Airco DH2 (was Tripehound, Biff & Fokker)

I agree with Oliver.I think your skills are improving,and remember Campbell BI and Tri planes are more difficult to do than your average Mono plane in my books.So indeed hats off to you...........especially the rigging ;)

Cheers mate

Foz

Thanks guys & girls and if you have any advice before the fact or criticism afterwards please please please post it. I need all the help I can get & I reckon that if someone else benefits from it as well as me, you'll earn your 17 virgins.

OK, so. Let's take a look at the Bristol Fighter. Tempting box, innit?

IMG_0001-2.jpg

However, as I mentioned, the contents are a little less edifying. Standard stuff, I suppose for a bargain basement 1/72 kit...

IMG_0002-1.jpg

...but look at those ejector pin marks! :shocked:

IMG_0004.jpg

and these little nubbins? Theyre the strutlets that joint the fuselage to the lower wing.

IMG_00022.jpg

There's nothing right about them. I reckon Airfix wasn't even trying when they set this part of the kit up. Well, they're coming right off. I don't quite know what I'm going to do in their stead but I can't do much worse that the original parts.

Edited by crookedmouth

:blink: nubbins ! 103.jpg
you could make them from brass/piano wire , or just bin the whole thing and get the Roden jobbie :devil: - seriously , you're doing fine mate , better than my early attempts anyway . the Bristol is not one of Airfix's best . it needs loadsa work . Edited by blimp

IMG_0001-2.jpg

However, as I mentioned, the contents are a little less edifying. Standard stuff, I suppose for a bargain basement 1/72 kit...

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

and these little nubbins? Theyre the strutlets that joint the fuselage to the lower wing.

IMG_00022.jpg

There's nothing right about them. I reckon Airfix wasn't even trying when they set this part of the kit up. Well, they're coming right off. I don't quite know what I'm going to do in their stead but I can't do much worse that the original parts.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_00022.jpg

Just cut the Buggers off and replace them with iether heat stretched sprue or better still electric wire cut to length....thats what I'd do!! :)

Just cut the Buggers off and replace them with iether heat stretched sprue or better still electric wire cut to length....thats what I'd do!! :)

I've already trmmed my nubbins with my little knife and I have some copper wire as a replacement. It's good to know that at least two of my more inexperienced fellow modellers have hit on the correct solution :D

Nice Triplane.

Good luck with the Bristol,I've tried it it twice over the years and it ended up in the bin both times :tapedshut:

Aahh, don't be so cruel, the old Biff only needs a bit of TLC. I believe the original kit dates back to 1957 but take heart she's no monster. My only advice would be to make some card supports to hold the top wing up. I measure the wing gap, cut spaces in the card and glue a flat base onto the bottom. Make the spaces generous heightwise or you could pull the wings off when removing as I once did. Here's one I did earlier complete with nubbins. Regards, Steve

DSCF2007.jpg

Edited by stevehed

Ok.

Since you open the door for help/advice/ critism ...ect.

Those sink marks are just plain awful however it can be fixed.

Heres what I would do:

Fill all the holes Sink marks only) on the wings with putty. A light sanding on the top and bottom of the wings ridges.

Once you sanded all the excess putty to get a smooth finish. applly and glue very thin strips of styrene (round of square) to duplicate the top of the ridges on the wings...once dry ( overnite) sand lighty to blend the styrene strips with the wing. If you want to go further in the look you can apply tissue paper dipped in white glue and apply over the whole wing to duplicate texture. Dont forget to keep the scale effect with plastic strips.

Good luck

Oliver

Edited by shark 64

Ok.

Since you open the door for help/advice/ critism ...ect.

Those sink marks are just plain awful however it can be fixed.

Heres what I would do:

Fill all the holes Sink marks only) on the wings with putty. A light sanding on the top and bottom of the wings ridges.

Once you sanded all the excess putty to get a smooth finish. applly and glue very thin strips of styrene (round of square) to duplicate the top of the ridges on the wings...once dry ( overnite) sand lighty to blend the styrene strips with the wing. If you want to go further in the look you can apply tissue paper dipped in white glue and apply over the whole wing to duplicate texture. Dont forget to keep the scale effect with plastic strips.

Good luck

Oliver

You don't muck about, do you? :) The sink marks I can do (have made a start), but I don't have the styrene sheeting. I've seen it done (I think) with Tamiya Tape, but that won't sand and I presume would definitely need to be covered over. I'll have to think about that, but it mnay be a step too far for me at 1/72 at the moment.

I have however started to think about replacing the fuselage/lower wing strutlets (the nubbins) and I think I can do it with copper wire.

Stevehed - your Bristol looks rather tasty. I hope I can get to your standard :)

Hello mate.

The Tripe looks great fella, but lord knows I couldn't do that rigging so good on ya!

The Brisfit......Hmmmm I see what you mean, the artwork looks great but the bits inside look like off've olden days :D

Sure you will do a good job though.

Howard

Hello mate.

The Tripe looks great fella, but lord knows I couldn't do that rigging so good on ya!

