AH-1G Cobra with M35 armament subsystem - Special Hobby - 1/72

SebTartar

Hi,

I am building this as part of a Group Build in a French forum.

53170650533_2069dec15a_c.jpg

This Cobra variant was some badass mosquito!

Aside from the 40mm XM149 grenade launcher and M134 minigun (up to 100rps) in the chin turret, it carried 2 rocket pods, an M18 minigun pod and the M-35 subsystem built around the M195 20mm gun (a short-barrelled M61A1 Vulcan) that could deliver 750 to 800 rpm!

Having said that, the M18 tended to jam or continue firing after releasing the trigger and the M195 vibrations were such that the radios got damaged.

The kit is the excellent Special Hobby AH-1G Cobra which is a joy to assemble and can be built very quickly OOB.

Some might argue that the canopy in 5 parts can be a bit fiddly to assemble, the shape of the air intakes is not right and the presence of recessed rivets on the tail boom when they should be raised. I can live with that…

This boxing was reviewed by Julien here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981648-ah-1g-cobra-over-vietnam-with-m-35-gun-system-172-special-hobby/

Still, I decided to improve it using some aftermarket.

- Bren Gun air intakes: an improvement over the kit part, though their replacement is not imperative IMHO

53170162291_186c795ab0_z.jpg

-       PE fret sold through Special Hobby but made by Eduard: useful for the cockpit details and the underbelly hatches

53170162286_1f29935753_c.jpg

-       Masks for the canopy: really useful given the shape of the canopy elements

53170162296_897010f532_c.jpg

-       Chin turret from CMK: not essential but the minigun and grenade launcher barrels look nicer than those supplied in the kit.

53170650583_da87c20a90_c.jpg

Decals are provided for four Cobras.

As I do not not have any model bearing a sharkmouth and as this was the most colourful option, I chose to build “Camo D”:

53169576537_37925d0ee3_c.jpg

Having a low confidence level in my ability to conform the sharkmouth decals to the nose, I also cut some masks…

I started the build last Sunday. Pictures will follow soon.

• Like 8

This kit being of an excellent quality I progressed much faster than usual.

I started the build with the assembly of the cell as the cockpit can be inserted easily afterwards.

53177134677_ab08fdda71_c.jpg

53178221498_1d54e032bc_c.jpg

53177724706_26fd3f197d_c.jpg

53178161785_eb53eee3d0_c.jpg

The BrenGun air intakes fit really nicely. The filler is only a precaution.

The PE hatches are worth it.

I replaced the pitot with one made of Albion Alloy micro tubes.

The CMK turret diameter is at least 1 mm too big and does not fit correctly in its housing. Therefore, I kept the plastic turret but used the resine minigun and grenade launcher tubes as they are much better than the kit parts.

I thinned down the cockpit access step, drilled theloops at the front end of each ski and glued some loops (brass wire)

I added some weights wherever I could to avoid having a tail-sitter.

Now, I will turn my attention to the cockpit.

Edited by SebTartar
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The rugby world cup having started my slow pace got even slower. But I made some (tiny) progress.

Looking at the period pictures, it seems that most if not all Cobras were equipped with debris deflectors on the main rotor. These are absent from the kit rotor. So I scratched them:

53202158630_a17d44016e_c.jpg

I probably could have done better but that'll do.

I primed the model using Ammo One Shot black primer. I usually buff it to give a satin sheen.

It revealed small surface defects that I filled and sanded.

The surface finish is now OK for painting:

53202158635_10e4237eb5_c.jpg

53202110094_6858a21fb3_c.jpg

The arrow point to an issue that is common to the kit and the Eduard PE parts: the weapons operator left armour plate is in a single piece on both when there should be two separate parts.

Indeed, the front part of the armour plate was fixed to the access door.

So, I cut the front part using a new blade and it will be glued to the access door.

I have started painting the cockpit tub. I followed the instructions and sprayed well diluted H312 over the black primer.

I sprayed zenithally making sure that I got some contrast.

Then, I made some highlights by adding some white to the grey and diluting the mix further in order to build up the effect.

It looks a good starting point.

I will now finish painting and weathering the cockpit before a tedious masking session...

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I did not manage to free much modelling time the last two weeks but managed to finish the cockpit of my Cobra:

53246387694_f466820004_c.jpg

53246317448_61fb807dfb_c.jpg

53246023816_0e052b8c51_c.jpg

53246317428_cd9838e4d2_c.jpg

On the reference pictures I could see a first aid pouch that was missing from the kit. So, I made one with Magic Sculp.

A harness is also visible behind the back seat. I made it unsing masking tape, aluminium foil and buckles from a PE fret leftovers.

A fire extinguisher is visible on the LH side of the gunner seat. I scratched it from plastic rod and added a handle made with lead wire.

The hoses that link the climatiser to the seats supplied with the kit are simplistic. I made them from thin copper wire wrapped around a larger piece of cable.

Finally, I added a wire that can be seen running from the collimator and behing the gunner seat.

I finished the painting the cockpit with a black pinwash and a light dry brush with a very light grey.

The weathering was kept very simple and made with weathering pencils: red ochre for the dust and aluminium the wear, mostly on the floor.

The collimator sight is still missing.

The elements of the canopy are now ready for assembly.

