Crazy Water Buffalo

rowmk9

Hot on the heels of my Lancaster build (shameless plug) I'm going to launch into this group build if I may and get a kit built that has been sitting in my stash for years.

Here's the kit, Tamiya's 1/48th A-1H Skyraider which many people will be familiar with. I'll take pictures of the sprues soon. :P

p1060583l.jpg

and here's the twist - I'm planning on painting her up in VNAF markings. The bottom aircraft on this pic, to be precise

p1060588.jpg

The other option is very cool too, but alas, it is an A-1J.

I'm going to have to study the differences between USN and VNAF Spads, as there may be some subtle differences that I may have to take into account. Any SPAD-sperts out there who can help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by rowmk9

Hi,

great to see another spad being built those decals look superb which ship you going to do?

only thing to be careful with is cutting the glazed parts of the sprues use a fine razor saw rather then a blade / sprue cutters Ichipped the wind screen on mine using a brand new blade :deadhorse: may pay you to have a look at www.skyraider .com.

Andy :frantic:

Edited by smuts

Cheers for the advice Andy, I see how the canopy may be a problem after taking alook at the sprues so I'll be careful when it comes to that bit (famous last words...). I'm gonna go for the bottom option of the two as it is an A-1H like the kit. The other is an A-1J.

I've changed the name of the thread to the Vietnamese nickname for the Skyraider, seeing as this aircraft is going to be from the VNAF it seems fitting to give it this name. It's a pretty cool nickname :P

Here's some boring sprue pics of the kit which I have just started making my first progress on, undercoating and spraying the cockpit - pics will follow!

p1060667.jpg

p1060666.jpg

p1060668r.jpg

Made a proper start on the kit last night, the cockpit is coming together.

p1060696.jpg

I'll have to make up some seatbelts for the seat as I have no after market ones for this kit. I'm also keeping the bucket seat instead of upgrading to the later A-1J standard one. I'm reasoning that this was an early trade to the VNAF and as such it was not fitted with any of the later upgrades.

A fair amount of progress so far, seeing as I didn't get round to updating the build yesterday.

So, whats happened? Well I've made up a seatbelt that will pass my 1ft challenge (does it look good from 1ft?) and thats on the seat

p1060698f.jpg

And then the cockpit was completed and i started making up the fuselage, wings and engine. It all happened so quickly that I forgot to take pictures! but here it is with some panels masked off in prep for preshading them

p1060706j.jpg

Remove masking tape and mock up the plane with engine in situ - BIG! - is the watchword. Also, I've put the flaps in the up position. It was tempting to drop them, but the archive photo's I've seen of VNAF Skyraiders show them up pretty much all the time.

p1060712z.jpg

I'm gonna go for traditional preshading around the panel lines too. to try and give the paintwork a 'lived in' feel.

p1060714.jpg

And the latest addition is the aerial on the spine of the fuselage, that was not included in the kit but does appear to be on the VNAF Skyraider I'm building. No idea what it's for to be honest, but its there! Here's a picture of the real thing (and the aircraft in the background is the one I'm actually modelling - 34484) and the aerial is clearly visible.

VNAF_A1H75.jpg

So here's my attempt at scratchbuilding my own version, out of spare plastic bits in the bits mixed with filler

p1060720.jpg

After taking this picture, I decided it was too 'pointy' and have taken a tiny bit off the top :P

Cheers guys!

Some more progress, the main colours are on, but I'm not 100% on them. I think the white is too white and the light gull grey is too dark, creating too much of a contrast. Maybe I can try bringing the two tones closer together with weathering? What do the BM faithful think?

p1060728w.jpg

p1060727.jpg

Thanks Moofles.

However, after closer inspection of the source photographs of VNAF skyraiders (and the photo of the actual aircraft) I believe that the rudder was painted light gull grey too, and not white. Also I believe the cowling mid-section was white up to the black anti-glare panel so it'll be back to the spraybooth for those two items to be fixed.

:banghead:

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I've repainted the rudder light gull grey and the black anti-glare panel has been done as well. I think next up is the bare metal leading edge on the wings and cowling (not fun!)

p1060825l.jpg

I'm planning on getting some aftermarket napalm tanks for my Spad and currently looking at true details BLU-10 500 napalm tanks. They look about right from the pictures I've seen of VNAF skyraiders equipped with napalm but I'm not sure. If anyone thinks they are wrong please speak up!

Here's a link to them on hannants website: BLU-10 500 napalm tanks (1/48)

They do sell 250 tanks as well. but I thought bigger would be better. Any thoughts then feel free to chip in :P

Some fiddly painting today.

The leading edges of the skyraider are bare metal which is a bit of a pain to mask and paint, but I've done it.

p1060829h.jpg

Don't worry, I wasn't going to do the whole front of the cowling silver, I just masked off to a panel line. It was way to difficult to mask off the leading edge of the curved cowling because I was trying to get the tape down on the inside of a sloping curve - very very difficult! So I decided to do it in reverse, spraying the section of cowling silver and then masking off the silver afterward with some new, (and crucially) flat white-tac straight from the pack. By pressing the model into the white-tac evenly, I got a pretty good line that was level on all sides. Of course this meant I had to redo the white, grey and black on the nose which was extra work that could've been avoided with better planning. All in all it was a right pain, but I am relatively happy with my efforts.

p1060834o.jpg

Tonights update!

The majority of the decals are in place now, with a bit of touch up to do on the tail band join but other than that it was pretty straightforward. Also the main wheels have been given their base coats and been stuck in place.

p1060855h.jpg

I must say seeing two American-style stars 'n' bars on the upper and lower wing surfaces takes a bit of getting used to. That said it's nice to see some colour on the airframe. :)

Promodeller (or is that Flory wash now :)) dark dirt wash has been used to pick out the panel lines and on a kit like this it works particularly well. I've also attempted to weather the markings a bit by sanding lightly the decal, I tried to get the red outline of the insignia to look worn and beaten up, as I've seen on the source pictures. Not a total success, but not a total failure either.

p1060867w.jpg

p1060865i.jpg

I think I'll have a go later drybrushing some lighter red and blue paint to try and make them look a bit washed out.

Edited by rowmk9

I've been working on the Napalm today. Sorry for the poor quality pic, but here's what I've done. I have made the fuses up with the nosecone of 1/72 sidewinder missiles for the larger size tanks and 1/72 chair legs for the smaller size. Then some thin wire connected them to the main main resin body. I think its better than leaving them off!

p1060874f.jpg

I'll take a better pic of it once its painted :) honest.