1:48 'SeaHarrier'- Tamiya FRS.1 - Falklands War -  Lt Cdr 'Sharky' Ward on HMS Invincible FAA 801 Squadron

Dear Fellow Modellers
My Nephew bought this for me for Xmas so i thought i'd impress him by building this as my first 2024 build. This was my second attempt at this very old 1971\1982 boxing Tamiya 'SHAR' kit. Some of the parts are awful.. The Nozzles !.. The Nozzles ! - but this is well documented so I won't bitch about this aspect too much here..

The First one, I made an utter and complete hash of and after using it as a paint mule until I binned it.. Well at least it got recycled and I learned some skills and tips that I put in to practice on this second one. Done pretty much 'OOB', I thought i'd go for a Falklands War inspired  Lt Cmd 'Sharky' Ward version on HMS Invincible FAA 801 Squadron.

I'm no expert on RN aircraft but I believe on the way 'down south' in 1982 the Sea Harriers were  painted overall in a Extra Dark Sea Grey. c/w black writing.. and modified Blue and Red only roundels? I went with the decals in the box as I didn't want to spend any extra money on this one. Some of them badly silvered.  

Anyway I do hope you enjoy it .. as it is.. with all it's imperfections and missing bits and possibly wrong decals. It's my tribute to 'Sharky' Ward. A true 'professional'
pilot in the best traditions of carrier born pilots. I've formed the impression he has a very human side to his character and never hated his enemy, Instead he saw his combat as machine against machine and was very happy that enemy pilots were able to survive. His job as a professional pilot was to remove the threat, a job he carried out as he was trained to do with great skill and fortitude. 

That it turned out as reasonable as it did is more luck than skill !  But apologies to any SHAR experts reading this post.. I did my best with this problematic kit.  I might post some more pics up later. 

Criticisms and comments always accepted !

Q. Dark Sea Grey? or EXTRA Dark Sea Grey?  what looks to be the most accurate? 

Regards, Andy 

20240219_131337

20240219_131414

20240219_131426

IMG_1089

20240219_131502

IMG_1091

IMG_1090

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
added additional photos
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to 1:48 'SeaHarrier'- Tamiya FRS.1 - Falklands War -  Lt Cmd 'Sharky' Ward on HMS Invincible FAA 801 Squadron
  • Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to 1:48 'SeaHarrier'- Tamiya FRS.1 - Falklands War -  Lt Cdr 'Sharky' Ward on HMS Invincible FAA 801 Squadron

You’re brave taking on that kit, we’ll done.

In terms of accuracy, on the way south the lower surface white was oversprayed EDSG on 801 NAS aircraft on HMS Invincible*, as were the underwing serials, with the white code numbers being overpainted roundel blue as we’re the white areas of the roundels. The vinyl fin markings and pilot’s names were also removed and those areas oversprayed EDSG. 

Now, the order the toning down was done in has never been clarified but it is likely that each plane was removed from the flying roster and completely toned down before returning to flying duties. A lot of training sorties were flown en route south.

*On HMS Hermes the toning down was done using 3ins or 4ins brushes, some of it on deck as the carrier approached Ascension.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Nick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, NG899 said:

Hope that helps clarify things.

Fantastic stuff Nick. Thank you for this additional info, I will at some point do another Shar a la Falklands War . Probably not this Tamiya kit though! 

As part of the toning down were all the warning markings overpainted? like the red lines on the area aft of the engine access? 

Good to know EDSG is the more accurate colour too!

Cheers, Andy

Love the SHAR, great job. You building one has made me want to build one now😃!

Edited by IIBSWAT
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IIBSWAT said:

Love the SHAR, great job. You building one has made me want to build one now😃!

Thanks! Can't say i'd particularly recommend this Tamiya kit though. A lot of flash and ill fitting parts.. 

• Like 1

It's turned out great, despite the things you and others have mentioned about the kit. I remember building this as a kid, but any pain in the build has been forgotten amid the sands of time! Quite fancy doing one of the newer Kinetic ones.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

It's turned out great, despite the things you and others have mentioned about the kit. I remember building this as a kid, but any pain in the build has been forgotten amid the sands of time! Quite fancy doing one of the newer Kinetic ones.

Thanks very much Woody

I had the most problems with the engine bay door and the nozzles.. and of course the cowls are all wrong - no slats!  but I agree with you- maybe do one of the better quality Kinetic kits, though they seem to be a pricey? I have to say for Tamiya this kit is the only exception to their astonishing quality and fit. I did the 1:48 Mosquito a while back and the wings didn't even need any filler! I painted them first and then just teased them in to place! 

I think this might be one of the best selling kits of all time, and I wonder how did what I did when I first saw it in a hobby shop: Tamiya? At that price? What can possibly go wrong with that? And then I walked out with one.

I know the Kinetic kit is the better model but I get the impression that's based on it's comparison with the Tamiya kit, which is its only competition for a 1/48 SHAR. I've read the Kinetic kit can be a demanding build too, but you do end up with something that's a better shape and has better detail.

Edited by kiseca
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kiseca said:

I think this might be one of the best selling kits of all time, and I wonder how did what I did when I first saw it in a hobby shop: Tamiya? At that price? What can possibly go wrong with that? And then I walked out with one.

I know the Kinetic kit is the better model but I get the impression that's based on it's comparison with the Tamiya kit, which is its only competition for a 1/48 SHAR. I've read the Kinetic kit can be a demanding build too, but you do end up with something that's a better shape and has better detail.

Don't forget the venerable Airfix kit too, generally regarded as at least a match for the Tamiya kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Don't forget the venerable Airfix kit too, generally regarded as at least a match for the Tamiya kit.

Thanks for that tip Ant. I've got the Revell 1:32 kit hanging about as well. I'm open to suggestions of course. Cheers, Andy

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Thank you, yes I forgot about the Airfix option!

57 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

50 odd years of it being in production, i think you're right there!

Yes indeed. That, and the anecdotal evidence that everybody seems to have had one in their stash at some point, though far fewer have had the patience to get it across the finish line.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiseca said:

though far fewer have had the patience to get it across the finish line.

maybe that makes me part of a special club. The 'Those traumatised by building the SHAR Tamiya 1:48 kit' Club 😃 

• Haha 1

Andy, When you do your next Falklands FRS1 drop me a PM with your email in it and I’ll send you some things to help you. As for the stencils being overpainted or not the best simple answer I can give you is “it depends”… on the airframe and which carrier it was on. 

Cheers 

Nick

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NG899 said:

Andy, When you do your next Falklands FRS1 drop me a PM with your email in it and I’ll send you some things to help you. As for the stencils being overpainted or not the best simple answer I can give you is “it depends”… on the airframe and which carrier it was on. 

Cheers 

Nick

Thank you Nick. I would very much appreciate that. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...