1/32 - Macchi C.200 Saetta (new tool) by Italeri - box art - release in 2024

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Macchi C.200 Saetta (new tool) by Italeri - box art - release in 2024

Fantastic news! Always likd the Mc 200 so this will be a definite purchase for me. Regretting selling my PCM kit didn't help either. 

Good news!

I was expecting an early Folgore or Veltro first, never mind. PCM kits are turning up at eBay...

Lots of aftermarket here already (almost). Aircraft in Pixels...

Edited by Tomas Enerdal

41 minutes ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Lots of aftermarket here already (almost). Aircraft in Pixels...

I wonder why aftermarket items are considered as god-sent and why nobody questions their accuracy? 🤔

Edited by quangster
  • Like 2

Often (not always, mind) an aftermarket item is an improvement over kit parts. If nothing else because the medium, be it etched brass, resin, 3D-printed, allows more and finer detail. Often it is designed by an enthusiast who puts a lot of effort into research, not seldom is an aftermarket item researched, designed and produced in order to offer a more accurate alternative than the kit parts.

I know examples where aftermarket designers show early drafts to modelling friends and people with knowledge, in order to get early feedback with regards to accuracy.

And I have seen aftermarket parts criticized because of sloppy research and lack of accuracy, also here on Britmodeller.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Often it is designed by an enthusiast who puts a lot of effort into research, not seldom is an aftermarket item researched, designed and produced in order to offer a more accurate alternative than the kit parts.

You cannot deny that sometimes it’s only because someone just wants to make a fast buck. 😜

• Like 2

Not denying at all.

And unfortunately you're right. But as usual there is a wide spectrum; from the enthusiast who just wants to improve accuracy and/or detail, to the cheater who just barely modify the kit part in order to rip you off and make a quick buck.

To some companies it's a way of business, they live on it. But it doesn't mean that the detail is not improved and/or the item isn't more accurate. It can also be a matter of skill; you need to be a good pattern maker, by hand or CAD. And it takes skill to do proper research. Perhaps a sense of shape and form, to interpret old pics when there's no original drawing available.

Personally I'm more often pleased with the result than disappointed. So I spend too much on aftermarket items, really...

Edited by Tomas Enerdal
spelling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

to the cheater who just barely modify the kit part in order to rip you off and make a quick buck

At least he will change something. I've seen a few times sets that were literally copies of parts from the kit. Fitted very well, emptied wallets even better, but in return added nothing to the model.