Messeschmitt Bf. 109F-4 - Egypt 1942 - FINISHED!

RainierHooker

Hello all,

I have had a soft spot for the aircraft of the North Africa Campaign, and its been far too long since I've dipped my toes into a GB. Given three weeks left to go in this group build, this finally showed up in the post yesterday:

53352662770_5b225f7d85_k.jpgunnamed-1 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I've been meaning to try out what looks to be an excellent new release in Eduard's Bf. 109F series, and this kit doesn't look like it'll disappoint. Going with my self imposed rule of never (mostly) building the model on the box art, I started combing my collected images, the internet, and my decal bin for subjects. Of course it had to be in the desert scheme, and I'd prefer that had a little twist on the standard markings. I think I've come up with a good example in this aircraft found in two pictures from my "collected pictures archive":

53352663395_1724b069d8_k.jpgMesserschmitt-Bf-109F4Trop-9-1.JG27-Chivron-Yellow-3-Daba-Egypt-Nov-1942-02 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53352537794_8bc68084a1_h.jpgMesserschmitt-Bf-109F4Trop-9JG27-Yellow-4-Andreas-Kuhn-foreground-MIA-WNr-7186-Daba-Egypt-Nov-1942-03 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

This Bf. 109F-4 was captured apparently largely in tact by British forces at Daba, Egypt in November 1942. According to what I've found online, it was assigned to 9.JG27. The combination of the white chevron, yellow "3" and the later high-waisted sand-blue demarkation line on the fuselage paint should make a for a nice little specimen. If anyone has any other pictures or information about this aircraft, I'd love to have them. I'de be particularly interested the Werk Number that I can't make out on the tail, and which unit insignia (if any) was on the engine cowl.

With introductions out of the way, it time to break the seal on the packaging...

53352432103_314305c5f5_k.jpgunnamed by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Edited by RainierHooker
Changed title
  • Like 9

The pictures of "yellow three" show a G2/Trop not an F4 ...check the windscreen frames and the position of the fuel intake cap.  In the second picture, the yellow 4 is an F. You could build that one, there are more photos of it here :

https://me109.info/display.php?from=site&lang=de&auth=e&name=ueberlebende-ausgabe&fotonummer=3161

https://me109.info/display.php?from=site&lang=de&auth=e&name=ueberlebende-ausgabe&fotonummer=1102

Edited by bad edd

Welcome to the GB, I hope you have left yourself enough time and don't end up rushing what looks like a very nice kit.

I like your choice of markings, something a bit different with the chevron and small number 3.

It does look like it could well be a G2 but if you paint the lower clear panel on the windscreen and rescribe a filler cap or two it will certainly pass for one, I know the wheel wells are different but they're on the underneath and you're among friends here.😉

• Haha 1

Well, biscuits...

Back to the well of photos for a subject. Looks like I'll be saving this scheme for Eduard's early Gustav kit that's in the mail somewhere between Hannant's and my doorstep at the moment. I've got a few ideas out of my archive but I'll hold final judgement until I can get a full appraisal of my books and the deep dark depths of the internet.

I'm not particularly worried about finishing the model itself before the deadline, I've got four days off work to digest turkey and mutilate plastic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And away we go...

As is customary I started with the cockpit:

53354626449_0bf0659cf5_h.jpg0 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I must say that the fit and detail of this kit is unlike any I've built before. 90% of the time (so far) the engineering has been great, if fiddly. The only part I had particular problems with so far were the gun troughs on the cowl. These are one of the few parts in the kit that exhibited any flash, but a perfect fit is absolutely critical. In the end, I got them to work, with one area that will need some very minor filler. However I'm left wondering why they decided to do them as a separate part...

53354626439_f416c4ba61_h.jpg0-1 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Moving onto the wings, these perfectly demonstrated what must be the current mantra of Eduard: "why do with two parts when 8 will do?" The wing assemblies comprise 13 parts, 17 if you use the provided PE radiator faces (I did). All in all it turns out nicely, and the way they engineered the radiator cooling flaps in genius; with a little bending you can get them to pose open. Far and away better, if desperately more complicated than the 5 piece wings of the Tamiya Bf. 109E that I recently finished.

