Dragon's 1:72 Do 335 'Arrow'

Eve all,

Just a small project, I fancied something simple and quick-ish after my last fight with PE and stuff.

This id Dragon's 335 which is very nicely detailed from stock. For those unfamiliar with this kit it comes with a small PE fret with about half a dozen bits of extra detail, mainly for the two engines and the main gear. I'll be building it with the front and aft engine compartments open as otherwise the kit detail is lost and I think its worth the effort !

I've used some bits of tape for the front engine cover detail, with bit of sprue for the intake duct, some spare PE belts for the pit, (granted there a bit big being 1:48!!). That will be about it for extra stuff, will put some brake lines in though, that seems to make a big difference to every model.

A few pics of what I've sorted so far:-

Pit

100_1358.jpg

100_1359.jpg

Aft engine

100_1362.jpg

Front motor

100_1363.jpg

Front gear bay and engine cover

100_1372.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Si.

Thanks everyone, sorry its a bit of a poor WIP but I forget to take pics when in "The Zone"!!

I've been making a little progress, the kit is not without its flaws it seems !

First up this is the Recon boxing but I'm just using the wing as it comes, after cutting out the fuse' for engine access I bottled out of chopping at the wing. The rear cowling is going to be hinged in a way that would suggest major workshop overhaul so all the stock kit detail can be seen. Similar will be done to the front.

The leading edge of the wing root is made up separately from the wing and posed a few problems that needed a bit of a sand and fill. I didn't spend much time on these as this build really is just a bit of play about with some new brushes and paints.

The wing fits reasonably well with a bit of filler but the real strange bit is in the wheel wells. Where the well meets the fuse' there is just a hole looking up into what would be the bomb bay. Needs sorting but not for this build, I'm really poor with filling major omissions !!

Appart from the above, everything else seems to fit fairly well. The PE supplied is basic but effective. Moulded detail is very good, the plastic is one of the hardest I've come accross.

Heres a few pics:-

The hole can just about be made out

100_1375.jpg

Cowls cut out

100_1374.jpg

Got some cammo on, first coat as it comes out the brush !

100_1383.jpg

The underside Hum' 65 went on so thin I could have got away with some funky pre-shading....next time !!

Thanks for looking

Si.

Ta for that!

The canopy masking was going to be my next task but I thought I'd have a go my old way of freehand.....eek !

The conopy frames are recessed on this kit so I thought it might be possible to do a reasonable-ish job without buggering about with farty bits of masking! It needs another coat then some tidying.... a lot of tidying !!

100_1425-1.jpg

All good fun

Si.

Wow, my fingers look old !!!!!

Thanks for the tip Duncan, I have put about twelve or so grams of weight where I could and it seems to balance OK.

Cheers, Si.