The Brisfit......Hmmmm I see what you mean, the artwork looks great but the bits inside look like off've olden days :D

Sure you will do a good job though.

Howard

I shall certainly do my best. Oliver's given me some food for thought and I might try a little experimentation with tissue and tape...

Then agai, I may chicken out like a big wet girl. :bouncy:

The sink marks I can do (have made a start), but I don't have the styrene sheeting.

Stop whinging Campbell and take a look in the kitchen, there's loads of plastic sheet kicking about. I use those thin white plastic cups.

For a hole punch, make one out of suitable diameter brass tubing that's been sharpened.

BTW, that triplane is one to be proud of.

Dave

Nah , just sand the wings down , they are overly thick anyway , then rescribe the ribs , ( if actual doped fabric wings got THAT saggy they'd be scrapped :yikes: - doped surfaces are suprisingly flat in real life . )

106.jpg Edited by blimp

Stop whinging Campbell and take a look in the kitchen, there's loads of plastic sheet kicking about. I use those thin white plastic cups.

For a hole punch, make one out of suitable diameter brass tubing that's been sharpened.

BTW, that triplane is one to be proud of.

Dave

I never thought of that. I have, however been scratching up the cockpit area with some paper card, bits of old rocket pod and the like so I suppose I have some options open to me. BTW thanks for the compliments on the Tripe. I hope I can do better with the Biff.

Nah , just sand the wings down , they are overly thick anyway , then rescribe the ribs , ( if actual doped fabric wings got THAT saggy they'd be scrapped :yikes: - doped surfaces are suprisingly flat in real life . )

The kit wings are pretty saggy, but I'm still in 2 minds as to whether to have a go or not. Scribing them doesn't sound right though - surely it's raised detail not scribed that I'm after, however restrained?

The Tripe looks sweet, the Biff is coming along well, you deserve a medal just for working in 1/72.

Cheers matey. I wouldn't claim to have had a scale-epiphany, but I may not be quite so sniffy about 1/72 in the future :)

Just in case anyone thought that I might be lounging about at my ease, perhaps with young maidens pressing figs into my mouth and oiling my feet, I am having a go at the Bristol.

I've added a little detail to the cockpit using card and commo wire and while my painting may be a little wonky and my use of CA glue may be a tad liberal, the effect at real scale (not photo-enlarged) and with the fuselage closed up is quite OK. I may have another go at the painting, just for the sake of form. I am also trying to put together an instrument panel (with somewhat dubious success) and a wee shelf for the gunner, and that brown misshapen lump at the bottom of the picture is not a half-chewed fig, but a fairly creditable (but still WIP) chair for the pilot.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

I guess that the poor gunner didn't have anywhere to sit? I also suppose I shall have to craft some Lewis magazines for him...

Edited by crookedmouth

Oh carp. I dun the bad thing again. In a moment of idleness this morning, I wandered over to wonderland models and bought myself the Roden 1/48 Brisfit. I have along list of kits that I want to build, but I keep going off and buying something different. I really shouldn't be allowed near the interwebz. :(

What should I use for 1/48 scale rigging?

Edited by crookedmouth

What with one thing & another, the modelling has been so fractured over the last few days, that I've neglected the updates. The fuselage is in one bit, now and I've fitted the lower wing, using copper wire instead of the kit's nubbins. Still a little overscale but a big improvement. Of course, the real test will be when I try to fit the upper wing and find that the main struts don't meet :analintruder:

IMG_0002-1-1.jpg

IMG_0003-1-1.jpg

My cockpit detailing is strictly amateur and the inst panel looks pretty carp, but it is a little better than the gaping black hole that came with the kit. I'm rather pleased with the Scarff Ring, although it'll need a little tidying. Of course, that's pretty much it for the kit. The next job will be to start on the painting, I think. This was never really going to be about detailing, but rather an exercise in rigging. Thats going to be fun as the Brisfit takes at least double what the Tripe did and I think I really need a go at the control wires as well. I don't think I have enough buckles, though...

• 2 weeks later...

Well,after several weeks of prevarication and rather little modelling, I ought to get this show back on the road. Not only do I have a 1/48 Brisfit on the way (Wonderland models, bless em, sent me the wrong kit to start with and now find that the kit I really wanted isn't in stock) but I made an unexpected purchase at HobbyCraft this morning.

Anyway - heres the BF as it is at the moment...

IMG_0001-2-1.jpg

A little more painting and then I have to take the bull by the horns and start thinking about rigging. and here is the unexpected purchase. Pretty innit?

IMG_0003.jpg

At least it's in keeping with the thread. I was so pleased with the Revell Tripe that I thought I'd try another Revell offering. I was rather taken by the colour scheme and a little mystified by the underside decals, till I realised that they're a template for that fetching lozenge camo that the dashed Hun concocted to confound us modellers. That should be a laugh... not. Anyhoo, at least there ain't any rigging worth worrying about.

Anyway - heres the BF as it is at the moment...

Hi there Campbell...nice to see you back on board with the BRISFIT...looking good so far!......However the Fokker's Lozenge cammo looks a handfull!!Good luck! :o

Cheers

Foz