1/144 Airfix BOAC VC10 & BA BAC1-11

On 15/03/2024 at 19:42, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome along with two classic British airliners. 

On 16/03/2024 at 07:21, CliffB said:

Should be good! :welcome:

Thank you!

As both of these kits have been started, I'm going to need an adjudication from @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @CliffB before I go too much further...!

The VC10 is the 1/144 Airfix RAF Tanker version, shown below, with some BOAC decals:

vc10.jpg

The windows have been filled ready for the decals and the fuselage joined together, but that's pretty much it - hopefully suitable for inclusion?

The BAC 1-11 is slightly more advanced, with wings, engine and tailplane also glued:

baci.jpg

Whilst this build looks relatively more advanced, I'm reasonably confident that I'm not 25% of the way there yet, as the finishing part takes me hours...!

However if the adjudicators disagree, I will gracefully withdraw the 1-11 from the GB.👍

Awaiting the decision with trepidation...!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

As both of these kits have been started, I'm going to need an adjudication from @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @CliffB before I go too much further...!

I feel all kits deserve to be made, I think for sure the VC10 is below 25% as you still gave a lot of bits not glued. Add to that it still needs sanding, polishing, and all the painting. As for the 1-11, I think you're a wee bit closer to being done. Either way I say ok to build either/both but the 1-11 maybe goes into the inspiration gallery ? Though I think @CliffB has the final say ? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Though I think @CliffB has the final say

Thanks for your thoughts and I’ll await the final verdict! I’ll be building both concurrently anyway, but if the 1-11 is disallowed I’ll keep it out of the thread.👍

• Like 1

Ive had an Aifix BAC 111 in my stash for 45 years, ever since I came back from a school ski trip to Italy and my first ever flight. 

This might tempt me to actually build it! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I agree with @Corsairfoxfouruncle on both counts.  My interpretation of '% complete' relates to man-hours effort (rather than number of parts assembled).

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Colin W said:

This might tempt me to actually build it! 

Go for it! It’s not the most accurate model, but has a certain charm!

@CliffB and @Corsairfoxfouruncle thank you for your verdict, with which I concur! There are many hours ahead of me here on both models, so updates will start to trickle in soon!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Colin W said:

my first ever flight. 

I reckon Airfix sold plenty on the back of first ever flights; mine was a DanAir one for Spain. Alas, Airifx put odd fuselage halves in and there was a delay awaiting the exchange; hopefully no. such problem here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/03/2024 at 16:02, Mjwomack said:

I reckon Airfix sold plenty on the back of first ever flights; mine was a DanAir one for Spain. Alas, Airifx put odd fuselage halves in and there was a delay awaiting the exchange; hopefully no. such problem here

It's a lovely little kit, albeit 'of its time'. I quite like the simplicity of these older ones!

Not a huge update, but a little progress was made. The VC10 kit is the tanker version, so needs modification to remove the refuelling station on the lower rear fuselage. A razor saw removed a large chunk of the plastic before filler was applied:

tkr.jpg

A session with some 240 grit awaits!

• Like 10

I mentioned the mod to the fuselage to remove the refuelling station, so thought it was worth a quick look at the wings to see what is needed here. Not much - just a couple of slots to fill and a couple of components to discard:

pods.jpg

I've also attached the engine nacelles to the 1-11, which has thrown up a few problems. The rear air-stairs need rescribing, the engine pylons are missing quite a bit of material and the cargo door fit needs looking at (all issues marked with a cyan dot!):

fil.jpg

Time for some more filler and 240 grit!

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/03/2024 at 07:25, CliffB said:

Where would we be without filler? :winkgrin:

Good luck with sorting out the issues.

Thanks Cliff!

Talking of filler, I've build the engine pods for the VC10 and they will need some too.. Here are both models, with filler lavishly slavered over the many blemishes:

teng.jpg

Another sanding session beckons but each one is improving things noticeably.

• Like 8