Chicken Walker Altered state

Back to Sci Fi once again and something else not out of the box. 

A snap fit AT ST from the bay that was less than a tenner due to a missing foot. How hard can it be?

MTsmj3P.jpg

Snap fit, so it was easy to disassemble.

EZcawis.jpg

Years ago in Riyadh I bought a load of these pencil sharpeners because I liked the shape.

The part in the middle here will be used as a replacement foot.  Of course I'll have to do the pair. Obviously.

In the background you can see what the original foot should look like.

CnOKHbR.jpg

And this is the remaining foot that came on the snap fit kit. Hmmm.

As can be seen, the replacement feet will be slightly broader than the originals.

eo5FarT.jpg

This is one that I built a few years ago. The rebels had a field day modifiying it!

MGwQ5bo.jpg

They souped up the drive system while they were at it.

I might get an hour or so at the bench tomorrow. More pics and progress soon. I hope.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 15

Time for another quick update. It's been another busy day with chores  and garden stuff. But I managed to get a couple of hours at the bench...

a2xclDS.jpg

This is the reference book if you need to know anything at all regarding Star Wars machines. 

Aparently the AT ST uses replaceable fuel cells. Who knew? I'll try to remember to show the relevant page next time. 

jS6kbXW.jpg

Make the most of it. This is all I got today! The Camera batteries died too, which doesn't help!

In the foreground there is a rounded peg at the end of the leg (To the right here). That slots into the socket you see on the back of the original foot.

I've had to replicate that on the new feet. First I cut out a square at the back and made up the socket and supports from bits of Panzer. Nice thick plastic.

The feet have been filled at the back with Milliput to add weight & support. A plastic card base was made and glued onto each one. they still need trimming.

It's all just mocked up here as glue & filler were all drying. The socket supports and feet need detailing next time. So I'll hit the bits boxes.

Speaking of which, My thanks once again to those who donated their unwanted tank parts etc to said bits boxes. I couldn't do this stuff without you. 

We're off out again tomorrow but I might get an hour or so on this in the morning. We shall see.

Thanks for dropping in. Your comments are always welcome. Cheers, Pete

• Like 9

On 22/07/2023 at 19:06, Pete in Lincs said:

The part in the middle here will be used as a replacement foot.

Great idea with the sharpener. It looks good. In my opinion, even better than the original foot, which has this weird sprung fork in the front.

• Thanks 1

Hey! How about an update?

82D2bgF.jpg

Final form of the feet. What we have here is a Tornado laser 'boat fairing' on top of the foot. Sticking out of it is a 75mm gun barrel.

Wrapped around the barrel is fuse wire covered in PVA which will dry & hopefully look like a weather cover. 

The gun barrel represents a sensor  and has bomb fins glued on to help with the sensing. (Obviously).

This is the right foot. Yesterday I was at Melchett towers which was being graced by a visit from @Martian

He, in his capacity of interplanetary ambassado,r has held and blessed this foot in the name of Ming the Merciless, Custodian

of the golden Blurglecruncheon and part time Barmitzvah caterer. (10% discount for twins).  I am not worthy!

FpFD0UR.jpg

Here's the (unblessed) Left foot. Just so you can check out the greeblies. 

DQCM79F.jpg

This is what you see if you turn one of these things upside down. The motor section. It was plain, so I've added greeblies and am boxing in the arms where the legs attach. (See the bit sticking up)

BxCLTV4.jpg

A couple of greeblies on the legs,

q0z1TfX.jpg

In the foreground is the entry hatch. Boring. So I raided the spares box and made up what you see here. Slightly less boring.

It's supposed to have a handrail around the top of the body, so I'm in the process of doing that.

I'm still not sure how the crew are supposed to get up there in the first place.

OBREOMk.jpg

The chin guns were missing the lower shield, so I made one up from card.

And I'm afraid that's all I have for this episode. More soon I Hope.

Please keep the comments coming, Cheers, Pete

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Another weekend, another update. You lucky people! Thanks very much for the likes.

A1g27lP.jpg

Hopefully a bit better than what I started with.

hFkjzSF.jpgi

I put some card strip around the front armour just to make it stand out a bit better. And scratch built the concussion generator at left.

d8ubfNU.jpg

This is the back as supplied. A bit plain, perhaps?

vu1BQTW.jpg

This is how it looks now. A bit more interesting. The colour of the blue and yellow wires is pure coincidence. 

wDrT4be.jpg

Another view of the concussion generator. I also added some plastic strip and off cuts to make the bodywork more like it should be.

0xn7D1H.jpg

Side view of the motor unit. Various enhancements have been added to make it look more like the picture in the book.

U7F98k0.jpg

There are radiators at the back of the motor unit so I made shields for them. The interestingly shaped mesh is from a bag of fruit!

And that's about it for another time. The main body halves are glued and clamped overnight. There will be a nasty seam to remove.

Paint may happen soon. Thanks for looking. Have a good one, Pete

• Like 13