1/48 Me-109E

CPNGROATS

My Blitzbuild will be the venerable Monogram 109E. originally issued in 1962 and in production for at least 25 years. This example was reissued in 1971 when the B/A trend was to show a picture of a completed model on the boxtop. This was only the second 109 in 1/48 issued by a major manufacturer. The first was the Aurora 109 E. For many years these two kits were the only 1/48 109E available to modelers. Currently there are many excellent kits of this iconic a/c. So, I want to build a little modelling history strictly OOB, with the possible addition of a spares box pair of swastikas for the tail.

Here are some inital box/parts/instructions pictures:

P6130001.jpg

P6130002.jpg

P6130003.jpg

P6130013.jpg

P6130009.jpg

P6130010.jpg

P6130011.jpg

P6130012.jpg

GB Cheers,

ggc

I always liked instructions that gave you some history and context for the model...although these particular instructions are prior to PC think and are only in English....[ U.S. style ]....I do find it interesting that the model comes w/o the dreaded swastika...Monogram sometimes included it with their kits....

I hope to use the 30 year old decals on this build, but, they will need to be closely trimmed since the carrier film has yellowed. Hopefully they will not be too thick and/or brittle. The missing swastika will come from the spares box...

Cheers,

ggc

Getting started here....the parts fit togeather really well for such an old kit...

P6190018.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Thanks folks, I'm going to paint this one following [more or less] using the box art as a guide...since I'm usung a brush to paint it, the white cowling and rudder are taking multiple coats...perhaps the hair dryer will need to be employed to get the paint to cure faster.... :analintruder:

BlitzBCheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

Thanks folks, I'm going to paint this one following [more or less] using the box art as a guide...since I'm usung a brush to paint it, the white cowling and rudder are taking multiple coats...perhaps the hair dryer will need to be employed to get the paint to cure faster.... :analintruder:

BlitzBCheers,

ggc

Oldie but a goodie - and the white is supposed to have a 'dirty' finish to it so I wouldn't worry so much about getting it minty fresh!

Update #3:

Painting continues, I'm using ProModeler[Monogram] water-based paint. Application is by brush...

P6190019.jpg

P6190020.jpg

BlitzBCheers,

ggc

Update #4 Some more topside painting..........slow go...... as it takes time for the paint to cure before additional pattern masking can be applied...

P6190021.jpg

P6190022.jpg

BlitzBuildCheers,

ggc

Update #6:

Well some more details added and in process...the pilot, we will call him, Deter, has arrived and is in the process of getting detailed...a few more things to add to Deter's gear...

P6200026.jpg

P6200027.jpg

BlitzBCheers,

ggc

Update #7: A couple of shots of current state of my BlitzBuild. I'm not going to get this done by the deadline but have enjoyed the process, unfortunately I just couldn't get enough free [build] time this weekend. I do plan to complete this kit. At this moment I'm contending with 30+ year old decals...they are a tough go even with some decal softening solution. I'll rob the swastikas from another kit.

Prior to the decal application I coated the model with some coats of Future wax, applied via cotton swab...ater the decals are on I plan to seal them with another coat of Future...then some light weathering, chipping then a flat coat....some other parts to be finished and attached, prop/spinner/canopy/tail wheel/pitot tube...

Building a older kit, low tech if you will have been enormously entertaining for me...I will have to build some more of these plastic 'relics'...... :analintruder:

P6200028.jpg

P6200029.jpg

it's still not 0:00 in the U.K. :D

but it's already 1:49 on the mainland ;)

EDIT: Pennsylvania ... well ... then ... :D

Edited by Micha

Micha: I see your point it's only 8:02 pm here in PA [EST-USA]....I'll see how much can be done over the next couple of hours....but tomorrow is a work day and I do need my beauty sleep... :analintruder:

BlitzBCheers,

ggc

I'll go sleep now too.

btw ... sorry ... OT ;) ... a few years ago I received the whole Comcast Cable Network over here in Germany by a good guy from Pennsylvania who did broadcast it over the internet by using a so called Slingbox. And darn, there were hundreds of TV channels! I loved FOX ... um ... no ... not FAUX NEWS ;) ... but whenever they've shown an all new Simpsons episode, it's been 2:00 in the morning over here :(

Wow, these old decals are fighting every step of the application...got one side and the top wing crosses on...

P6210030.jpg

BlitzBCheers,

ggc