Gluing the tiny PE parts proved a very relaxing moment...🥴

53246387714_35be798f97_c.jpg

On the reference pictures, the inside of the frame of the pilot and gunner access doors are painted yellow.

I added to the gunner access door the armour plate bit that I had cut off the PE part as it is clear looking at the pictures that this front part was fixed to the door.

There should not be much progress this week as I spend the weekend at the SMC in Veldhoven!

If some of you go there too, I will be with the Warpaints lads in area H stand 13.

• Like 13

Thanks a lot for the nice comments.

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Nice work so far!, consider my chair pulled up and beverage poured!

Cheers,

Andre

I hope it is a cold beverage!

Progress is and will be a bit slow. I was at the SMC this weekend and will be at a local exhibition next weekend!

And... I found the Special Hobby F-84F at the SMC. It is begging me to be built. And I am so weak...🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neat build and good progress. I have the kit in my stash but wasn't aware of the AM PE detail set. I'll have to investigate.

I too like the Sharks mouth decal option.

Colin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Neat build and good progress. I have the kit in my stash but wasn't aware of the AM PE detail set. I'll have to investigate.

I too like the Sharks mouth decal option.

Colin

Thanks for the feedback

Hannants have 2 in stock under reference MPMK72028.

Otherwise, you can find it on the Special Hobby website under the reference number 100-K72028. Super Hobby also have it in stock.

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

Great attention to detail, some excellent updates and refinements you've made. One of the few 1/72 kits I've built, thought it was an excellent package 👍

Thanks Alan.

It is a very good kit indeed. This is my second and I have another one in the stash.

OOB, it could very well be a weekend project.

• 3 weeks later...

I made some progress on the reptile as it is now painted.

It took some rather tedious masking sessions to paint the sharkmouth, red panels and elements that will remain black before I could actually spray the base coat.

I used highly thinned Mr Hobby H52 Olive Drab and a 0,2mm nozzle. I built up the effect by insisting on the centre of the panels in order to let the black primer show through around the edges of the panels. I tried to keep some panels darker than others to bring some tonal variation.

Then I made some highlights and bourght further tonal varaition using AK Real Color RC024 Faded OD. Again this was highly thinned.

I made some post shading using a homemade blck-brown mixed.

Finally, I sprayed a mist of the base colour to tone down the colour variations where deemed necessary.

I also painted the turret (but forgot the OD on the bottom... typical me) and the rotor and tail blades.

53305725147_cab519219d_c.jpg

53305725142_af789ff107_c.jpg

53305725127_e8d6d6e190_c.jpg

53307064625_7c67bb0006_c.jpg

Sorry for the rather dark and "burnt" pictures.

These are the best I could take that looked close to the actual colour and tonal variations.

Since my older parasite teenage son fiddled with my camera I can no longer retrieve proper settings...

Once I have painted some of the stencils using masks cut with my Silhouette, I will be able remove all masks...

And reveal all the touch-ups that I will most certainly be required!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year everyone!

Progress has been at best sluggish but I did progress nonetheless.

Having experienced some silvering with my previous build of an SH 1/72 Cobra, I decided to cut masks and paint wherever possible.

I was pleasantly surprised after removing the masks as very few touch-ups were needed:

53451311838_ea595cc79e_c.jpg

53451506659_6d9206cd88_c.jpg

Then, I proceeded to the dreaded decal application with Microsol followed by Daco Strong as a precaution and... still got silvering on the stencils!! 😒

I think there is definitely a defect with these stencils as the main decals that are on a separate sheet did not pose any problem.

I tried infiltrating some Klir behind the stencils using a thin brush.

It did the trick but left me with glossy patches on the overall satin base.

I do not like to apply any varnish before or after any stage of the painting and weathering process as it tends to ruin the effects but had no choice there.

So, I sprayed a coat of VMS satin varnish. I like them because they do not alter the colours / effects. And they are waterbased and resistant.

Their satin has a mattish finish but takes the washes nicely. There's no need for a gloss coat before the washes and for a matt coat after the weathering.

I sprayed it straight from the jar at 2 bar of pressure and a 0,4mm nozzle and applied it close to the surface.

It is really surprising how quick it dries (you can help the process by blowing air) and how nicely and evenly it tightens.👍

I also changed my light for the pictures. The result is closer to what I have in front of me:

53451506679_99344affd4_c.jpg

53451506619_db1cf51ba1_c.jpg

53451506629_11de977990_c.jpg

Washes and weathering to follow. Hopefully a bit quicker...

• Like 8

I applied the washes on the Cobra.

This is my favourite step of a build as they give some depth, better definition and finalise the colour variations.

I know some will argue that on the real items panel lines are barely visible but models kits will never be the real items.

53465494139_5c4a159df4_c.jpg

53465601660_c92aa9220e_c.jpg

53465494134_35f75e0b94_c.jpg

I used mostly True Earth washes: a 50-50 mix of "black" and "dark ageing" on the olive drab, "general ageing" on the white and red.

They do not seem to have a light grey in store. Therefore, I used a "dust" weathering pencil on the rotor blades tail boom and the black at the front.

Next will be the dust accumulations and streaks / rain marks and a few scratches ehre and there.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Whooow. I am very impressed! All these details in 1/72! That’s real art! I got problems with my 1/48 Cobra especially detailing the cockpit as you can somewhere here on Ready for inspection. I very looking forward for the finished model.

Andy 

• Thanks 1