1:72 PRU Mitchell Mk.II 684 Sqn RAF, Burma

Hi All,

Happy Easter to one and all! Whilst I am waiting for a replacement kit for my DAF duo project, I thought I'd start another build! Inspired by @AliGauld's lovely 1;48 B25, I thought I'd have another crack at Auntie's lovely Mitchell II. This was one of my very first RFIs on this forum, a whole 5 years ago, so I thought it was about time to build another. As that build was one of the kit schemes, I thought this time I'd try something a little different, so I'm going to build this as a PRU version, specifically MA956 of 684 Sqn RAF:

8798478a24baf4e9636fe7b36abe72eb.jpg

You will note that this is a single colour scheme, so I will have to try and add some texture! I was a little dubious regarding the scheme as presented above - an AVM flying on operations?? There is very little photographic evidence I can find of this scheme, but the legend Tony O'Toole did build one a few years back. Here's the scheme as presented on his thread (I believe it is a DK Decals sheet):

DKD72043.jpg?t=

That shows no mission tally, no AVM pennant, white centres to the roundel, and a serial in white - hmmmm! Any photographic evidence gratefully received, but at least I can paint it PRU blue. Interestingly this version of the scheme shows de-icing boots, whereas the other does not (I suspect the latter to be correct, and it will certainly add a little interest). So, here's the boxart:

20240328-180719.jpg

Here's the sprues:

20240328-180827.jpg

20240328-180845.jpg

20240328-180909.jpg

The lovely transparencies:

20240328-180929.jpg

The decals (stencils only will be used), along with obligatory mask set:

20240328-180743.jpg

In order to make a PRU version there are a couple of changes I shall need to make:

- Fair over the astrodome behind the cockpit

- Plunge mould a large astrodome in place of the dorsal turret

- The ventral turret is faired over

- The 3 cameras were mounted in the ventral turret location arranged in a lateral fan (one pointing downwards, two oblique), so appropriate holes will need to be drilled. I don't think the cameras will be at all visible so no point adding them.

As I say, references are scarce for this one, so any information gratefully received! As the wife is infected with the spicy sneeze we will be laying low this weekend, so plenty of available bench time. There's always a silver lining,,,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Spelling
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• Dunny changed the title to 1:72 PRU Mitchell Mk.II 684 Sqn RAF, Burma
13 hours ago, Dunny said:

Any photographic evidence gratefully received,

You need Eyes For The Phoenix by Geoff Thomas,  photo reconnaissance in SEAC.  It has IIRC a few pics, I don't think they were PRU Blue, but some local mix. Book not hand.

Despite the name, it actually has a lot of detail about colours, like tables with various colour references like Munsell and Methuen, and markings  in it, it's the best guide I know of on SEAC colours, let alone the PR stuff, like PR mods.

Also covers FAA, so colour section cover US colors as well.

I think it's OOP,  but pdfs of it are floating about ;)

HTH 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo nice choice Roger, looking forward to this one. Like PRU blue machines.  I have a PRU blue Hudson planned.

I hope SWMBO recovers swiftly fella.

Chirs

Thanks Chris - will look forward to that Hudson! Unwell missus = more bench time, so one has to be philosophical about these things...

9 hours ago, Beard said:

I've been planning on doing a Michell in those colours but have been sidetracked so, I'll follow along (if that's okay).

Of course - welcome aboard!

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

You need Eyes For The Phoenix by Geoff Thomas,  photo reconnaissance in SEAC.  It has IIRC a few pics, I don't think they were PRU Blue, but some local mix. Book not hand.

Despite the name, it actually has a lot of detail about colours, like tables with various colour references like Munsell and Methuen, and markings  in it, it's the best guide I know of on SEAC colours, let alone the PR stuff, like PR mods.

Also covers FAA, so colour section cover US colors as well.

I think it's OOP,  but pdfs of it are floating about ;)

HTH 

Thanks Troy - will see if I can search out a copy.

4 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Looking forward to this... cool scheme and great mods planned for it :) 

Thanks David - welcome aboard!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Unwell missus = more bench time, so one has to be philosophical about these things...

Hope she's not looking over your shoulder😄😉 Know what you mean though :whistle:

19 hours ago, Dunny said:

I thought this time I'd try something a little different, so I'm going to build this as a PRU version, specifically MA956 of 684 Sqn RAF:

8798478a24baf4e9636fe7b36abe72eb.jpg

where is the profile above from?

Note the profile has turquoise SEAC centres, which is wrong.

I have Eyes For The Phoenix out, there is profile of E, MA956, of 5 PRU, May 1942, India Command version of PRU Blue, Sky code and serial

I haven't spotted a photo in the book showing the profile details.   There is a pic on page 103,  saying probably MA956, relegated to courier duties at Comilla in India in 1944,  so there maybe a pic with the mission totals and AVM pennant somewhere, which the courier duties would explain, the image is from the rear starboard though.

HTH 

• Like 2

Ooh nice one Roger.

A cracking scheme and i'll be delighted to see this coming together.

Thanks for the mention, however undeserved it may be.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1