Hasagawa 1/72 Mistubishi J2M Raiden (Jack)

Another Hasegawa kit I completed around the same time as my last post. This kit was part of the same line as my Tony, using 70s plastic but released with a new box in 1980. Just like the Tony, this kit gave me no issues in assembly and it really cemented my opinion of Hasegawa. This was painted in AK Real Colors' IJN D1 Green Black on the upper surfaces and Hairyokushoku on the undersides. This kit actually didn't come with any decals so I had to use leftover ones from my Tony. The fuselage roundels should be slightly larger but I worked with what I had. This was long before I would have felt comfortable enough to try masking off and painting the correct size (something I still may be hesitant to do).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Raiden was designed by Jiro Hirikoshi, the same man who designed the more famous A6M Zero, the fighter that gave Japan aerial superiority in the early stages of the war. The Raiden was built as an Interceptor, and after a long delay in production beginning in 1942, it entered service at the end of '43 until the Japanese surrender. As an interceptor, the Raiden was used to defend Japanese territory against Allied B-29 Superfortress bombers, and was successful in doing so for a short time until the Allies began night bombing runs in March of 1945. This, combined with a lack of numbers in production, limited the Raiden's effectiveness.

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16651&authk

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16652&authk

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16644&authk

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16643&authk

• Like 23

Beautiful clean work indeed! But maybe try some newer molds before final cementing. I can confirm that mostly Hasegawa can be very good to put together.

Kk

• Like 1

Another older Hasegawa kit you have put together and finished quite well.  Just a very nice looking model.  Looks just as good as a modern kit as far as a finished kit goes.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I may well have one of these Hasegawa Jacks in the stash, looking at yours I'm wondering if it should stay in the stash as I doubt I'd get it to the same excellent level as yours.

Terrific build there, one question; who's paint is on the propeller

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I may well have one of these Hasegawa Jacks in the stash, looking at yours I'm wondering if it should stay in the stash as I doubt I'd get it to the same excellent level as yours.

Terrific build there, one question; who's paint is on the propeller

Thank you for the outstanding compliment--I truly appreciate the high words.

As for the propellor paint, this is AK Interactive's 3rd Generation Acrylic 11106 Mahogany Brown. It's actually one part I would do differently now and opt for a less red mahogany colour.

Stan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CheapTricked said:

Thank you for the outstanding compliment--I truly appreciate the high words.

As for the propellor paint, this is AK Interactive's 3rd Generation Acrylic 11106 Mahogany Brown. It's actually one part I would do differently now and opt for a less red mahogany colour.

Stan

Stan,

I asked because I used Mr Color’s red-brown on a recent build, and it was a lot more dark brown than red brown, but your colour seems in your photos to be the right colour, at least as far as the paint guide for my model.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whofan said:

Stan,

I asked because I used Mr Color’s red-brown on a recent build, and it was a lot more dark brown than red brown, but your colour seems in your photos to be the right colour, at least as far as the paint guide for my model.

Ah. I have painted a few in the AK colour I mentioned above, but also have a version of Mahogany by Mr. Color as well that I may try on my next Japanese plane (though looking at it, it may be a little too brown. I may mix it with a touch of Tamiya Hull Red or the AK Mahogany to get the right shade I want).
I think I would prefer closer to this colour below, but, as I've discovered, it seems there is no real agreed upon shade for most Japanese WWII-era planes out there.

IMG_2771_crop.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can agree with you on the lack of agreement on shade of paint for Japanese WW2 aircraft !

• Like 1