Gloster Javelin (Airfix 1:48)

Tested these two this morning and I've opted for the Ammo. I've also decided that as the primer went down so well, I'm changing course and going for the 'non-camo' scheme :wonder:

53576526778_26ddf3e630_k.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'm changing course and going for the 'non-camo' scheme :wonder:

Oh nice, that is going to look super! Beautiful base, very clean build under that primer.

• Like 1

Superb, what a lovely Javelin so far. You can’t go wrong whatever scheme you choose, but it’s nice to see this in the less ubiquitous High Speed Silver. Fits well with the theme of the group build.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karearea said:

Superb, what a lovely Javelin so far. You can’t go wrong whatever scheme you choose, but it’s nice to see this in the less ubiquitous High Speed Silver. Fits well with the theme of the group build.

Thank you :happy: There’s so much detail to be highlighted with pin washing, it seemed a shame for it not to be displayed so clearly; hence the silver finish. I’m hoping the bet pays off 🤞

• Like 1

Found the first, but now probably the only, flaw in the kit. The upper roundels come with holes for the vanes, but not the other bits sticking up from the wing. This lead to cracking, which led to phaffing. Oh well, hoping the weathering will cover it up :fingerscrossed:

53591205164_2871f01594_k.jpg

53591333020_78526e078c_k.jpg

• Like 10

@wimbledon99 the "other bits sticking up from the wing" are the stall warning vanes and their guards: Airfix haven't quite got them right for a parked Javelin, or one in controlled flight for that matter.  From memory the vanes lay flat between the guards under most circumstances: as the Javelin approached the stall and the airflow began to break away from the wing upper surface the vanes would pivot about their leading edges, breaking an electrical circuit, illuminating a warning light and setting off an aural alarm in the cockpit.  On my next Airfix Javelin I'll make a tape template of the vanes and guards before removing them, applying the roundels and then reinstating guards and vanes using PVA and the template to get them back in the rigtt(ish) place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So I could have removed them?? So annoying. I checked the instructions three times to see if I missed something. Hey ho, it’s just a hobby!! Once built, it will collect dust for a couple of years before being recycled 😔

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:22 PM, wimbledon99 said:

So I could have removed them?? So annoying. I checked the instructions three times to see if I missed something. Hey ho, it’s just a hobby!! Once built, it will collect dust for a couple of years before being recycled 😔

Personal choice.  I wrecked a set of roundels trying to get them over the stall-warning vanes and guards (SWS) and I've been wracking my brain cell for an "easy" way to avoid repeating the experience ever since.  Using a template to locate them (use a known pair of vortex generators or skin joints as your fixed points to locate the SWS bits), removing them, applying the roundels then using the template and PVA to reinstate the SWS bits in just about the right place seems to be least likely to result in roundel wrecking.  Others may know differently/better.  If you're going to tape the template to the wing it's probably best to leave applying stencils 'til afterwards.  HTH.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Personal choice.  I wrecked a set of roundels trying to get them over the stall-warning vanes and guards (SWS) and I've been wracking my brain cell for an "easy" way to avoid repeating the experience ever since.  Using a template to locate them (use a known pair of vortex generators or skin joints as your fixed points to locate the SWS bits), removing them, applying the roundels then using the template and PVA to reinstate the SWS bits in just about the right place seems to be least likely to result in roundel wrecking.  Others may know differently/better.  If you're going to tape the template to the wing it's probably best to leave applying stencils 'til afterwards.  HTH.

If I ever built another, I'd just cut them off   :wink:

Shame Airfix didn't include them as separate parts as we'd have a choice; and an easier time with the decals :wonder:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Respect!

Thanks Cliff  :laugh:  Decals on most kits after this one will be a doddle!! I'm on the home straight and hope to complete them this weekend 🤞

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats looking quite good. 

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

This one will need to be displayed on a mirror for sure :coolio:

Thank you, I have to admit to being happy with the outcome :happy:

Re. displaying, it will end up in corner of my office, with others that are never seen by eyes other than my own. I might even put it on eBay for collection. I stuck a 1:48 CH-46 and 1:32 Beaufighter there at the weekend as it seemed a shame to put them in the ‘Green Bin’. 

• Like 2

Final assembly now complete. I'll get some better pictures sorted for the gallery but here a a few for now. The bottom one has reminded me to fix the nozzles in place ! :laugh:

Thanks to Cliff @CliffB and Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle for hosting; and thanks to all who kept me company

Cheers

Nigel

53611619155_09f5844768_k.jpg

53611381113_0d6d0f869a_k.jpg

53611619170_42715f752a_k.jpg

53611407973_67ce02dc5f_k.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done on this, I never wanted to build on but now I might because it’s in high speed silver. 

Thanks Dennis  :happy:  This is such a pleasant build; but remember to remove the SWS vanes :wink:

• Like 1