Polikarpov I-15bis, 14th Artillery Spotting Flight, Siberia, 1944

7TpJFjc.jpeg

y9etMMj.jpeg

phgqFkH.jpeg

Et5yln0.jpeg

lNQ4EZn.jpeg

qs3sCkP.jpeg

The initial I-15 biplane was not popular with leadership of the VVS. The I-15bis replaced the earlier model's gulled upper wing with a standard cabane center-section, and replaced the earlier model's Townsend ring with a full cowling similar to that of its monoplane stablemate, the I-16. The resulting machine was faster, but not so manouverable as the original. Production of the I-15bis ended by 1940, with some 2400 built. By summer of 1941, the type was mostly with ground attack and training units. These latter were combed over for useful machines in the wake of the havoc wreaked on VVS front-line strength when the German invasion commenced. Some survived the emergency, and continued on in various second-line duties. This is one of them, flown as an artillery spotter with a unit stationed in Siberia during the last months of the war.

This is the 'old tool' ICM I-15bis (in its Encore' re-issue). It remains a good kit, and not much different from the company's later kit of the type. It is finished in line with a photograph on the Soviet Warplanes site:

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/i15/i15bis/i15bisevolution/i-152evolution.htm

James

• Like 32

7 hours ago, kelly9mm said:

Very cute bird. I love the painting!

Thank you.

Don't know if anybody yet has called one of these flying oil drums 'cute', but they do have a look to them.

James

• Haha 1

Nice looking tiny kit James !!

I like this camo, the Black lines separating the two colours must be a nightmare to reproduce !!

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 9:06 PM, SoftScience said:

I think they're cute, too. :)

nice work on this one. What are the rails on the lower wing? Racks marker flares?

Thank you.

It needs some tweaking, but nothing the new one gets any better....

Under the wings are rails for launching an 82mm rocket, crudely represented. These were pretty ubiquitous on anything operating an an 'army cooperation' role. I suppose there were smoke warheads for these, that's a good thought.

James

Edited by Old Man

On 3/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, corsaircorp said:

Nice looking tiny kit James !!

I like this camo, the Black lines separating the two colours must be a nightmare to reproduce !!

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you.

It is a striking scheme. Putting in the lines wasn't much bother, just follow the demarcation of the base colors. They aren't uniform width or anything, and I've got lots of small brushes.

James

• Thanks 1