Which version of Opel Blitz bus is this?

bootneck

I have made enquiries into which type of bus is shown in the film "The Great Escape" and learned that it is an Opel Blitz. Further to my enquiries, I am trying to find out which specific version this Opel Blitz bus is, so that I can do a conversion of the front to match the film version.

spacer.png

I have bought a Roden Opel Blitz bus but the cab front looks to be an older version, without the rounded and split windscreen.  Also, the front door is an internal slide back version.

The nearest that I have found is this one; however, even this is different from the bus in the film.

spacer.png

Does anyone here know what the actual version that the bus in the film is?  I am trying to find a plan of it but without knowing its actual type, I can't seem to find anything.

cheers,
Mike

One possibility, if you can modify the sliding door, is to get a Mercedes radiator.  One is available in 1/72 in the PSC German truck set, which comes as a set of 3, with alternatives for the Mercedes or the Opel.  Tis is a bit of an expensive option, but they also do a "reinforcement set" which is one complete sprue, so you could nick the Merc radiator and still do a (somewhat simple) truck.  Sadly this is out of stock.  I did have the set so should have a spare Merc radiator, but am not certain where.  I'll have a dig around and try to find it, if you fancy that approach.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the correction John, I've looked again at the image and can just make out the vertical bar on the radiator; the Opel doesn't have that.

My model is a 1:35 scale Graham, so probably won't need to go to the expense of a 1:72 radiator.  I shall have a go at converting the kit one or scratchbuilding a new one.

Thanks again all,  :thumbsup:

Mike

Searching around doesn't seem to be showing any Mercedes O 3500 with the same windscreen and front window configuration, as that in the film version. I was hoping to find a few images, or even a plan, in order to work out where to make cuts or add filler etc.

Another query,  would those 1940s buses have planked or carpeted floors in the passenger section?

cheers,
Mike

5 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Searching around doesn't seem to be showing any Mercedes O 3500 with the same windscreen and front window configuration, as that in the film version. I was hoping to find a few images, or even a plan, in order to work out where to make cuts or add filler etc.

Another query,  would those 1940s buses have planked or carpeted floors in the passenger section?

cheers,
Mike

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you Mike, but something to bear in mind if German practice was anything like British, buses were manufactured by buying in rolling chassis and adding the coachwork on top, so the style of the windows and bodywork will fit a particular coachbuilder, and the front grille and bonnet will follow the chassis builder's style.

If the kit bodywork matches what you see in the photographs and you can get a Mercedes  grille as per @Graham Boak's suggestion that might be your best option.

Hi Dave,

the chassis is fine, it is the bodywork that is different.  As can be seen here, the Roden kit has a squared off windscreen

spacer.png

whereas the Mercedes bus has a rounded windscreen area with curved side windows.

spacer.png

I think my plan will have to be:  seal the kit's front side panel, the one with the jerrycan; build up that area with Milliput and then sculpt the curve around to the bonnet.  After that, cut out the corner and make up and insert some curved glazing.

cheers,
Mike

28 minutes ago, PeteH1969 said:

Was this the same type used in "Where Eagles Dare" ?

Petet

Hi Petet :giggle:

It does look similar.  Now you've given me another theme that I'll probably want to have a go at!! :elephant:

cheers,

Mike

• Haha 2

Miniart does a Mercedes truck in 1:35 scale with a similar front grill to the bus.  I could get that and take an impression for casting.  The motif should be easy enough to sand down.

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

The chassis would be Mercedes, and the body by a separate company so you could take the Opel bus body, remove the bonnet and put a Mercedes bonnet and grill on. To be correct you would use the Mercedes chassis, lengthened to fit under the bus body or just swap the Opel wheels for Mercedes ones.

• Like 1

Yes, I have found that the bus cab and window, in the area over the mudguards, needs to come out to the edge.  That's going to be quite bit of remodelling.

cheers,
Mike

I think that it is an post war bus like the 1/776 scale Atlas model: http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/ooc/atlaseditions/ccc15.htm

One big problem with the Roden Opel bus is that the roof slopes down at the front. I didn't like that when I build my civilian version of it but I let it pass and tried to make some other alterationd to get a mor civilian look of the bus: https://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/72/bus.html   (My model is the Roden 1/72 scale kit but I think that it is the same as the 1/35 version)

Hello Björn,

even that Atlas model is different.  The area that needs most modification is the curved window to the side of the windscreen.

spacer.png

To accommodate that window, I need to move the side panel out toward the edge of the mudguard. Then sand a curve around to blend with rest of the bonnet area.

cheers,
Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike, 

i am certain the body of this bus came from Auwärter, germany. The Mercedes O3500 chassis was introduced in 1949, earlier models had a flat grille, instead of the angled ones. 

https://www.bus-bild.de/bild/Bustypen~Historische+Busse~Mercedes-Benz/204588/mercedes-o-3500-mit-g-auwaerter-aufbau.html

regards

Florian