53354524343_7c3b886407_h.jpg0-2 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53354753295_4c54ac8c24_h.jpg0-3 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

• Like 5

With the major subassemblies all fitted and glued together I turned my sights back on the cockpit. Eduard gives you a plethora of PE to play with in the cockpit. In the end, I only used about half of it, I found the decals for the side consoles adequate, and some of the more tiny pieces are unlikely to be seen, even with the canopy left open as I intend to display this little Friedrich:

53354626444_c941147ae9_h.jpg0-4 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

The cockpit was painted with AK Real Colors RLM66, drybrushed and details picked out with various paints (mostly Vallejo) and given a series of washes, in this case black and dark brown Tamiya panel liner. After that the fuselage was closed up and the cockpit inserted from below:

53354753300_e7734a381f_h.jpg0-5 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

And with that all the major assembly was sorted in one day, I started this morning after breakfast, about an hour on the bench, and came back for another session after I put the kids to bed. Probably about 4 hours total build time so far. I've dry fit the wings and tail surfaces, and have decided to not glue them in place at this time. The fit looks so good, that I'm going to dare to paint the bulk of the aircraft disassembled. This should allow some nice crisp demarcation lines at the wing and stabilizer roots. Before I can do that though, I need to finalize my actual subject in order to determine which intake filter and chin scoop to use, as Eduard provide several options...

53354626489_7b95f7246a_h.jpg0-6 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, RainierHooker said:

Far and away better, if desperately more complicated than the 5 piece wings of the Tamiya Bf. 109E that I recently finished.

Does look fantastic I have to say.

36 minutes ago, RainierHooker said:

Probably about 4 hours total build time so far.

Wow, speedy work. It does look like a gorgeous kit, which no doubt helps.

That really is excellent work and very quick too. The cockpit looks superb and very nicely detailed, in fact if we didn't know better I would swear that it is at least 1/48 scale. It looks like Eduard gives you lots of details/options for both the wings and the fuselage, though I fail to see why they have done the gun troughs as separate parts but I'm sure someone will know why.

Well, I think I've nailed down a subject...

53355723735_b4c5302fbb_k.jpg7IIIJG27-1 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

This Bf 109F-4 has proven to have been quite the photo magnet. I've found numerous pictures of this same aircraft on various sites throughout the interwebs. There are at least 5 shots of it in Me109.info and three on Asisbiz.com among other google-images-linked sites. It was apparently a trophy on display outside the tent city at the airfield at Bir el Asta Tunisia. Depending on which site you are looking at it from it is listed as either White or Yellow "10". It's hard to discern which is correct, depending on the shot the numbers and Gruppe insignia appear slightly darker than the white of the balkankreutz and theatre band, but I'm not sure if this is definitive. The final determining factor might be this stenciled logo below the cockpit on either side:

53355624629_18e80d3ba0_k.jpgScreenshot 2023-11-25 at 10.10.56 AM by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Does anyone recognize this? If it is badge alluding to a "Jabo" role, that would lead me to believe the numbers and insignia are yellow as the ground attack aircraft were assigned to the 3rd Group (yellow) of each Wing if I recall correctly. It night also mean I should add an external stores carrier on the underside, (although any trace on one has disappeared in the available pictures, probably because the aircraft had bellied in)

In any case, I've got my marching orders for final details and paint, if not insignia. Back to the workbench after the day's chores...

• Like 1

• RainierHooker changed the title to Messeschmitt Bf. 109F-4 - Libya 1942

Some progress...

I added the final details that were required before paintwork could commence: Tropical filter on the air inlet, the larger of the two chin scoops, exhaust with PE baffles, leading edge slats in the deployed position, and a bomb carrier on the bottom centerline:

53356286964_521d508244_h.jpg0-7 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53355956601_f0cdce8b16_h.jpg0-8 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53355956606_07d557402c_h.jpg0-9 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

After a tiny amount of putty, I sanded all the seams and pulled the aircraft back apart to be black-based. I like doing this on models with gobs of fine detail, it doesn't fill as much as say Mr Surfacer primer, and will glaringly show any problem areas before I move onto pre-shading and paint. Ive got a few small spots to attend to with filler, but I should be ready to continue on as soon as everything gets a chance to cure.

