77th FBS 20th FBW Wethersfield Commanders Streak

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Looking great Martin. Love the cockpits. Good work.

Stuart

Thanks mate! 👍 I really should post some progress on this. Got it primed up, just needs some aluminum paint on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I really should post some progress on this

So, Martin, you should ;) 😂

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 7:36 AM, RidgeRunner said:

So, Martin, you should ;) 😂

Haha! Some of us are retired! My one & only day off tomorrow & I'd rather be out & also watching Dune at the Cinema! Oh & I think I've got too much on the go what with a certain Tiger 1 tank. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Retired??? Moi??? 

I am. 3 hours in the cave this morning, and Dune Pt 2 this afternoon & I'll most probably have another bash in the cave when the Mrs goes to bed. Hard work this retirement melarky.

Stuart

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Retired??? Moi??? 

OK just like me then, I shouldn't complain. Should be better at organising my time - and have less models on the go at any one time! 😁

46 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I am. 3 hours in the cave this morning, and Dune Pt 2 this afternoon & I'll most probably have another bash in the cave when the Mrs goes to bed. Hard work this retirement melarky.

Stuart

So roughly four hours a day modelling time? You'll wear your eyes out! 😆🤓

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while! I've just finished a stripey german monster tank, check it out soon in the diorama section but here's some progress pics.

All parts & airframes primed with Ammo MiG black One Shot, polished then covered in Ammo MiG "A-Stand" metallic lacquer which is apparently the newly bottled Alclad II. The same guys were selling this new range of Ammo Mig paint that used to market Alclad. Anyway I've gone for their straight Aluminium A.mig2300.

53617587731_b60b444989_b.jpg

The air brakes have been masked & sprayed with Alclad chrome.

The exhaust area was masked & oversprayed with Vallejo Metal Color dark aluminium.

53617587921_621b5b4269_b.jpg

Thunderstreak cocktail party!

53618034045_0068892d60_b.jpg

Aluminium on pylons on sticks...

53617588321_a364a1e392_b.jpg

And these are the Airwaves Air Brakes for the Airfix kit which are going to be used on the Sword kit. Gloss black lacquer primer & Alclad chrome.

53618034255_39ff9ecb90_b.jpg

• Like 4

Nice NMF, Martin. Are you planning chrome steel on the cannon surround? Also the LE wing roots had a “chrome” panel. Another thing I have picked up is that the lower 30%(ish) of the inner pylons was a darker NMF. I also plan to give the panel on each side of the nose, below the cannon ports, a blast of white aluminium or something similar. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice NMF, Martin. Are you planning chrome steel on the cannon surround? Also the LE wing roots had a “chrome” panel. Another thing I have picked up is that the lower 30%(ish) of the inner pylons was a darker NMF. I also plan to give the panel on each side of the nose, below the cannon ports, a blast of white aluminium or something similar. 

Not around the nose cannons as there's going to be either red decal or masked paint around that. I've done a dark aluminium around the wing root cannons. The next job will be masking up certain panels, then the other generic bits like the olive drab on the nose, red markings on the wing roots & the light grey in the top of the tail fin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

The twins are coming along splendidly.

Many thanks! Next stage, to replace decals with masked markings. Found that the Microscale decals I've got are too big to fit the model! 😬

Since this is going to have a full load, I've started to make up the JATO cradle. Thanks to RidgeRunner for some help with this. In 1/72 suprised at how small it is, as it fits in the underside space between the fuselage airbrakes.

I didn't have any channel strip plastic to hand so had to fashion some very small parts!

Likely will have to make a few of these, unless some clever person can 3D print something! Hint hint! 😉

53629423287_03186ed598_b.jpg

53630311501_eb08850ced_b.jpg

53630311526_1c19a766db_b.jpg

53630311756_e48edf5752_b.jpg

53630649319_ce87c5b67b_b.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Since this is going to have a full load, I've started to make up the JATO cradle. Thanks to RidgeRunner for some help with this. In 1/72 suprised at how small it is, as it fits in the underside space between the fuselage airbrakes.

I didn't have any channel strip plastic to hand so had to fashion some very small parts!

Likely will have to make a few of these, unless some clever person can 3D print something! Hint hint! 😉

53629423287_03186ed598_b.jpg

53630311501_eb08850ced_b.jpg

53630311526_1c19a766db_b.jpg

53630649319_ce87c5b67b_b.jpg

I’m getting de ja vu, Martin! ;). Great work on that :)

Nice to hear that you've left that 'target' behind and getting on with this. Lovely paint job. Would be nice to see something of scale with that RATO part...

Stuart

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Nice to hear that you've left that 'target' behind and getting on with this. Lovely paint job. Would be nice to see something of scale with that RATO part...

Stuart

It was definitely a relief to get that monster finished. I'll make further progress with this Sunday thanks Stuart. 

• Like 2

Still plodding along with this!

Today I actually completed the JATO cradle & bottles, undecided wether I will make any more for the other builds. If I do make some more, then someone will likely start selling them as resin or 3d printed items!

53638634701_5a5d012ab0_b.jpg

53637750582_f52c1e21c7_b.jpg

I might leave the bottles in that primer grey colour.

53638970229_ba0bdbe917_b.jpg

Then started on these Special Hobby decals. I thought they were quite thin but manageable. Horror of horrors, & same old story - I find that the stars & bars have been printed in a garish light blue which looks completely wrong, plus the red on the decals looks quite dull. I had to mask up the red around the tail pipe as the decal wouldn't conform, so I ended up masking & painting that. I now wish I had masked up the red for the nose. I'm also waiting for some black pin stripe decals from Fantasy Printshop that are taking their time getting to me, so I can edge the masked paint work.

To replace the stars & bars with something more realistic, i've risked using the old Microscale decals from their Thunderstreak sheet. I could tell that they were itching to break up on me but miraculously they went on fine.

53639091420_feb29e490f_b.jpg

53637749892_a50d3abe5d_b.jpg

Had enough of that today, will make a little more progress during the week if & when I find the time!

• Like 4

That's the decals completed for 52-6570. Need to touch up the paint on the landing gear, then apply a gloss coat before a light pin wash.

Also noticed something missing from the decal sheet. The triangle warning sign below the canopy on the port side which I'll hopefully be able to use from the Microscale sheet.

53646092003_1bf00ab53f_b.jpg

• Like 4

Well done for the JATO cradle and bottles.

I did not want to go for the boxart scheme but it sure looks the part. Food for thought...

I had not noticed the colour discrepancy on the stars and bars. I will cut some masks, then.

10 minutes ago, SebTartar said:

Well done for the JATO cradle and bottles.

I did not want to go for the boxart scheme but it sure looks the part. Food for thought...

I had not noticed the colour discrepancy on the stars and bars. I will cut some masks, then.

Just received some replacement stars in the post. May have to scratch another JATO set as well. 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Just received some replacement stars in the post. May have to scratch another JATO set as well. 😉

You did so well with the first set, the second will take half the time.😁

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...