Heinkel He 162 Salamander in RAF Service

I've had this kit for some time, it is one intended to be finished in RAF Markings, along with other German Aircraft featured in K S West's book, the Captive Luftwaffe, and flown by Captain Eric Brown as part of the RAE Aerodynamics Flight at Farnborough in 1945/46. 

The Aircraft is C/N 120086, one of 11 operated by JG1 and captured at Leck 

In RAF markings it was given serial number VH515 and recorded as Air Min 67, the German markings were overpainted, but not the nose arrow of JG 1. It would have had a unit identity number, but this was also painted out. There are quite a few photos of the 162s, a couple in colour and it does seem that when painting out the German markings German paints were used, as there is no obvious mismatch as is seen on some of the ME 163s in RAF colours. It also seems that the jets did not receive Trainer Yellow under surfaces, which might have been expected, the 162 are clearly blue, probably RLM 76, a pale blue/grey. Upper surfaces are RLM 81/82, but with aberrations like the ailerons painted the same 82 colour overall as they were interchangeable. The engine cover was also a dark solid colour, it could have been RLM 66. After 75+ years who can say? 

Also, by 1945 German Supply Chain issues resulted in paint being made from what was available, rather than an exact match to the official RLM or RAL Colour shade charts. 

The Revell kit is simple, but finely detailed and with virtually no flash: a joy to build!

Now to the exciting bit...for me, that is! 

I'm an old generation modeler,  first building Airfix Kits in the 1960s and grew up with Humbrol oil based paints.  Some years ago I got an Iwata Revolution Airbrush and tried using it with thinned Humbrol, but with not a lot of success. For this kit I decided to try again, using Vallejo Airbrush Ready acrylic paint. 

WHAT a difference.....the paint is fine, covers well and dries quickly. So far, so good...but I've only painted the interior parts using their Panzer Grey, which seems to match RLM 66 and which was used as an internal colour on most aircraft built in the late war. 

Here is my Airbrush, the incredibly useful Revell spray capture jar, essential for washing out the airbrush, the kit internals painted. 

spacer.png

I should have the fuselage closed up next week, I will highlight the seat straps and dome of the very simple instruments, but I'm not super detailing this. 

The interesting phase is going to be when I have to spray the external surfaces. It has been suggested that I need a second airbrush for larger areas, but we shall see: I model mostly in 1/48 to 1/24 scale.

But if this project works well it could see me bring the curtain down on Humbrol, the modern "eco friendly" paint formulations are not what they used to be: I have tinlets from the 1960s that are in perfect condition whilst tinlets bought more recently are thick, don't cover properly and either dry to rapidly to too slowly. . 

More, soon....

• Like 11

Pulling up a chair.

I once saw Eric Brown at the UK IPMS Nationals ( as it was called then ) many years ago, but by the time I realised who it was he had gone. I would have loved to have had a few words with him, even if his had been “shove off”.

John

PS: same here on the  tinlets I still have some usable Compucolour!

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 18:41, 224 Peter said:

But if this project works well it could see me bring the curtain down on Humbrol, the modern "eco friendly" paint formulations are not what they used to be: I have tinlets from the 1960s that are in perfect condition whilst tinlets bought more recently are thick, don't cover properly and either dry to rapidly to too slowly. . 

Not sure if you've seen it, but I have also been comparing enamels and acrylics as I have also just started airbrushing.

Link here if useful  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235127638-somerset-polish/page/6/

...... page 6 on

Good luck with the 162.  In my ancient stash I have a copy of the old Revell 162 in 1/72.  Your build might just inspire a poor, small version! :giggle:

cheers

Rob

On 12/08/2023 at 18:41, 224 Peter said:

The engine cover was also a dark solid colour, it could have been RLM 66. After 75+ years who can say? 

Nobody can say for certain, we can only go by what evidence there is from interpretations of b&w photos and the occasional rare period color pic.  Having said that, there is little or no evidence (as far as I'm aware) that 66 was ever mandated for use as an external camo colour.  The engine pod is more likely to have been dark green or dark brown 81, in line with the other topside colours.  Certainly other a/c under construction in the late war period (Ta152 for example) had RLM camo instructions which called for the late war scheme of 81/82/76.  Clearly these colours varied between factories, but not to the point of employing 66, IMO.  I could be wrong though... ;) 

The other thing to bear in mind is that Heinkel had a strong legacy of building bombers, so it's possible that there was a fair bit of the older 71/70 colours on the shelves - and there were instructions to use up stocks before ordering new colours. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Werdna said:

