Uncle Ian’s RAAF 3 Sqn. Mustang III

Flight Lieutenant Ian Howard Roediger served with 3 Squadron RAAF for two tours of WWII.

Married to my Grandmother’s sister, F/L Roediger was my great uncle. Family folklore held his exploits with the Kittyhawk in high regard. He is on the far left of the second row in this photo.

F/L Roediger performed a textbook wheels-up landing in Kittyhawk IV FX639 on a whizzer strip, on the 13th May 1944, after being hit by A/A over Cassino. The aircraft was not badly damaged and was returned to service. A few months later on the 13th June he bailed out of Kittyhawk IV FX713 at 800ft, after again being hit by A/A. He was rescued by a forward stretcher bearer patrol. For his airmanship, he was awarded the DFC.

When Rex Bayly completed his second operational tour and went on leave on the 21st October 1944, F/L Roediger was made Commanding Officer.  On the 29th, Murray Nash returned to start his 2nd tour and resumed command as Squadron Leader.

3 Squadron was the first RAAF unit to be equipped with the North American P-5l Mustang III. From reading through the Operations Record, it’s clear that F/L Roediger initially flew Mustang III FX942, later Mustang III KH613 during November 1944. For the final mission of his second and final tour, on 6th December 1944, he flew Mustang III KH615, code CV-B. The op was an armed reconnaissance run over Sarajevo, and it’s this Mustang I will be building.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.58.26 PM

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.59.03 PM

The Arma Hobby 1/72 P-51B/C will comprise the base on which I will be working.

53566624555_e9e57681d9_b.jpg

The decal sheet for 3 Sqn. FB244 has everything I need for KH615, apart from the correct codes and serials. In a spot of good luck, one of the other options has the serial KH516, so I’ll chop that up and rearrange it!

For the codes, I will utilise a ‘B’ from the Ventura sheet V3279. White 8” serials in 1/32nd scale. 12" 1/48th, 18" 1/72nd. Because I haven’t been able to locate any definitive photos of KH615, I’m making an educated guess on the shape, but there’s a nice blocky ‘B’ that matches the ‘CV’ quite well.

One aspect of the KH series of Mustang IIIs I have noticed in photos is that they all have a fin fillet, so I’ll be sure to choose that option. I’m otherwise assuming the camouflage pattern and colour (Ocean Grey / Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey) should match the FB244 diagram, but would love to have this confirmed by anyone in the know. I would really appreciate any input on other details that may be relevant.

I'll likely start this a few weeks late, as I've committed to quite a number of group builds this year. It's a special one, so while I'm aiming for the deadline, I'll be happy enough to continue later in the WIP if that's ok.

As a final note, the Operations Records above have been copied and posted from my personal Flickr account, as they are now out of copyright and in the public domain. If this is a problem I will willingly remove them.

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 11

Awesome! Love the personal connection. Glad you know his squadron and found his ORBs. This is very cool!

I'm still waiting (19 months after request 😛 ) for my great uncle's records. He never revealed his operational squadron to the family and I only found his Ventura OTU through a google search for his service number that turned up a class lost. I am itching to find out where he went after!

50 minutes ago, marvinneko said:

Awesome! Love the personal connection. Glad you know his squadron and found his ORBs. This is very cool!

I only met him a few times when I was very young, as he lived across the Tasman- I grew to know my Great Aunt quite well more recently, after he had died. Interestingly, Mum had always been hugely enthusiastic about his Kittyhawk escapades, but described him as operating around Darwin. The wheels-up landing was apparently down to a run-in with Zeros! Funny how history is distorted over time.

I learnt about Uncle Ian’s actual service by looking him up fairly recently. After the shock of learning he flew over the Western Desert, Italy and Yugoslavia, It’s been quite an incredible experience to look through the records. It sounds like a cliche, but it really does bring the history to life.

My Grandfather trained to navigate in Mosquitoes, and I have his diaries, but I’m yet to read through to where and when he flew- I want to savour the experience. I have a serial for an Anson he spent a lot of time on, but I think his experience on Mosquitoes was mainly limited to training in Nova Scotia. Really looking forward to starting research on that front.

I hope you find out where else your Great Uncle served, it’s adds a pretty special dimension to the craft. It does look as if a lot of the Commonwealth squadrons have ORBs in the National Archives so you might well have access to those.

• Like 3

That's another fantastic bit of historical connection. If your grandfather trained in the BCATP he may have done elementary training, specialized training, gunner training and operational training in Canada. We had schools for each level and specializations for pilots, navigator/observers, and air gunners/wireless operators.

The operational record books are available free online

along with magazines/journals/newsletters put out by the schools.

https://rcaf.info/rcaf-books-and-periodicals/station-magazines-and-newspapers/

• Like 1

Good morning Karearea

Welcome aboard with a very interesting subject I love the personnal connection  ..

Have fun with your build

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:21 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Karearea

Welcome aboard with a very interesting subject I love the personnal connection  ..

Have fun with your build

Best regards

Patrice

Thanks Patrice!

On 3/4/2024 at 9:38 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Brilliant! Your family connection will make this a particularly meaningful build. And fantastic to see another 3 Sqn Mustang in the GB. 🤗

Thanks, eager to get started! I saw in your thread that you're planning a 3 Sqn. F-35A and Mirage for the GBs later this year- I'm definitely down for the F-35A as well. If your Hurri GB goes ahead next year I reckon I could be persuaded to build a 3 Sqn. example there too. As a Squadron they really did fly an incredible array of types. I have a Hornet with decals for an example I saw display at Pt. Cook in the stash, and I'm even looking into the feasibility of an Auster Mk. III they flew for a little while. With the Sabre GB coming up it will be interesting to see if any CAC Sabres turn up.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 07:14, Karearea said:

As a Squadron they really did fly an incredible array of types. I have a Hornet with decals for an example I saw display at Pt. Cook in the stash, and I'm even looking into the feasibility of an Auster Mk. III they flew for a little while.

