F-100D Nashville Sound

deltas

Good evening,

I have a question, is there a better photo of Nashville Sound? I have Caracal 72071 decals and two photos and a drawing from In Action. They say the serial is 55-2932 but according to joebaugher.com this machine crashed in 1959.

Is there a photo where serial CB/0-52932 can be seen, please? Or is it a mistake?

Caracal decal:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is indeed a mistake; I have checked this machine and can confirm its loss in the late '50s. 

However I think the correct candidate is F-100D-60-NA 56-2932, which I can confirm was assigned to 3rd TFW at Bien Hoa from 4510th CCTW at Luke AFB from 13 October 1968.

So the tail number should be "0-62932" rather than "0-52932".

Info above taken directly from the record card; 55-2932 is not recorded at all for the period 1962 thru 1969, further confirming its loss prior to that date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't there a change in presentation along the line, to "FY + last three", making this "56-932", with small FY and large last three? And was the "0" used at all when the FY was presented - after all, there was no need to (as the FY was clear about the plane being "O"bsolete or more than 1"0" years old)?

Edited by tempestfan
Shpelling :-)

Well it's either "zero"-56-932 or "zero"-62-932. The "zero" never meant "obsolete". Aircraft 20 years plus sometimes gained a second "zero" to show that they were entering their third decade. In this instance (photo taken post-1966) the zero shows that "62932" is a 56-FY machine rather than a 66-FY one. Some C-47s gained a second zero to show that their "2xxxx" tail number wasn't 52-FY or 62-FY. I've never seen three zeroes but by the time C-47s reached that age, the FY was being represented in full on the tail and so the 'zero' was unnecessary. 

Depending on date, someone should be able to advise whether a circa 1968 photo would show a scheme with the FY in full or not.

Also if someone has a photo of this aircraft (not a scan from a book or magazine) it might help with clarity and absence of extraneous image artefacts.

It was most likely 0-62-932. PACAF presented the serial numbers differently, for some reason. Where USAFE and CONUS put the fiscal year under the small AF, PACAF used the last digit of the year and the last 4 of the serial number. I can’t find exactly when PACAF changed to be the same as the rest of the USAF, but the practice continued into the ‘70s. A quick google search turned up photos of 3rd TFW F-4Es from 1978-79 still with the PACAF version of the serial number.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 1

One more question, Caracal Models CD72071 has option 2 : 56-3053 El Viejo Cazador, 510th TFS. Does anyone have a photo but don't know where to look?

I only found one photo of 56-3053, 510th TFS, that didn't help..., Miss Pamela Jean... 😃

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi Finn, thanks for the tip, but I've already looked and only found the photos on 56-3053 Miss Pamela Jean,but El Viejo Cazador with purple fin tip nowhere.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by deltas