Airfix 1/72 TSR 2 XR220

Here's my attempt at Airfix's 1/72 TSR 2 XR220. currently one of only two surviving airframes. XR220 is currently residing at Cosford RAF Museum, with XR219 at Duxford. Both Aircraft being test aircraft have some minor differences. the most visible being the camera pods fitted to XR220 on it's intake sides and I believe XR219 doesn't have such prominent humps on the tail plane. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Construction pics
Decided that I was going to add some resin to this build so CMK's Bombay and Cockpit set was added.  New and old Bomb bay comparison.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Beginning to question my life choices of using a resin upgrade set. Having to thin the plastic a lot to get the CMK cockpit and Nose wheel bay in.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Postman wasn't to careful with the resin and some of the smaller parts didn't survive there trip. so out came the 3d printer and replacement parts drawn up and printed.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The supplied canopy with the Airfix kit probably scaled up to be nearly a foot thick so, CMK's Vacform and resin replacement was used.

spacer.png

After a lot of filling and sanding the planes almost ready for a rub down and decals. attempted to recreate the gold effect of the canopy by spraying the clear parts with a mix of Tamiya Clear Yellow and Smoke thinned 50/50. then dipped in Humbrol Clear to restore the clarity. And it was then onto the final step was to apply a panel line wash although the panel lines on this kit where very faint so ended up going over some areas with a very sharp graphite pencil.

spacer.pngspacer.png

In the end I have enjoyed building this kit, although in some areas it did have me questioning my life choices 🤣.

Edited by Richard JS
spelling mistake
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Richard JS said:

In the end I have enjoyed building this kit, although in some areas it did have me questioning my life choices 🤣

It’s always more enjoyable in the end if you do a little questioning of your life choices! Great work, and your effort has paid off

• Thanks 1

Good result from a not brilliant but not bad kit.  Good idea to replace the canopies as the originals are thick and don't fit well in the closed position, ditto the airbrakes.  It's XR222 at Duxford - XR219 was shot to pieces at Shoeburyness - maybe the world's most expensive target?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow! What a great end result, as the kit has some real fit and alignment issues., that you have managed to correct. Well done! It's hard to make an all white model that doesn't look like a toy or die cast  model, but you have pulled it off! :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2024 at 12:25, Richard JS said:

Here's my attempt at Airfix's 1/72 TSR 2 XR220. currently one of only two surviving airframes. XR220 is currently residing at Cosford RAF Museum, with XR219 at Duxford. Both Aircraft being test aircraft have some minor differences. the most visible being the camera pods fitted to XR220 on it's intake sides and I believe XR219 doesn't have such prominent humps on the tail plane. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Construction pics
Decided that I was going to add some resin to this build so CMK's Bombay and Cockpit set was added.  New and old Bomb bay comparison.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Beginning to question my life choices of using a resin upgrade set. Having to thin the plastic a lot to get the CMK cockpit and Nose wheel bay in.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Postman wasn't to careful with the resin and some of the smaller parts didn't survive there trip. so out came the 3d printer and replacement parts drawn up and printed.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The supplied canopy with the Airfix kit probably scaled up to be nearly a foot thick so, CMK's Vacform and resin replacement was used.

spacer.png

After a lot of filling and sanding the planes almost ready for a rub down and decals. attempted to recreate the gold effect of the canopy by spraying the clear parts with a mix of Tamiya Clear Yellow and Smoke thinned 50/50. then dipped in Humbrol Clear to restore the clarity. And it was then onto the final step was to apply a panel line wash although the panel lines on this kit where very faint so ended up going over some areas with a very sharp graphite pencil.

spacer.pngspacer.png

In the end I have enjoyed building this kit, although in some areas it did have me questioning my life choices 🤣.

"...

Construction pics
Decided that I was going to add some resin to this build so CMK's Bombay and Cockpit set was added.  New and old Bomb bay comparison..."

In fact modern resins are much better to accept more intrincated and details than the OLD plastic, yes, I know about injection molds, prices, so I really hope in near future, if Mr.Putin and "lula" allow this World to survive, we can have much more detailed and complete scale models.

Well, may be "I  was only dreaming" as the "Green green grass of home" sings, but I do believe in new technologies.

SouthViper