Not to mention the captured Bf 109s!

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/picture.php?/Messerschmitt_Bf109_CV_V/category/messerschmitt-bf109g-10639

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at getting started on the Mustang, and Arma have really given the modeller a plethora of options to get every detail precise.

I’m referencing a few photos to help decide on options, this one, this one, this one, and this one of KH616.

53588038616_76ce7a8655_b.jpg

The instructions assume the configuration without a fuselage fuel tank, so I’m going with the radio boxes spread across two levels- I don’t know if this is correct for the KH serial Mustangs, so I’d be interested to hear of any better data here. I’m also assuming the Warren McArthur type seat.

The tail will of course be filleted, and the vents under the nose are clearly the grid type.

53588249208_cf6d65fd74_b.jpg

The only real ambiguity is the radio mast. Arma would have the RAAF example use the fatter more rectangular mast (B34), but I think photographs look more like the tapered mast (B33).

Finally the record for this mission specifies the 62 imp. Gal L.R. drop tanks, with each aircraft jettisoning one during the flight. I’m not sure if I’ll depict the aircraft pre or post flight, but from what I can tell the 62 imp. Gal tanks are the teardrop shaped ones.

53588359109_3d48a58746_b.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Karearea said:

I’m not sure if I’ll depict the aircraft pre or post flight

Come to think of it, post flight could be quite poignant, particularly with the canopy open and the machine cooled down. To that end, any idea which drop tank would usually be jettisoned- port or starboard?

Edit: I’ve seen my error. The 2nd operation is the one I’m looking at here, and everything was jettisoned. Each aircraft carried one bomb and one 62 imp. Gal drop tank- I’d still be interested to know which was on which side. I’ll have to source a 500 lb bomb as those in the kit are 250 lb.

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

53588756178_30e44b1bde_b.jpg

I’m rather proud of this.. my first go at photoetch. Drumstick? it’s a toothpick.

I chose a piece that was so tiny it wouldn’t go amiss if I lost it, yet somehow I got it to stick.

Reading tutorials, it seems as if one of the biggest risks is pinging the part off while removing it from the fret. I therefore used a cellophane bag big enough to contain both hands, and would have lost the piece if I hadn’t. Then a toothpick with blutack gunk on it to pick the part up.

If anything I found the gunsight above the IP trickier. No doubt beginner’s luck, but I definitely don’t feel so intimidated by PE any more!

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 2:36 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Yes! I could also be interested in the forthcoming Airfix starter Bf 109F-4 as a quick and easy base to recreate HK849. I like the way it was pressed into service as a hack, rather than a cosseted test article. Very ANZAC.

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Karearea said:

I’m referencing a few photos to help decide on options

It’s always fun sleuthing which part options to use when not building out of the box. Less fun is working with PE! Nice work.

• Like 1

I sat down tonight thinking I’d just clean up a few parts and catch up with my wife. Unfortunately for her Arma have really outdone themselves on this kit, and I built up the cooling system as well, including PE radiator grilles.

53588800996_38a295a09d_b.jpg

I’ve been back modelling for about 14 months, and have made some quite nice recent Airfix models and a lot of ‘classics’. This is the first kit I’ve made that feels like a fundamental shift in technology since those I made before the turn of the millennium. The fit is just astounding- I found myself dry fitting parts just to see how the engineering has been considered.

For example look at how all the pieces join up around the rear of the scoop:

53589244190_7bb4a70c13_b.jpg

Clipping out some larger parts enables the basic aircraft to be assembled, without any tape to hold it together:

53588801021_c4ee5cf304_b.jpg

…Those sprue attachments along the leading edges aren’t going to be pleasant to cleanup however.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Still chipping away at this, mainly colour blocking the interior pieces- the kit is incredibly intricate compared to what I’m used to.

I’ve found time to detail two elements beloved of scale modellers.

i. The scuffed plywood floor:

53642430119_dce8d3ef78_b.jpg

ii. The complex wheel wells with zinc chromate stringers over aluminium base:

53642325923_52b8cc0224_b.jpg

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Fantastic work on both. 👏

Thanks mate!

Here’s a little inventory of the interior parts painted up. I’m quite pleased to have the bulk of that seat behind me, although the photoetch belts still need the buckles painted and to be attached. A decal is provided to place over the etch, but I think painting should give a better result.

53645671907_9978f98403_b.jpg

I’ll get interior decals on tomorrow if possible. Then I can do a subtle wash, seal it all, and think about closing up the fuselage.

• Like 7

53650270806_24f775a841_b.jpg

With decals on, tiny elements painted, and a wash over the top, the interior is complete. I’ve really enjoyed working with the sheer detail, although I think I’m pushing against the limits of my experience here. No major errors for once, although I’m frustrated with myself for installing the harness incorrectly, so it hangs too far down.

53650615554_9767085e91_b.jpg

Excited to close up the Mustang quite soon- there aren’t really a great deal of parts on the exterior!

• Like 4

There was some noise reduction on the last photos, so I've retaken the interior shots with an SLR outside. It's pretty unforgiving this close, but looks ok in person... and I prefer my canopies closed to show off the aircraft's lines.

53650270806_ea8d1d0404_b.jpg

53650615554_fce35989fa_b.jpg

• Like 5