This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mitch K

Gold Member
  • Content count

    2,222
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Mitch K last won the day on June 2 2015

Mitch K had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

2,541 Excellent

About Mitch K

  • Rank
    Researcher, mass spectrometrist, fencer, modelmaker, fisherman..
  • Birthday 25/05/66

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://mitchwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    United Kingdom
  • Interests
    Wargaming, modelmaking, fencing, flyfishing

Recent Profile Visitors

1,190 profile views
  1. I know the Heller Hawk is a fairly ropey kit, but you have done absolute wonders with it. I see what you mean about the weathering, and it could be argued there's too much of it, but I would say that HOW you have done the weathering is superb. Regarding airbrushing, I haven't ever had a problem using Tamiya acrylics, but you do have to mix everything yourself... Smashing job and thanks for sharing. Is there a WIP thread for this?
  2. Here she is with the undercarriage on. I've added brake pipes, and undercarriage doors (visible in photos, but missing on the plans...). The fixed tailwheel is out of the kit, with a leg made from a dressmaking pin. I put a very light wash on he, not enough to make the aircraft look tatty, but perhaps enough to represent an aircraft returning from a sortie. The exhausts need some more work, and once the masks are off, it's home straight. And done! The guns are 25Ga steel tube. I left the wing guns with no visible barrels: as licence-built Brownings the barrels wouldn't have been long enough to stick out. The radio aerial is speculative, of course, but connects into a convenient panel on the fuselage. The canopy is clearer than it started out, but it's far from perfect, I think, in both clarity and fit. The Akkura kit has limitations, but I've really enjoyed doing this. I'll put some pics in RFI in the next couple of days.
  3. What you've let slip about how you do the gun barrels and attaching the wings is really useful stuff that I hope to gain the benefits of in the future! Thanks very much.
  4. Superb - your work on the cockpit is excellent!
  5. My build is on here, so you can see what I did, if that might help.
  6. I scratched up the cockpit on my D520 too - didn't do me any harm
  7. Rather handsome, that!
  8. Stunning!
  9. If it's denaturated alcohol, then in the UK the best place to get it is DIY stores/builders' merchants ,where it's sold as methylated spirits. This is usually about 90% ethanol. The rest is water, methanol, butanone and a variety of minerals, dyestuffs and quite often a bittering agent to make it undrinkable. Depending on what the exact mix is, meths from different sources/suppliers can behave quite differently in the same application, which is why I'm wary of using it as a thinner for anything!
  10. Inkscape is OK, but learning is heavy. Look around for vector images (some on Wikipedia) as the starting point. I've done this a fair bit over the years - it does work, and I've found it worth doing, so good luck and have fun!
  11. A super set of builds!
  12. Following priming and the last fettling of any lumps and divots that aren't supposed to be there, it was on with some paint. This scheme is, obviously, totally speculative. It is intended to represent what a batch of early-production fighters, put into service as part of a field evaluation with a single active squadron might have looked like. It's based on the well-known series of pictures of a PZL P.11C carrying an experimental two-colour upper surface camouflage. One colour in those photos seems to closely match the tone of the uniforms of the bystanders, so by inference could be the usual khaki. The other is lighter and highly contrasting. There are records of a light-ish green being used on Lublin R-XIII, purporting to be similar to FS 34151. I had some mixed up for a different project, so used this, with a sharp-edged division as shown in the pictures of the PZL P.11C. The underside is the light blue, as per usual practice. I've wrapped the fuselage camouflage, but left the area under wings blue. Decals are a mix of the Akkura kit and leftovers from various Mistercraft P.7 and P.11 builds, and show an aircraft of 112 Esk. who had the task of carrying out the operational evaluation. I will find some underwing codes from somewhere, or print my own. I've gone with smaller underwing cockades that were usually seen on P.11, a move toward a lower visibility effect. The undercarriage needs painting and fitting, but it's (largely) built now, and I'll add nose guns, gunsight and some aerials right at the end, but she's well on the way.
  13. Beautiful build, and as always, very interesting!
  14. Some (a little!) "creative gizmology" in the wheel wells, made from ultrafine wires, twisted up. Canopy glazing faired in with Milliput. Sadly, there's a little bit of infiltration of the filler into the cockpit, but it's better than it was. The less said about the kit main undercarriage the better. In one of the photos in Hubert's link above, there is a reasonably good photo of the main landing gear, and it looks nothing like the plan I've been working from, so it's a good job I checked! This is all cobbled up from various diameters of steel tube, drink can metal and heatshrink(for the "collars"). The oleos are connected to the stirrups with short pieces of steel pin, suitable ground to size/shape. It's been test-fitted for the wheels, and it does work - at the moment. The axles will be more steel pins and I'll add some scissor assemblies and brake lines from stretched sprue/wire when I'm more certain all the heavy work is done.