Boeing 727-30 Lufthansa Delivery Scheme

Another build from me, and a switch back to Civil Aviation for this one. This is the Airfix boxing of the Boeing 727 kit and a quick check of the measurements indicate that it scales out to around those for -100 short body version and I will be using a set of 26 Decals for this classic Lufthansa Scheme. 

Here is an image from Airliners.net of D-ABIB at Stockholm -Arlanda in August 1964.

Boeing 727-30 D-ABIB 18360

Box and contents photos.

53558368052_9d2ca00429_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The fuselage parts have some slight warping but should pull together OK.

53559415508_cccf098a63_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The wing parts will need a bit of tidying to remove a bit of flash.

53559415513_de213489b2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here are the remaining parts including a stand, obviously issued when these came as a standard item in Airfix kits.

53558356922_cf234a8dd2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And finally my choice of decals for this build.

53559218286_40d6a1b988_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

53559660825_c9f2b42f4a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hope to get started on this soon.

John

• Like 18

On 01/03/2024 at 21:09, Andres Alvarado said:

Beautiful choice John!! I flew so many times in it as a child and my old man was involved in the acquisition and the paint scheme design for the Chilean Air Force one.... ahh the memories.

Picture

Cheers!!

That is a terrific photo Andres, thanks for posting it. I am pleased that the prospect of this build has brought back some memories for you.

I have made a start on the build and have fitted the doors and windows in each fuselage half, they will need some filling and a sand to tidy up any gaps. I have also made a start on rescribing some panel lines on one of the fuselage halves. I'll post some photos of the work that I have done so far tomorrow.

Regards.

John

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 2:09 PM, nimrod54 said:

That's some disco Dennis. I take it that entrance is via the rear airstairs.

I believe a rear port-side cargo door is the main entrance. But should be an interesting choice for a club or a home. 

https://www.loveproperty.com/galleries/amp/85843/the-man-who-lives-in-a-boeing-727-in-oregon

https://www.today.com/home/costa-verde-hotel-costa-rica-has-airplane-vacation-house-t132913

https://www.cnn.com/travel/people-living-in-planes/index.html

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Beautiful minimalist livery. Great choice.

I have always liked this scheme, it looked great on their B-707's too.

John.

• Like 1

Here are the photos of progress so far on the 727, As I said in my earlier posting, I have glued the doors and windows in place on each of the fuselage halves and made a start on rescribing the raised panel lines by simply using those as a guide. The doors and windows will be replaced with decals, so I will have to do some filling around those before sanding them flush with the fuselage.

img

by John L, on Flickr

53564357177_3a22c0d269_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I hope to get the fuselage assembled over the coming week.

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 10

Both of the fuselage halves have now been rescribed with the exception of the rudder area, I'll do that along with any areas that need further work one I have tidied the upper and lower joins up. I've also added some weight in the cockpit area -  hopefully there is enough in there to keep it on the undercarriage, if not the stand option will come into play.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 53575849112_2f0ba94a12_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

53577038629_9a83fe65e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

After leaving things overnight to set up I glued the two halves together. There was evidence of some warping when I was glueing them up and it took a combination of glues to get the halves together. Following some initial tidying, mainly to remove the super glue whilst it was still soft enough from the areas that I had used it, I have decided to leave the fuselage for a few days to set properly.

53576714621_a8b1bbb833_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Meanwhile I have made a start on assembling the wings.

53577038774_bb6c5c1571_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hope to get more done on those over the next few days.

John

• Like 9

There's no mistaking that it's a 727 now John :coolio:

However, you've given me a bad case of 'drawer-envy' (I could only afford one set of those!).  They're good though, aren't they.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 12:56, nimrod54 said:

Both of the fuselage halves have now been rescribed with the exception of the rudder area, I'll do that along with any areas that need further work one I have tidied the upper and lower joins up. I've also added some weight in the cockpit area -  hopefully there is enough in there to keep it on the undercarriage, if not the stand option will come into play.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 53575849112_2f0ba94a12_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

53577038629_9a83fe65e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

After leaving things overnight to set up I glued the two halves together. There was evidence of some warping when I was glueing them up and it took a combination of glues to get the halves together. Following some initial tidying, mainly to remove the super glue whilst it was still soft enough from the areas that I had used it, I have decided to leave the fuselage for a few days to set properly.

53576714621_a8b1bbb833_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Meanwhile I have made a start on assembling the wings.

53577038774_bb6c5c1571_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hope to get more done on those over the next few days.

John

Looks great John !!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are how things are since the last update. The fuselage has had a first pass of filling and sanding, I have to do some rescribing of panel lines after that work and the area around the cockpit window needs some attention.

53606092828_98fe87c432_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

53606092838_9070e4ba4f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The wings have been assembled and are ready for some clean up.

img

by John L, on Flickr

On 10/03/2024 at 06:07, CliffB said:

However, you've given me a bad case of 'drawer-envy' (I could only afford one set of those!).  They're good though, aren't they.

Better try and keep the rest of the set up out of shot then Cliff. :rofl: And I agree, they are good.

Cheers

John.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of progress made with this recently though I have got some primer on the fuselage which has highlighted the areas that need more work. Another round of filling, sanding and re-scribing ahead then.

53681924596_fedb41ae3c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have my final cycle of chemotherapy next week and there was some good news at my last clinic appointment. The tumour has shrunk, so things seem to be heading in the right direction at the moment.

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 6

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Not a lot of progress made with this recently though I have got some primer on the fuselage which has highlighted the areas that need more work. Another round of filling, sanding and re-scribing ahead then.

53681924596_fedb41ae3c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have my final cycle of chemotherapy next week and there was some good news at my last clinic appointment. The tumour has shrunk, so things seem to be heading in the right direction at the moment.

Cheers for now.

John

Thats always great news to hear, as someone that went through 3 rounds of Antibiotic chemo last year I wish you the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1