B-25C/D Mitchell***Finished***

PeterB

This will be my third build for the GB - I have another two possibles but that depends on how things go as I will probably be involved in one or more GB at the same time.

DSC09366-crop

Ok, I know this has a lot more parts but the box is enormous - at least 3 times the volume of the boxes for the original Airfix B-25 and the Frog one, though in fairness it is quite full.

As I mentioned elsewhere I pre-ordered it when first Airfix announced the release so it is the first boxing and I am not altogether happy with the two colour schemes offered. As I will be doing the old Frog one in RAF markings this will almost certainly be a US one, and as it seems they preferred the B-26 for Western Europe then I suppose it will have to be something appropriate to the Western Desert or Italy unless I go for the Far East., so I will have to have a think about that. Airfix have subsequently reboxed it as an RAF Mitchell II, a B-25B, and another desert version, and looking at the parts breakdown I suspect one of the later versions may be on the cards.

Pete

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

So, time at last to make a start on this. Here are the sprues.

DSC09552 DSC09554

I will be building this alongside an ancient Frog Mitchell and using the newer version as a template for some improvements so the two may appear together in the pics from time to time.

Pete

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Beard said:

If you want some RAF stickers, I've got the DK sheet and won't be using all of them.

Thanks,

I may get back to you later.

Pete

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have made a start by painting up the interior and then assembling the front end.

The fuselage has a large aperture in each side which are supposed to be filled-in late in the construction by adding the transparent parts from the outside. Airfix clearly designed the moulding to allow for more than one version to be produced, in this case the original boxing being for the B-25 C/D models but then they issued a B-25 B. This had a slightly different arrangement to the windows behind the wing so the engineering allowed for different inserts instead of a complete replacement fuselage. There are already alternative engine cowlings on the sprues as well as a blanking plate for the lower gun turret. I decided it would be easier to do any filling that might be needed now rather when the kit is nearly complete so I added the inserts straight away and then painted carefully around the actual windows with the interior colour.

DSC09582-crop

I then assembled the interior which is in 2 levels.

DSC09576-crop DSC09577-crop DSC09580-crop

I used the decs provided for the IP.

The rear section will be on top of one of the access hatches/doors which can be modelled either open or closed - I will be doing it closed, likewise the bomb doors so I don't need to fit the bomb bay interior/bombs. The instructions say that I need to get 25g of ballast in the nose which will have to go in the wheel well - fortunately the main doors are closed when on the ground otherwise it would be a really tight squeeze. As with most if not all of the more recent Airfix kits tolerances are very tight so paint has to be removed from joining surfaces and frequent dry fits are essential.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 7

I've was toying with doing an Italeri one as part of this GB but was wondering where I'd hide the noseweight so it's handy to know that the nosewheel door is closed on the ground.

11 minutes ago, Beard said:

I've was toying with doing an Italeri one as part of this GB but was wondering where I'd hide the noseweight so it's handy to know that the nosewheel door is closed on the ground.

Even so I only managed to get about 10g in the wheel bay, and a further 8g stuffed in the access tunnel running from the entry hatch to the nose compartment, so I had to put the rest in the area behind the cockpit - good job I was intending to have the access hatch closed!  I assume Airfix are right about the 25g - it does seem quite a lot to fit in using my normal lead window strip. Time will tell!

Pete

• Thanks 1

Next I added the bulkheads with the wing spars on and the bomb bay roof,, together with the insert for the ventral gun.

DSC09584-crop

Then I glued the fuselage together.

DSC09586-crop

And when that was dry I added the closed bomb doors and entry hatch doors.

DSC09592-crop

The fit is pretty good though I did have to use a clamp to push the fuselage bottom in slightly to meet the bomb doors. I will add a touch of filler later.

So far, so good.

Pete

• Like 13

That's looking good, Pete. Is there some space to slip some weight in the front of the nacelles if it's needed later?

James

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's looking good, Pete. Is there some space to slip some weight in the front of the nacelles if it's needed later?

James

Hi James,

No a lot! Hopefully I won't need to as I have got 26g in eventually though some of it is not as far forward as I would like - we will see!😄

Pete

I got the tail on.

DSC09600-crop

Not a bad fit but it will need a little filler as will one or two other bits.

Pete

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

This is almost exactly the same post as the one in my Frog Mitchell thread.

