Klear

steve4428

Went for £18.89 plus £4 p and p. Someone was desperate for a bottle!
A fool and their money are soon parted

Not sure about that - Particularly if you think old Klear is the Mutts nuts..... (ps i didnt buy it..)

£23 delivered for 750ml for old Klear - where as Alclad Clear Kote (cheapest clear coat - others are miles more expensive per ml) is £7.50 for 120ml..

You do the math

Just my :2c:

Tuco :winkgrin:

Not sure about that - Particularly if you think old Klear is the Mutts nuts..... (ps i didnt buy it..)

£23 delivered for 750ml for old Klear - where as Alclad Clear Kote (cheapest clear coat - others are miles more expensive per ml) is £7.50 for 120ml..

You do the math

Just my :2c:

Tuco :winkgrin:

Yes your right, I thought about that after I'd posted. I suppose its just that Klear was just £2.50 a bottle that makes it seem a bit steep

Just to say, the above product is NOT the same as the original klear.

There's a clue in the name 'Wax'

Paul

So does that mean this product here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pledge-Klear-Mul...=item415dd191f7

Would be no good for cleaning something like this then?

DSCN2480.jpg

Ill probably be getting some sort of canopy cleaner thingy soon to make sure I dont miss out on aquiring some, so just wondered if I could get this instead of the more expensive Quickshine stuff?

Edited by Hypnobear

• 11 months later...

By the time I was put on to it, the original Klear had been discontinued. I have been using the Multi-Surface Wax on my last couple of builds, but things have not been going smoothly. I've been spraying it on with my Badger 200 and find that it beads quite badly. If I don't wipe these beads off in a hurry, they solidify with noticeable yellowing, and are the very devil to get off, even with quite highly concentrated ammonia solution. I'm using a medium needle - is it that the needle is inadequate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

But as Slacky says, the Pledge Multi-Surface Wax works just as well. Swanny gives an authoritive view at http://www.swannysmo...leteFuture.html

Errr? Swanny? sorry.............

and i quote:-

Trevor Stutely did some extensive testing of the product and these are his comments:

"In my tests, applying the product neat onto 24 hr dry dark matte paint via a Paasche airbrush, I found that:

(1) One medium coat of PMSW will gloss, then later fade to semi-gloss when dry leaving a a slighlly dimpled finish. Use of masking tape on this surface will later pull the paint when tape is removed.

(2) Two medium coats allow for a smooth, gloss finish and paint will not peel when removing masking tape.

(3) On applying decals to the double coat finish, using the Micro Sol/Set system, movement for placing is adequate, yet the decals will not conform properly to contours nor sit correctly in/on etched or raised panel lines. Any indentation or bump on the surface of the model will see a crease radiate out from the center of the decal and curl the edge. Further, any decals with a large amount of transparent film (modex, squadron and aircraft numbers etc) will show a silvering even greater than might be expected from even the worst decals. I used both kit decals (Hasegawa, Tamiya) and after market (Aeromaster) and the results were identical."

The dimpling is because of the wax content, remember this product is intended for use on floor surfaces, e.g. wood, lino, tile.......

PLUS, by it's nature it WILL fill yer panel lines!!!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

SC Johnsons Pledge multi surface wax is, pretty much, the old Klear, at least here in the UK.

It is a milky colour due to the change in formula but it performs almost exactly the same.

It seems that there are unscrupulous people who would like to make a load money out of modellers on ebay with the old formula.

There is a great you tube video about this subject. This guy gives his balanced views.

Please spread the word and prevent fellows from getting robbed blind by ebayers.

Edited by Loki

Just to say, the above product is NOT the same as the original klear.

There's a clue in the name 'Wax'

Paul

Oh and by the way Paul, I just looked at my remaining bottle of the original Klear. On the top of the label it says, "Johnsons Wax" so I don't get your point if they're both waxes........? The new formula might have more wax content but since I am not chemist I couldn't say.

Edited by Loki