F4H-1

Well after several years (4 i think, see so long ago i can't even remember when i started it!) of on and off modelling i have finally finished trying to make my airfix F-4 into a passable F4H-1 (early model F-4B). Alot of changes had to made and i still didn't correct everything, so your rivet counter will probably do his nut at these pictures.

The kit is now a frankenphantom containing parts from hasegawa, fujimi, esci, revell and some scratch built stuff (cockpit, splitter plates, fuselage extension, pitots etc) but i think it as least looks like a pantom now. She's painted up in the colours of the first operational fleet squadron, VF-74 Bedevilers, using decals that came with the kit which was a 1970 something boxing, and yet they performed flawlessly.

Lastly i want to say thanks to Col. as i wouldn't have been able to finish this beast without him kindly sending me some stencils.

F4H-1001.jpg

F4H-1002.jpg

F4H-1003.jpg

F4H-1004.jpg

F4H-1005.jpg

Thanks for looking, it ain't great but i'm happy with it and it taught me alot about scratch building.

Oliver

Glad to see you got her finished Oliver, long-term projects are always the most rewarding and I'm sure she was a good step up on the learning curve. Top job mate, bet no-one would guess it was the Airfix kit if you didn't say so.

That is the Phantom I have been wanting to make ever since I got the first Airfix phanton when I was about 7 ot 8!

You hit the nail on the head there old chap!

It was that kit and those markings that set me off on a love affair with this a/c.

Oliver

Very Very Nice model. :thumbsup:

Must make this my next 1:48th Phantom project!

Cheers once again for the comments lads. One note to make to anyone wishing to build an early VF-74 F4H-1 is that it has no antenna's or RWR devices except for the standard blade antenna on the nose gear door. Also the big lightning strike is actually two lightning strikes on each side of the spine, placed fairly close together. Hence in some pictures it looks like a solid block as airfix have done, i only noticed this after i had got this far.

If people would like i can post up some scans of VF-74 phantoms that a friend sent me.