Stuka - the hard way

I've done a 1:48 Stuka a while a go but I wanted to do one in my preferred scale which is 1:72. And I specifically wanted to do the 'cannon bird' with the big underwing mounted cannons.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28346&authk

So let's get a kit (Academy in this case) and build it - and we're done. Easy, right?

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28348&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28347&authk

Simple 1:72 kit with couple of sprues. How hard can it be?

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28350&authk

Maybe get a mask set, that will make things even easier.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28349&authk

So we get few extras to correct or spruce things up. Okay it might complicate things a bit...

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28351&authk

...oh right so we start to hack'n'slash the fuselage in pieces and carve out the existing cockpit details and install a new one - which I guarantee will not fit - and build up new cannons from a random pile of super thin resin bits and throw in some metal barrels just in case. I'm not sure yet but this might be the hard part of the build. 😬

Oh and the best part, deadline is 24th of February, hoping to attend a modelling show with this build.

Oh and I still have to get some decals,

Wish me luck!:yikes:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, François Escudé said:

Hi Reini, amazing for me as I have exactly the same elements you're showing !! Will follow your build with more than interest ...😀

whish  you all the best of course ! 

François 

Cool :cool: Thank you!

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28352&authk

This is the pile of plastic that I will be replacing...

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28354&authk

...with this pile of resin, PE & plastic film.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28353&authk

It is encouraging that the floor slotted right in. If I would have wanted, I could have used just the floor with no modifications. 

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28356&authk

But I wanted the side panels too of course so some plastic scraping, sanding & sawing ensued.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28357&authk

It's not perfect yet but it's getting pretty close :) Still need to thin the side panels down a bit to get a nicer fit. But in general, everything closes down so there are enough room for the parts. Have not test fitted the instrument panel yet.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28355&authk

I need to adjust the side panels a bit, they are bit high on the back.

• Like 11

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28400&authk

Drilling out the... well, I'm not quite sure what this is? Somekind of antenna? It will be under glass just behind canopy. I've seen other Luftwaffe planes with similar contraption, He 219 for example.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28399&authk

Gluing down the cockpit side panels with superglue. The fit was good, I just needed to sand out little bit from the cockpit floor so it sits down a little bit lower than initially - then the side panels line up nicely.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28398&authk

We can start adding the details.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28401&authk

Like these rudder pedals. I mean what. 1/72 scale rudder pedals which you build out of seven parts of resin & folded PE. Yeah I'm gonna do it (try it atleast!) but I have a feeling I'm not gonna like it... :yikes:

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28402&authk

That will have to wait until next time, though. This is where I am at. I was kinda hoping to get the primer on but still plenty of PE work to do. Pedals, instrument panel, lots of tiny levers, seatbelts & back seat. Oh, and the machine gun with PE sights and all!

• Like 2

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28440&authk

Okay, the rudder pedals. They come with a separate link arm or something and a nice resin axle. Too bad that the axle is just too big and the PE parts wont fit into it 😶

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28439&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28445&authk

I got simplified version of the pedals done, just barely. I left out some PE parts and replaced the axle with a styrene rod. They are bit wonky but they will do... I was pretty close at squishing the whole setup under my thumb :D

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28438&authk

But seriously. This is just silly? Who on earth will put all those levers inside the cockpit? That is just crazy stuff.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28442&authk

I just threw in couple of levers so that it will look that it has something. But I have no confidence that they will stay there during the painting process.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28443&authk

Seats are done too.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28444&authk

So is rest of the cockpit.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28441&authk

Just need the gun now but I noticed that I was missing barrels... :yikes: Ugh. I will sort it out later and prime the cockpit.

• Like 6