I have been fascinated with the Sturmtiger ever since I saw an article about it in Military Modelling magazine in the early 70s.  The author converted the 1/35 Tamiya kit of the time.  He used a number of household items to create the mortar, including a table tennis ball for the mantlet!

Nowadays, of course, we don't need to convert anything.  According to Scalemates there are at least seven 1/35 kits that have been available.  There are three kits in 1/48, at least seven in 1/72 and even kits in smaller scales.  We're truly living in a Golden Age!  :thumbsup:

I'm going to build one in 1/48, using the Tamiya kit.

spacer.png

I love these 1/48 Tamiya armour kits.  They are perfect mojo restorers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are two of these sprues

spacer.png

The model does not have any zimmerit moulded in, but Tamiya produced an aftermarket set which you peel off and stick on.  I have used these before and had good results. 

spacer.png

This is gonna be fun.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 10

Fantastic choice Enzo. I love the ridiculousness of the Sturmtiger and the size of it. Good luck with it and if it is as good as the Tamiya 35th you should enjoy it. 👍👍

• Like 1

Off we go.  Hold on tight, rider!  :D

I like my tank models to have a bit of heft, so I add ballast.  Mr Tamiya obviously agrees with me as there are four metal ballast weights included in the kit.

spacer.png

The upper hull and casemate mostly complete.

spacer.png

It builds up quickly.  This is about forty minutes work!

spacer.png

Some of the parts in this kit are identical to ones in the Tiger I kit:  the wheels and tracks and the lower hull.  However, the differences between the two are covered with different parts which are added.  The two models have different hardpoints for the towing cables.  Sturmtiger in front and Tiger I behind.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Hold on tight, rider!

If I scream, will you build faster? 🤔😂

Detail looks great, but it's Tamiya, so wouldn't expect anything less! 

I'll follow along .... 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

I've got one of these kits and that same zimmerit set, so I shall be following your build very closely, looking to pick up tips as you go along! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:47 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I have been fascinated with the Sturmtiger ever since I saw an article about it in Military Modelling magazine in the early 70s.  The author converted the 1/35 Tamiya kit of the time.  He used a number of household items to create the mortar, including a table tennis ball for the mantlet!

Nowadays, of course, we don't need to convert anything.  According to Scalemates there are at least seven 1/35 kits that have been available.  There are three kits in 1/48, at least seven in 1/72 and even kits in smaller scales.  We're truly living in a Golden Age!  :thumbsup:

I'm going to build one in 1/48, using the Tamiya kit.

spacer.png

I love these 1/48 Tamiya armour kits.  They are perfect mojo restorers.

spacer.png

This is gonna be fun.  :thumbsup: 

Good choice of subject, when the kit is all styrene I agree with you completely but I find the metal tubs a real mojo destroyer. Hope it keeps going well for you.

• Like 1

Zimmerit applied.  This is a straightforward process.  The adhesive doesn't seem to be very strong and the pieces can be repositioned easily.  However once pressed down firmly the pieces sit nicely.  However...  having said that, I sealed the edges with superglue.  Yannow...  just in case.  :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The casemate front and top panels completed.   I have also added a piece of foam for the figure to stand on.

spacer.png

Casemate closed up.

spacer.png

The upper hull has had the detail parts added (the mortar muzzle is just a push fit at the moment).  The front mudguards have been distressed slightly using a candle.  The side mudguards will be fitted shortly but they will probably be severely distressed with whole sections missing.

The white is overspray from priming the interior, just in case any of it is visible through the open hatch.

spacer.png

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The white is overspray from priming the interior, just in case any of it is visible through the open hatch.

Will you be able to see through the cavern that is that mortar too?

Looking good, like your idea with the foam too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SimonT said:

Will you be able to see through the cavern that is that mortar too?

No, that is blocked off at the bottom.  As long as the barrel isn't set approaching 90°, the end shouldn't be easily visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I added the mudguards on the sides.  Well, some of them...  :)  I thought that this vehicle would have spent a lot of time in urban environments with a lot of resulting damage to the flimsy mudguards.  Therefore I cut some sections away and distressed the remaining bits.  The model has been primed with grey plastic primer from a rattle can. 

You can see that some of the zimmerit overlays need to be sealed with superglue.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Sprayed overall with Tamiya XF-088 Dark Yellow 2.

spacer.png

The camouflage was then sprayed freehand using XF-089 Green and XF-090 Red Brown.

spacer.png

Running gear sprayed up ready for fitment.

spacer.png

Like so.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5