Nobody can say for certain, we can only go by what evidence there is from interpretations of b&w photos and the occasional rare period color pic.  Having said that, there is little or no evidence (as far as I'm aware) that 66 was ever mandated for use as an external camo colour.  The engine pod is more likely to have been dark green or dark brown 81, in line with the other topside colours.  Certainly other a/c under construction in the late war period (Ta152 for example) had RLM camo instructions which called for the late war scheme of 81/82/76.  Clearly these colours varied between factories, but not to the point of employing 66, IMO.  I could be wrong though... ;) 

The other thing to bear in mind is that Heinkel had a strong legacy of building bombers, so it's possible that there was a fair bit of the older 71/70 colours on the shelves - and there were instructions to use up stocks before ordering new colours. 

So the engine covers could have been finished in old stock 70, Black Green, that makes sense. 

16 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Not sure if you've seen it, but I have also been comparing enamels and acrylics as I have also just started airbrushing.

Link here if useful  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235127638-somerset-polish/page/6/

...... page 6 on

Good luck with the 162.  In my ancient stash I have a copy of the old Revell 162 in 1/72.  Your build might just inspire a poor, small version! :giggle:

cheers

Rob

Rob, an interesting and informative read, much appreciated. It seems we are on a similar journey of discovery!  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

So the engine covers could have been finished in old stock 70, Black Green, that makes sense. 

70 or 71, as Graham says.  I'm not sure whether BMW supplied its engines to Heinkel in the same/similar 'power egg' format.  

Progress.... the busy cockpit is finished and the complex but beautifully detailed main wheel bay finished. 

First, the cockpit area....

spacer.png

Everything airbrushed, other than the seat belts. A bit of dry brushing to highlight the front U/C springand bits of the seat. 

Note the lead sheet, all 45gm of it, thankfully the space behind the cockpit is forward of the c of g so it should be enough nd if not I can add air gun pellets before fixing the engine in place. 

Now that main wheel bay...

spacer.png

Needs a bit of dry brush work and, of course, the legs added. Note the lead...

I've started spraying the external parts and I'm learning how to control the flow of paint and the air supply. The finish of the paint reminds me of the glory days of The Humber Oil Company, when paint had covering density, a smooth finish and was a joy to use. 

The next report will be when the two halves have been joined up, wings and tail attached and spraying can be continued. 

The kit itself is a joy, not a spot of filler, no flash, everything fits! 

• Like 8

Research Progress on the colours that were most probably employed...this reflects the way the production was split amongst subcontractor locations. 

Fuselage:

Upper RLM 82, Lower RLM 76. The line between blue and green stated that the "Upper third" was green, but under the wing was blue. The demarcation was soft

RLM 82 did not extend to the nose, but curved up round and over the nose just in front of the nose cone

The early aircraft had a much higher demarcation, roughly in line with the lower edge of the cockpit. 

Later aircraft, built by Junkers, were essentially in primer, other than the wings and rear fuselage. 

Wings:

Left wing upper: RLM 82,Lower RLM 76 but the leading edge was 74 for between 100 and 150mm (4 to 6 inches)

Right wing: RLM 81, but aileron 82 with 76 as per left wing.

There are reports that ailerons were overall 82 but this is not clearly supported by the few photos of aircraft in flight...

Engine

Cowls: RLM 81 

The air intake is described in some sources as RLM 02, which is unlikely, more probably either 66, or the "Flight" colour, matching the aircraft number. As most of the aircraft photographed on the ground had engine covers over the intake it is impossible to be certain, but all photos show the intake in a colour that is markedly different from the 81 of the cowl panels. 

Tail plane: 

Left upper RLM 82, Lower 76

Right Upper RLM 81, Lower 76

Note similar leading edge extension of 76 on the upper surface.

Elevators: the reverse of the tail.

Fins/Rudders:

Overall l RLM 76, but some photos suggest that the upper outside face matched the tail upper. Wkr Nr 120 072 had the outside faces of the fin/rudder in Right in 81 and Left in 82

Wrk Nr 120 098, as flown by Eric Brown. and others, is listed at Leck as "White 2", with a white air intake ring and a white nr 2 behind the cockpit. It may also have had a white band in front of the cockpit, just on the nose cone joint line. 

There was no visible number when in RAF markings, it was allocated the serial VH513 and it had post war style roundels. 

The way that the airframes were constructed by subcontractors makes painting easier as there is little need for masking, other than on the fuselage! 

