Any Greek language speakers? Greek Squadron Hurricane desert— plane in background of photo

28ZComeback

Good morning.  I am curious about this RAF Hurricane flown by Greek pilots in 1943. Can anyone identify the light gray-white plane in the background. Maybe a squadron 109 hack?  Secondly, is this a Hurricane IIC? Thank you very much. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Good morning.  I am curious about this RAF Hurricane flown by Greek pilots in 1943. Can anyone identify the light gray-white plane in the background. Maybe a squadron 109 hack?  Secondly, is this a Hurricane IIC? Thank you very much. 

spacer.png

I translated the whole page to English using Google translate. Open the page below 

https://www.aerodata.gr/biographies.php?id=78

And right click on the blue background that will give you the option to translate to English.

• Thanks 1

Hi there - To my eye, a Hurricane IIC and in the background it looks like a Beaufighter.  With Flat tailplanes it could be either a Mk I or an early Mk VI.  

Others will be able to add far more detail..........

• Thanks 1

My immediate thought was Baltimore as some operated in the coastal scheme. I haven't checked against Baltimore photos though, that's an exercise I'll leave for you 😃

• Thanks 1

I'm happy to stand corrected  😊 however I was looking at the pitot under the port wing.  As I re look, it seems particularly long, so I'll tag onto the Mk V. 

Happy to contribute.

Edited by Drop Bear
correction
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rossm said:

My immediate thought was Baltimore as some operated in the coastal scheme. I haven't checked against Baltimore photos though, that's an exercise I'll leave for you 😃

I'm a bit more awake now, the serial looks like BAnnn so checked my serial books and it's a Blenheim V

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what appears to be a Blenheim Mk.V as the port wing landing light and pitot tube position appear correct. My concern is that the aircraft appears to have a single strut tail wheel. Any photo that I have ever seen of a Mk.V show it to have a reinforced tail wheel with shock absorber. This was due to the necessity of stronger undercarriage as a result of the Mk.Vs weight increase. If this is a Mk.V, did some aircraft leave the factory with the single strut tail wheel which were then later upgraded, or not? Thoughts, anyone?

spacer.png

• Thanks 1