53356180203_ef25ee2588_h.jpg0-10 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

• Like 7

Thanks guys.

My wife is a Chef at a local restaurant, so she works evenings and late on Friday and Saturdays, and that means two things: First, I'm Mr Mom until the kids go to bed. Second, after the critters are asleep, I have a good 4-5 hours of uninterrupted quiet time all to myself and the dog (not that a 12 year old English Setter takes much attention). So, I got stuck in last night and started to knock out the paint work...

First, over the previous black-base I did a pre-shade with aluminum:

53356711002_eb30a155f5_h.jpg0 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

This was followed by a layer of AK's "Worn Effects":

53357808153_687481f4f6_h.jpg0-1 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Then followed by a light mottled layer of the "wrong" RLM 78 and 79 (the 1941 versions):

53357918534_3144afb97c_h.jpg0-2 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

After letting it dry for about an hour, I got out the water, ear buds, toothpicks, and mangled paintbrushes:

53358042720_567ee52957_h.jpg0-3 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Note, I usually use hair spray for chipping, it's never really let me down. However for this build I decided to try this more "professional" chipping product from AK. My verdict: it sucks. The AK seems to bead up to itself and rather than nice feathery chips and worn areas, it kind of reveals not-very-subtle bubbles and spots of the underlaying colors. So I reverted to adding chips and color with a sponge and brush before going on the next layer. And for this layer, I reverted to hairspray followed by a mottled layer of the "right" RLM 78 and 79:

53358042745_9c90fb08b0_h.jpg0-4 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

To which I then applied my shovels and rakes and implements of destruction to provide a semi inconsistent, faded and chipped finish over the whole model without trying to overdo it:

53357918524_78f4b83970_h.jpg0-5 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I let that dry overnight and then proceeded to mask and spray the white fuselage bands and wingtips, and the IFF yellow lower engine cowl:

53358042780_8970e51c49_h.jpg0-6 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

• Like 9

While I am letting all that cure and while I waffle over insignia colors, I've put some thought to how to display our little Friedrich. I'm thinking a small vignette is in order. I have a couple Dragon 1/72 kits in the stash and I'll try to dig out the old model railroad scenery supplies from the attic today (the wife is wondering why I haven't pulled out the Christmas decorations yet, so I've got to make the trek anyway). To hopefully put to bed the conundrum of white vs yellow markings, I ordered Osprey's book on JG27 in Africa, it should be arriving from Uncle Amazon tomorrow. So, I've got a day or two to fret over diorama makings.

Still on track to finish by the deadline.

• Like 2

I really like the end result of your painting and chipping, very effective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the AK chipping solution, its nice to hear an honest appraisal rather than someone singing the praises of a product when it isn't due, its amazing how many of these new wonder products aren't as good as the older and usually cheaper methods that modellers have used for years.

I hope that you and your Setter get some more quality time, I have a 12 year old black Labrador and she spends most of the time asleep now, not helped by having arthritis which makes walking difficult for her.

Clyde is a lumpy, bumpy, mostly blind old man. He spends most of his time asleep in the arm chair that he has claimed for his own. His few waking hours are spent trying to prove that he’s still a puppy, although his knees often remind him otherwise. We still get in a few miles a week on walks around the neighborhood though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RainierHooker said:

Clyde is a lumpy, bumpy, mostly blind old man. He spends most of his time asleep in the arm chair that he has claimed for his own. His few waking hours are spent trying to prove that he’s still a puppy, although his knees often remind him otherwise. We still get in a few miles a week on walks around the neighborhood though.

Sounds a lot like our Mabel, she's on medication for the arthritis which helped a lot for a couple of weeks but her body has got used to it now unfortunately and she limps quite badly. She can only manage very short walks now when we used to walk for miles and I think she's losing her hearing a bit, or becoming selectively deaf, which I can't rule out as she has always been cunning.

