Wingnut Wings kits

stalal

I m planning to buy Wingnut Wings Ninak and i m dreading it.

I have never built a WWI model and the only one i built was Airfix 1/72 Avro 504k and it was a disaster. I had problems in aligning the wings and also attaching the spindly struts in between them. Now the rigging scares me even more. But i still want to take a plunge.

Any idea of how the Wingnut Wings kits are and do you share the same fears as i have and what would you do to allay those fears?

Many Thanks

Thats a brave move starting off with the Ninak. Why not buy a Sopwith Pup as well and do that first? It will be a much easier build and should calm the nerves somewhat befoe attempting the Ninak.

I have bought four so far but not yet made a start on any. When I do it will be on the Pfalz III due to its simpler rigging. If all goes well I will then attempt the Bristol Fighter or Re.8.

Good luck.

Andrew

they are amazing kits for sure and no comparison to old airfix biplanes, but id agree with AndrewE that it may be best to build a simpler, smaller one first, maybe the Pup or Albatross D.V just to get some experience with biplanes and rigging.

the Ninak is a beauty, but I'd echo Gishuk - buy a Pup and have a go at that first, it's the easiest and least complicated of the WNW kits so far released and an absolute joy to build. For the rigging, I think that you could be put off by all the turnbuckle additions etc. To get a good result on your first go just use EZ line - as most of the models on Wingnuts own website do - you'll get great results without problems and it will encourage you to tackle the more complex kits like the Ninak without fear.

Go for it, you won't regret it, I'm sure!

I'm selling a Hansa-Brandenburg on the Bay at the moment, that's the floatplane monoplane.

shameless plug, well done.

I've built 3 of the things already with the SE5a being my first WNW kit and first bipe, I would say with hindsight double flying wires are not best suited to first timers and the Ninack is a step up from that. Saying that its next to do after the Roland I've just started.

I would certainly go with something easier and the Pup aside from thinning the cockpit floor really goes together very well.

The only WW1 aircraft kits I've ever built in the past were the 1/72 Airfix type and they gave me the horrors, especially the rigging but when I started to see the 1/32 stuff I said to myself I've got to get one and give it a try, so I ended up with the Pup and I'm glad I did, cracking kit and well worth the money. I've since got the Roden DH-2 but thats for when I get better at biplanes. :D

Steve

the Ninak is a beauty, but I'd echo Gishuk - buy a Pup and have a go at that first, it's the easiest and least complicated of the WNW kits so far released and an absolute joy to build. For the rigging, I think that you could be put off by all the turnbuckle additions etc. To get a good result on your first go just use EZ line - as most of the models on Wingnuts own website do - you'll get great results without problems and it will encourage you to tackle the more complex kits like the Ninak without fear.

Go for it, you won't regret it, I'm sure!

'To get a good result on your first go just use EZ line'. What is that?!! :)

I do have good experience of building WWII armor, airplanes and modern stuff so the Ninak kit itself should not be a problem. But it is the rigging that scares me, be it Pup or Ninak or any other kit. I will take your advice and start with the easier one.

The WNW kits are fantastic to build, precision engineering in plastic, however as Rowan and the others have said go for the Sopwith Pup, a nice easy build, the Albatros DV and DVa are excellent models, but they have 8 bulkheads in the fusilage that have to be aligned perfectly, if they are not then your fusilage halves won't fit together.

As regards the rigging, don't panic, if you take it slowly you will get it done, it seems an absolute nightmare at first but as you progress it does tend to get a bit easier, not a lot, I use monofilament fishing line and Bobs Buckles, Bob is a forum member and he is very, very helpful, he also supplies the Buckles.

I've included a linky to beeza1's homepage, Des is a member of the forum as well and he has some marvelous builds on his site including the WNW Pup.

Des's Homepge

Good luck with the build, also don't forget that any of the guys on the forum will be only to happy to help you if they can.

