 'ave a go at it, you may be yet proud you built it, you've gone this far it's only paint and can be redone, think of the hard earned cash you put out to buy it. Seeing your previous works make this another masterpiece.

:clif:

Yeah... in the bin..... dont go back to it... move on... all the bad things will come back to haunt you then you will just bin it again....

Welcome to the smash a model sig... Me & Les are old hands at this .. Les prefers the socket wrench and i like to the River Dance on kits which dont fall into line... The Classic Airframes Vampire ended up in the pond and now will be lost forever after we had the garden landscaped.

Enjoy, There will be many more to come.... :wicked:

Cheers,

Neil

LMFAO!!! Apparently some guy on Hyperscale reckons I need to go on an anger management course...ANGER MANAGEMENT COURSE!!!!! I'LL GIVE HIM F*****G ANGER MANAGEMENT THE **&%£$@!****$£"()++++$%£................

Ok better now! That was a short course! :D

Ouch!...but I think we've all been there at some point haven't we?...all that time and effort, you think it's going to look the bees knees but instead it ends up looking like the back end of a badger!...good hammer work though, did you use the over-arm technique or was it a wrist flick application?...:)

Sorry to hear about your disaster with the P-47. Mine has come to an end as well, my own fault really i was letting it dry and i left my hobby room door open, well my Cat walked pass with a silver nose and coat. I was curious, went into the hobby room P-47 on the Floor, was'nt a pretty picture. Well now i know why the Cat looked happy :wall:

Ouch!...but I think we've all been there at some point haven't we?...all that time and effort, you think it's going to look the bees knees but instead it ends up looking like the back end of a badger!...good hammer work though, did you use the over-arm technique or was it a wrist flick application?...:)

I think it was a wrist flick application :D Next time I'll be a bit more creative and use a 4 iron or pitching wedge. :D

Anyway the wings are on the way to a guy in Croatia who wants to make a P-47N from an M...or was it an M from an N.......The cockpit survived as well as the engine so they will be going into another P-47...one day.....anybody got one going cheap? :D

Hi Andy that's some flak damage there mate :winkgrin: , but seriously mate that was a modellers nightmare, it could happen to any of us we try new things be it on the cheap side or something no one would have thought of using, I would never of thought of using klear for models, now if that cheap primer had work we would of gone out and got some, and why not for the prises we pay for the models we enjoy to build, we need all the help we can get, so from me thanks for trying that cheap primer mate it could have worked, :sorry: about the P47