1:48 Tamiya A-10A 354th TFW

AnonymousDFB1

I really must get my A-10s out of the stash one day... it's one of the kits that got me back into modelling, so would make sense. The Tamiya kit doesn't seem THAT bad, but the underside of the nose looks a bit odd, and the vertical fins do too. Could just be the angle or distortion at the edges of the lens :shrug:

Keep on sprayin' :)

Do I see an Italeri 1/72 A-10 on the background ready to get painted? ^_^

Wow, you go fast! I'm not even close to the painting phase. :o

Now I'm curious how you are going to paint that camouflage. Free hand? Masking? Blu tack?

Doesn't look easy with the over spray ...

Do I see an Italeri 1/72 A-10 on the background ready to get painted? ^_^

Wow, you go fast! I'm not even close to the painting phase. :o

Now I'm curious how you are going to paint that camouflage. Free hand? Masking? Blu tack?

Doesn't look easy with the over spray ...

Got some more 'mods' to do on the Italeri (will update the build thread soon)

The camo on the Tamiya will be done freehand, I think it looks more authentic. I prefer to do it that way I minimise overspray by lowering the pressure and getting in close with a fine spray

Then you will need some careful painting around those engines. This isn't the easiest paint job because the camouflage goes completely around.

I'm excited to see the final result. ^_^

I did my last model (Heller 1/48 Mirage 2000N) freehand. That was my first camouflage job with an airbrush (Badger 150) and has gone very well. But I had some over spraying at the cockpit where the engine intakes are, but no big problems after all. I might do my A-10 freehand too :) .

Then you will need some careful painting around those engines. This isn't the easiest paint job because the camouflage goes completely around.

I'm excited to see the final result. ^_^

I did my last model (Heller 1/48 Mirage 2000N) freehand. That was my first camouflage job with an airbrush (Badger 150) and has gone very well. But I had some over spraying at the cockpit where the engine intakes are, but no big problems after all. I might do my A-10 freehand too :) .

Ah ha I've been clever, the intakes are only attached with PVA so I can take them off to finish them and touch up the engine fans.

SLIGHTLY off topic i know, but can someone who has any 48th a-10s , but probably the tamiya one tell me what decal options are in the kit?..ive got an old one i got in a job lot of built kits and was just wondering which one i had, and the markings are probably the best way of ID'ing the kit

TIA

steve

Steve

On the original Tamiya 1/48 issue the markings were:

1. 50261 or 50263 355th TFW 333rd TFTS at Davis-Monthan AFB Ariz. Two tone grey camouflage.

2. 50260 or 75259 355th TFW 333rd TFTS at Davis-Monthan AFB Ariz. Overall Light Grey.

3. 31669 Preproduction Air Force Systems Command No 6 Aircraft. Gunship Grey mottle on Light Grey.

4. 31664 Preproduction Air Force Systems Command No 1 Aircraft. Overall Gunship Grey.

Peter

Edited by dambuster