Catching up on this and I seem to have missed the entire build in a couple of days! I really like the cockpit, as well as your weathered finish on the external paintwork :)

Sounds like your Setter is still doing his best to live his best life, which is always a better sign than them giving up. I'm not a pet owner myself, but my lady has three cats, one of which is a 15-year-old with no teeth left (complications from having cat flu as a kitten). She also has asthma and is allergic to cats, which I find extremely special. She can be a grumpy cow and is definitely a bit creaky, but she's still going. Half of which I'm willing to believe is spite to keep harrassing the boys and make their lives miserable :cwl: She's significantly smaller than the boys (about 4kg vs 5.5kg and 6.5kg for the boys), but there is absolutely no doubt she's the boss

James

Well, I scrounged the shop and attic for some diorama goodies and I came up well.

53360088921_cedadd0b62_h.jpg0-11 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I found the following:

- a bottomless poly carbonate box thing that will serve as a dust cover for the completed vignette

- a chunk of mahogany that will become the base of the diorama

- various foliage and plant making supplies, mostly intended for HO scale model railroading

- some resin details including a random pile of crates and a pair of German oil drums with pumps (an airmodel.de kit)

- some umbrellas

- a figure that looks sufficiently "pilot-like" even though it comes from an Ammo by Mig Panzer crew set

- a 1/72 scale Kubelwagen included as a "bonus" in a Dragon M4 Sherman kit (separate build thread HERE)

and most importantly

- a christmas mug full of black coffee

Time to get diorama-ing...

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 3

Here's the preliminary idea for the vignette:

53360305368_238fcfe348_h.jpg0-10 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I have a little idea in my head, so I'm trying to find any photos of Kubelwagen loaded down as makeshift fuel lorry. Two 200l fuel drums matches the tank capacity of a Bf. 109, and two full drums would be right at the edge of a Kubel's load limit, provided one came up with a way of loading and securing them. I'm certain that this was tried at least once in a forward base where one was lacking a proper truck. Speaking from experience, filling an aircraft from a pile of jerry cans is a miserable experience. I'm sure that at least one soldier thought "I have a good idea"...

• Like 7

That is a nice collection of goodies for your diorama and the way you have posed things preliminarily looks very natural. The idea of having fuel drums in a Kubelwagen sounds feasible to me, as you say necessity is the mother of invention at forward airstrips and you can't say that it was never tried.

Off for a look at your Kubelwagen thread now.

• RainierHooker changed the title to Messeschmitt Bf. 109F-4 - Egypt 1942 - Now with Diorama Rama

Well, I got my copy of Osprey's "Jagdgeschwader 27 'Afrika'" and quickly read the chapter on its operations in North Africa in 1941-43. It was illuminating but sadly doesn't nail down the riddle of white or yellow aircraft markings on this subject.

In May 1942, III Gruppe (group) of JG27 added a fourth Staffel (squadron) specifically for Jabo (fighter bomber) duties around the Libya/Egypt/Tunisia frontier. This squadron would then be deactivated and absorbed into the new Autonomous JaboGruppe Afrika in August of the same year. If this aircraft was a Jabo assigned to III./JG27 (verified by the wavy line insignia and the as-yet-unknown bomb badge under the cockpit) it would have been in this short-lived 10.(Jabo)/JG27 and would have been marked as such between May and August 1942. Traditionally the 10th Staffel in a JG would be assigned to the IV Gruppe, and would have had white insignia, but would also have a different Gruppe insignia (a slightly less wavy line) and required an additional staff element. Further, the fourth squadron of a group would usually have blue insignia, but I'm reasonably certain that this is not the case here. It's likely that the aircraft were drawn from the other squadrons within the same group, and simply marked with the stencil exhibited on this aircraft. So really, we are back to square one, the markings could be either white or yellow.

I've kicked a punt and it landed on yellow.

Edited by RainierHooker
Grammar
  • Like 1