I had a go at sorting out the various joints and then added the wings. The Airfix ones fitted almost perfectly but the Frog ones needed a bit of packing on one side. The wing is a bit unusual as there is pronounced dihedral between the fuselage and engine, but then there is a slight anhedral outboard so the wings appear to droop slightly. The Airfix one is still missing the flaps and ailerons at this stage. Once they were dry I did a bit more filling then masked the kits up ready for a spray of primer.

DSC09608-crop

I then gave them a blast of Halfords grey plastic primer. I have seen recently on one of the current GB that somebody was having problems with Halfords primer but I wonder if they were using the normal variety which is meant for the metal part of car bodies - I have been using their acrylic plastic primer for several years and have so far had no difficulties.

DSC09610-crop

I will have to do a little more work on the joint behind the cockpit as both of them are slightly "dished" but otherwise they look pretty good. Once that is sorted I can make a start on the engine nacelles.

One thing that puzzles me slightly - Airfix have moulded the de-icing strips on the leading edges, but the two versions in this boxing do not have them painted black. Looking at photos it seems most if not all RAF versions had black de-icing boots but only some US versions have them. I suppose they could be there and were overpainted in camo paint, or maybe the did not think they needed them in North Africa or when flying anti-sub ops off the US seaboard? Then again the illustrations on my Xtradecal sheet for desert Mitchells seem to show the black boots, rightly or wrongly - anybody out there have any info on this?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 11

Those are both looking good, Pete. I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the de-icing boots

James

• Like 1

My frog build has suddenly raced ahead so I thought I had better try and catch up with this one so I made a start on the undercarriage and engines.

The first stage was to glue the main legs onto the wing underside, checking the alignment with the outer part of the nacelles. I then glued the two nacelle halves together for each side, added the separate section which comes in two versions in the box, on which more shortly, and then the front end, and tried a dry fit. As the balance looked a bit marginal I added a couple of grams of lead inside the front of each cowling.

DSC09635-crop

Once the assemblies were dry I glued them in place. The fit was pretty good.

DSC09637-crop

I then added the flaps, selecting the flaps up.

DSC09639-crop

The cylinders and cowlings came next and the kit contains parts for both early and late versions. Apparently, according to my Squadron/Signal books, The B-25 A, B, and early C versions had exhaust collector rings connected to just one large exhaust. the cowlings themselves being smooth. Then, part way through B-25C production a switch was made to individual exhausts in the cowling itself - the so called Clayton "S" stack system. This was more efficient, weighed nearly 60lb less for each engine but was nosier than the earlier system and was supposed to be fitted to all subsequent models, though problems were experienced with the upper stacks breaking so some planes had a collector fitted for those stacks leading to a single exhaust, and some actually had two collectors fitted - one upper and one lower and had two exhausts - apparently. The kit comes with 4 cowlings, 2 optional panels for the nacelle (one plain and one with a big exhaust), and two stets of 2 cowling cooling flaps.

DSC09641-crop

On the right are the early cowlings and exhaust panels - I am using the ones on the left which come with the rear set of 7 exhaust fairings moulded on but you have to add the forward ones yourself which is a fiddle - Airfix actually provide a couple of spares but I managed to avoid feeding the carpet monster. Once everything was dry I inserted the cylinders into the cowlings - aligning them was slightly vague but I thing I got it right. I then added the correct pair of cooling flap rings, and added the assemblies to the nacelle fronts. The fit was not very positive and there was a bit of a gap where the cooling flaps meet the intake at the top of the nacelle but it was easy enough to fill. Once the cowlings were on I added the nose leg. Again the location was a bit vague but then it seemed to find the correct place and slotted in.

I will now get some primer on to see what if anything needs to be worked on, and add the wheels.

Pete

• Like 10

The model has now reached the stage where it is ready for painting.

DSC09648-crop

This original boxing comes with two optional schemes - the one on the box art is a B-25D retained in the US for anti submarine work and painted in OD over white. The other is a B-25C in desert pink over neutral gray, but as it was on its return to the US for a promotional tour, and the nose art is not to my taste as I am unsure if it was as applied during combat or maybe somewhat "enhanced" for publicity purposes. The USAAF did not use the Mitchell in the ETO, but it was used in the MTO so could be seen in either a desert scheme or the more normal OD over Neutral Gray in Italy. I have an Xtradecal sheet which has several desert options but with 3 choices of camo - Sand over Neutral Gray, Sand over Azure Blue, and Sand with OD over Neutral Gray, and I think I will go for the sand/blue combination - either "Pink Petunia" or "OH-7".

Pete

• Like 10