Pacific Coast Models Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario

This is my 5th PCM kit build and the fourth in a row PCM builds, it's been a journey back to basic model building as they sure aren't Tamiya.

However when they came out they were a revelation, great subjects some have never been brought out since by other manufactures, resin parts, PE, great big decal sheets and multiple choice of varients, so they do deserve to be built.

This was built at my usual glacial pace, it took a year, here is the build thread.

I was aided in this build by a fantastic build over on LSP by "alaninaustria" which I used as my reference and some helpful informatrion and advice over on the Stormo website.

A bit of history on the Re.2005:

The Re.2005 it was one of the three Series 5 aircraft, all being powered by a licence built DB-605 engine, the Fiat RC 58 Tifone 1,475hp engine.

The three fighters were the Macchi C.205V Veltro, Fiat G.55 Centauro and Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario, none of which were built in large numbers but they were all very capable aircraft.

I found some notes on the operational use of the Re2005 on the internet.

In May of 1943, the first Sagittarios entered service with the Regia Aeronautica. The first prototype and several of the zero series aircraft were used operationally by the 362a Squadriglia, 22o Gruppo at Naples-Capodichino starting in May 1943, being used to defend Rome and Naples.

The squadron had developed a rather daring method of attacking Allied B-17s which involved diving head-on with all guns blazing, then flipping the aircraft over on its back and diving away at the last minute.

The Reggiane had good behaviour in close dogfight and , according to General Minguzzi, who flew both Re 2005 and Spitfire, was even better than the Spit in tight turns and handling.

The operative life of the Sagittario was concluded by the Armistice , that came in the September 1943.

Sadly there are no surviving Re2005’s, just an aft fuselage section and limited photos and information.

This was one of my main reference books.

There is very little AM for the kit, and no paint masks which I prefer to decals, however I did use the Montex paint masks designed for the C202 for the national markings as they were the same size and design.

spacer.png

And here she is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here she is with two other PCM kits

spacer.png

And another PCM build the Fiat G.55 Centauro with a saggy aerial wire that was elasticated once upon a time.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 28

41 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Reggiane Re2005!

Saluti

Giampierro

Thank you Giampiero, that is special coming from an expert in the Italian Air Force.

Cheers

Dennis

32 minutes ago, Mynimal said:

One of the best Italian figther.

Well done.

16 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Very nice 👍

Thank you guys, a very beautiful aircraft, it does look like a racing machine to me, very sleek.

Cheers

Dennis

Perfect timing, with your last comment.  I was catching up with your WiP just yesterday (I think!)  You did a nice job, and lovely paint work, but this airframe just wants to be Ferrari red to me... that's how I plan to do my 48th one.

bob

• Like 1

Great job on the 2005.  I like Pacific Coast models for their oft times unique aircraft, but sometimes the build can be difficult as to fit.  Your finished build indicates any problems you had you found a way around them as your model looks superb.  The finish is also well done.  Thanks for sharing.

19 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Perfect timing, with your last comment.  I was catching up with your WiP just yesterday (I think!)  You did a nice job, and lovely paint work, but this airframe just wants to be Ferrari red to me... that's how I plan to do my 48th one.

bob

Thank you Bob, I can see the Ferrari link and an all red Re2005 would certainly look very fast.

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work Dennis, looks fantastic,  great group photos too.

Chris

Thank you Chris I'm glad you liked them, I have more PCM kits in the stash but I think a Trumpeter or Hasegawa is called for now.

4 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Great job on the 2005.  I like Pacific Coast models for their oft times unique aircraft, but sometimes the build can be difficult as to fit.  Your finished build indicates any problems you had you found a way around them as your model looks superb.  The finish is also well done.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the nice words, the PCM kits do take you back to basic modelling, which after a steady diet of more modern kits is a bit of a shock, but they do scrub up well.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Remus389 said:

Looks perfect! 👌🙂

Thank you very much Remus, from a dodgy begining it turned out really nice.

Cheers

Dennis