Combining two bodies - Fusion 360

Sebastien

Hi,

I'm trying to create a protruding plate on my Tornado tank (the blue bit in the pic below):

tTEPI7R.png

I made a body (sketch, extrusion) that I moved in place.

And for reasons I can't fathom, I can't combine the two bodies in one.

Any idea?

TIA,

S.

10 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Can you create a sketch surface on the surface of the tank?

The plate would then follow its contours.

No, you can only create a sketch on a flat surface.

51 minutes ago, Brandy said:

It doesn't look like the plate meets the tank. You can only combine objects that intersect.

Ian

Ian,

The plate does meet the tank.

S.

What error message are you getting when you try to do the join?

Also, if you can't figure out why combining won't work, you can make a new sketch using the face of the object you moved into place, and extrude that.  Use the "To Body" extent type and the "Join" operation.

• Thanks 1

It seems my rear revolution was deeply flawed.

I redid  the sketch and the revolution (and all the bits and bobs that go on it), and everythng was fine again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ebf2k said:

What was the problem with the revolve?  I have had a few times myself where some bodies just don't work but never figured out why.

TBH, I don't know.

I removed it and did it again, and then it was OK.

magic-shia-labeouf.gif

Sorry I can't help you on that topic...

S.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I find that quite often tools such as loft/sweep/ thicken/fillet/shell/combine and even simple ones like mirror become temperamental as the bodies become more complicated.

Sometimes it’s straightforward operator error like having guide rails that don’t touch your profiles in a loft but often there doesn’t seem to be an identifiable reason.

Sometimes it seems completely arbitrary.  I’ve had failures with fillets on just one side of a seemingly perfectly symmetrical body and worked around it by cutting the body in half and mirroring the side that lets me do the fillet!

Usually there is a work-around - whether by slightly changing a profile to give more overlap, or changing the order of things or using a different tool or whatever.  Sometimes you can complete a loft or sweep as a new body when it won’t do it as a join.  It might let you combine the new body or it might not (but might let you later down the line).

The two invariably necessary tools seem to be patience and a sense of humour.  :D

• Like 3