An old Airfix Belvedere, before a rush of new Classic Airfix Belvederes. Some very light modification with white metal undercarriage, more correct tail surfaces and a cone in the front of the cabin air intake and better sized wheels from a Hasegawa Jaguar. I studiously avoided the correct shaped engine intakes, as that much cutting is beyond me. It also has the wrong coloured serials, which should be white, insufficient rudder and some lumps where it shouldn't have lumps. The base also needs more vigorous sanding, to remove laser burn. It does look like a Belvedere though, and sits well with the stick. It's fair to say that there will never be a Wingleader Belvedere Photo Archive Book.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 58

Nice, reminds of a long dead work colleague who was aircrew on the  Belvedere in Borneo during the confrontation with Indonesia.

Ian had some great stories. We spent far too much time chatting rather than working. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

You've done a nice job ....I also have an original kit and the SAM magazine article to upgrade it....was that what you used?

BZ to you

Thanks! The kit came with the old Maintrack Models resin conversion, with very useful plans. I used the undercarriage, but couldn't face the butchery required to attach a new nose and tail.

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Nice, reminds of a long dead work colleague who was aircrew on the  Belvedere in Borneo during the confrontation with Indonesia.

Ian had some great stories. We spent far too much time chatting rather than working. 

Must have been interesting, and a lucky man to survive so long! From what I read, they were 'challenging' to fly.

Lovely job 🏆

Not to take anything away from the smashing model, I've not seen a base like that before - is that expensive/difficult to do?

On 01/03/2024 at 11:57, Nerazzurri said:

Lovely job 🏆

Not to take anything away from the smashing model, I've not seen a base like that before - is that expensive/difficult to do?

Thanks, I got a laser cutter/engraver and router, having used them in a previous job as DT teacher. After a lot of experimenting with woods and settings have just about got it sorted. It's an ongoing project of kits with sticks. The gannet pic is wrong for the stick, I need a Sword 1/72nd AEW3. The Su-7B pitot failed to make it back in the house. I have a gift for breaking bits off.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

On 3/2/2024 at 6:53 PM, Wheelsup said:

Thanks, I got a laser cutter/engraver and router, having used them in a previous job as DT teacher. After a lot of experimenting with woods and settings have just about got it sorted. It's an ongoing project of kits with sticks. The gannet pic is wrong for the stick, I need a Sword 1/72nd AEW3. The Su-7B pitot failed to make it back in the house. I have a gift for breaking bits off.

Great idea! And lovely work 🥇

Thanks for the explanation and sharing.

• Like 1