HTH

Pete

EZ line I believe is similar to fishing line but stretchy. I've bought something I believe to be similar called knit in elastic, the problem I had with that is that I can't thread it through the brass sleeves and turnbuckles I use for the rigging so I went back to 2lb fishing line.

one of the guys at my local model club brought 5 or 6 of the WNW kits down for us to have a look at, and they look superb. The tooling is clearly done by the same tooling company that do Tamiya and Hasegawa kits in korea (the way the runners are done and the sprues/feed gates is identical to tamigawa). the kits have a real feel of quality, nice glossy instruction book with loads of reference photos and superb decals.

the clincher is that i have never had any interest at all in WW1 aircraft, and I don't build 1/32, but i really really want to have a go at one of these!

one of the guys at my local model club brought 5 or 6 of the WNW kits down for us to have a look at, and they look superb. The tooling is clearly done by the same tooling company that do Tamiya and Hasegawa kits in korea (the way the runners are done and the sprues/feed gates is identical to tamigawa). the kits have a real feel of quality, nice glossy instruction book with loads of reference photos and superb decals.

the clincher is that i have never had any interest at all in WW1 aircraft, and I don't build 1/32, but i really really want to have a go at one of these!

'Av a go, you won't regret it, they are superb kits, but like we've said already, go for the Sopwith Pup, a nice easy build, oodles of detail, but it all goes together nicely.

i think what the guys re trying to say is the ninak is the most complicated rigging of all the wnw kits, so you should avoid that as your first foray, it could turn you off to the rigging process and maybe even cause you to go mad. the pup is a decent suggestion but it still has the standard brit double wires, one set even passes thru the lower wing. my suggestion is the pfalz. it has simpler rigging than any of the others mentioned and due to the strut configureation it would be easy to mount the top wing. the struts are made like a "u" shape on each one. the cabanes are an in verted "u" and the interplanes are more like a "v" but it makes for an easy build and simple rigging. this is just my opinion but it is an educated one as i have built just about any biplane you can name. for rigging i would use monofilament 2lb or 41b test and drill partially thru the top wing and all the way thru the bottom. you can then ca glue the line in the top hole then thread thru the bottom. just before you pull it taught add a drop of ca and then pull the blob thru the lower hole. you can tention it with hemostats. if you are extremely ambitious and really want to do the ninak be prepared for a bit of headaches. it has 2 sets of interplane struts and double wires all over the place. hence the nickname string bag. germans as a rule had simpler rigging. and more color variation than brit great war subjects i think yo would do well to try a pfalz diiia, but a roland dvi or albatros wouldnt be bad. next in line i would say pup the actual build may be a bit simpler than the german stuff but it still has those damn double wires. cheers and good luck with whatever you choose to do......scott

• 2 weeks later...

Wait until Wingnut Wings releases their Fokker DVII. Steel struts no wires! I've struggled with the rigging issue and I am almost happy with my technique but it would be fun not having to bother.

Some good advice on your first WNW's kit.Have a look at this that was built by a friend,have seen this in the flesh and its stunning,he may even display it at the Hinckley show.Whats so bloody annoying is that he makes it look so simple!'Arry Tate'And you thought the Ninak had complicated rigging,Lol!

Dave

I also echo the comments of the others and would recommend the Pup. in fact I have just had the review of the one I built in MAi and one of my comments is that this would be a good place to start your WW1 collection..

John

Edited by tigger

Further to the rigging debate, if you are going for the fishing line method, I would recomend that you use something like Maxima Chameleon 1.5lb or 2lb breaking strain line, it is coloured brown and easier to see, as these lines are only about 0.1mm thick, if you use a clear line they are almost impossible to see and really need painting before you thread them. HTH

Cheers

Pete

I've included a linky to beeza1's homepage, Des is a member of the forum as well and he has some marvelous builds on his site including the WNW Pup.

Des's Homepge

Pete that site is a bloody goldmine of useful info and techniques! Fantastic link - bookmarked!

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...