The Sole Guernsey Jet: Embraer E195 'Aurigny'

c6bf8005e6bbd39cd3554616a80b95b8.jpg

Aurigny Air Services is the airline of Guernsey, Channel Islands. It was founded in 1968 and originally operated on just one route between Alderney en Guernsey, using Britten Norman Islanders and Trislanders. Aurigny is the French and Guernésiain* name for the island of Alderney. 

*PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong! I'm most intrigued by these interesting rare languages. 

Aurigny currently operates a small fleet of turboprops: three ATR-72's and two Dornier 228NG's. In 2014, Aurigny added their first turbofan powered airliner to their fleet: a brand new Brazilian built Embraer E195. However, last November, Aurigny announced to put their Jungle Jet up for sale, as operating a single aircraft of this type did not outweigh the costs.     

For this model, I used the very nice Revell 1:144 kit. My example came from one of the first batches (Air Dolomiti box) and there were quite a lot of nasty sink marks on the wings, engines and flap track fairings. On my Revell E190, which is the same kit with a shorter fuselage, these sink marks are far less prominent. I do not have a later issued E195 to compare it to, but I hope the issue was fixed on the E195 as well. 

For the livery, I used an outstanding 26Decals screen printed set, which seems to have been sold out for a while now. Nowadays, there's a lot of people in the airliner decal business, and a large part of them use laser printers. While I definitely think laser printers are useful, I often buy laser printed sets which are just... not it. Especially on special liveries like these, with special prints or photos like the puffin on this one, laser prints just look too bland or blurry. This 26 set was screen printed instead of lasered, ensuring very nice colour coverage and a nice, sharp and most of all cute puffin for the tail. Props to 26!  

ec40235f1eb3513b394f502a25ee5768.jpg

Since airbrushing really is my weak point in scale modeling, the soft edge between yellow and white was quite a challenge. I think I pulled it off quite OK, though :) 

2b64b15be81069401576738a091eb374.jpg

fc0e1731a58c056bce46cb92854a28ad.jpg

42cf20bc92d6b6defa9649841c1b69f6.jpg

bfaac41e036cb4432d0a665bec3b6848.jpg

77931e82546f0c213be58fc19858744c.jpg

Greets,

Jelle

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman
  • Like 45

Hi Flying Dutch man,

A great model, well done on the soft yellow edge, seeing your model brings back memories of watching there Trislanders at Southampton Airport.

Many thanks. 

Edited by Way Out
Spelling.
  • Like 1

Hi Jelle,

Yes I'd say you definitely pulled it off quite ok!

It's a lovely, unusual and colourful airliner a pity they're selling it off and not buying more!

Really enjoying your current uploads to RFI, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Really enjoying your current uploads to RFI, keep up the good work!

Thank you very much!! I've got a few more, I built all of these over the course of 2022-2024. I wrote WIP threads on a Dutch forum (Modelbrouwers.nl) but I'll show them here as well.