Painting is underway, all in Vallejo Air Acrylics. Photos to follow....

• Like 1

Here is my first Airbrush effort...the hairy stick used only on the U/C oleos and tyres....

spacer.png

On the home run now, some small corrections needed on the demarcation line between blue and green, then on with the engine and covers, gloss varnish before transfers, as previously explained, in RAF markings, Farnborough 1946. 

The colours, RLM 81 and  RLM 82 do look remarkably like MAP Dark Green and Dark Earth!! 

Overall I'm quite pleased with both my build and use of airbrush and acrylic paints. Another couple of results like this and many of my old Humbrol paints will be consigned to the recycling place in town! 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Here is my first Airbrush effort...the hairy stick used only on the U/C oleos and tyres....

On the home run now, some small corrections needed on the demarcation line between blue and green, then on with the engine and covers, gloss varnish before transfers, as previously explained, in RAF markings, Farnborough 1946. 

The colours, RLM 81 and  RLM 82 do look remarkably like MAP Dark Green and Dark Earth!! 

Overall I'm quite pleased with both my build and use of airbrush and acrylic paints. Another couple of results like this and many of my old Humbrol paints will be consigned to the recycling place in town! 

Nice looking finish there.  I was surprised how well the paint went on but didn't hide any surface details.  I have found it a surprisingly smooth transition experience, as you also seem to have.  However,  unlike you I will be retaining some enamels

cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob,

yes, the way the acrylic paints cover is quite impressive. 

There will always be a place for enamels, and a hairy stick, but for much of my paintwork the airbrush will do nicely! 

Using a hairy stick with acrylic paint seems to work, and it is nice to be able to clean up with water or water/IPA

• Like 1

The basic structure is complete, getting it to sit on all 3 wheels was the next challenge. 

The kit calls for a 45g weight in the nose, which is impossible....there isn't space. Fortunately there is. a large space behind the seat and in front of the main wheels and this can be accessed from under the engine....as long as the engine isn't in place. I used builders lead sheet and ended up with 50gm, all glued in place. 

The last bit of lead can be seen below. 

With this load the aircraft sits on 3 wheels, just as the motor covers add some weight behind the U/C legs, but the canopy balances that. 

spacer.png 

Once the engine and covers are in place and the U/C doors fitted I can spray gloss varnish ready for transfer application. 

All in all an enjoyable kit, everything fits and only a little joint filling was needed where the fairing plate covering the main wheel well joins to the fuselage. 

• Like 2

Hope this catches you in time Peter.

The intake at the front of the cowling was most likely bare metal, rather than 02 or a 'Flight Colour' such as red. This idea of coloured cowling rings isn't supported by any contemporary photographic evidence that I'm aware of, but has appeared on many, many profiles plus the restored aircraft that was at St Athan and is extensively photographed in Luftwaffe literature. 

As here

400_3564316561313539

In reality this intake is an integral part of the engine, and therefore is much more likely to have remained in its natural alloy state, as here

bmw003tb_3

1152_6565623761373463

He 162 1945 colour shot

This shot above was taken at the same time as a pic I posted in an earlier thread - it shows a captured He 162 Wk Nr 120076 about to depart Farnborough for Brize Norton, taken in August 1945 with the airframe in its original camouflage paint, but RAF markings applied (as indeed you intend to). 

Other airframes had uppersurface camouflage paint applied to the intake ring as here

He 162 white 4 new eBay

He 162 demuth 97b5_1_b

Photo sources - expired EBay auctions

HTH

SD

• Like 1

The evidence supports a silver, or brown/violet camouflage painted intake ring, not one in Flight Colour. I suspect that the use of a flight colour evolved from the lack of colour photos and the variable tone achieved using different B&W film stock under differing light conditions. 

It also looks more interesting, even if it compromises the camouflage effect!

I'd painted it white, as can be seen below, but it was not too late to apply dull aluminium, which I'm doing today. 

spacer.png

U/c doors going on, too. 

The ME 163 is the Meng kit, also in 1/32 scale and also as flown at Farnborough by "Winkle" Brown, and others! 

My journey of suffering can be found here....

The Revell Heinkel is a delight to build, the Meng Kit not so. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished, but I'm stuck....Airframe 120072 was alocated the UK Reference "Air Min o 61", this is clearly shown in photos of the Left side. But I cannot find a photo of the RHS. Does the left side show, reading from tail to nose, "Air Min o 61", or "61 o Air Min"? 

Can anyone help?