Yet another Airfix Bentley Blower

How and where do the auxiliary tank fuel lines run after they pass through the firewall? Ie from tank to the grommet on the firewall.

I can't find any references.

Ian

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

How and where do the auxiliary tank fuel lines run after they pass through the firewall? Ie from tank to the grommet on the firewall

I can't find any references.

Ian

Brandy when you talk about the aux tank are you talking about the one attached to the firewall ? I always assumed that this tank was the blower oil tank. I couldn't find much info on it but what I was planning to do was to plum from that tank to the 2 glass oil meters mounted on the dashboard and from there go thru the firewall,  down the drivers side firewall leg and go to the blower up front. I found a few pictures showing some hoses connected to the underside of the blower. I would post some pictures but I'm having some problems with Flickr. 

As for the fuel aux tank, I found a picture showing markings next to the taps on top of the fuel tank. M (for main?) And R (for reserve?)

Does anyone now a different way to post pictures? On other forums, you can simply upload the pictures directly, no need to use Flickr .

Edited by The guy from quebec

The oil tank is the small one on the right. The large one on the left, with a filler cap extending through the bodywork, is an auxiliary fuel tank. The lines running up the right front side of the firewall are fuel lines from the auxiliary tank.

The oil lines for the blower run from the firewall just behind the engine, along its sides (the copper lines along the block) then through flexible rubber hoses to the underside of the blower where the lines become copper again.

Ian

Brandy, could it be that the small tank you're talking about does not exist on the 4 1/2 liter blower? On every picture I see, including those of my ref car, there is a round blaking plate screw to the bulkhead just above the gas pedal. I think this is where the small thank might have been.  Well anyways, it's not present on my ref car so I'll route the different hoses that are presently installed on the bulkhead in the most practical way for me. It will not be correct but should look good. 

Still can't upload pictures into Flickr,  it would seem the Flickr wants me to upgrade to pro even if I only loaded 500 on the 1k pictures allowed with the free version. I refuse to pay to upload pictures that are already on google photo (which I already pay for) and are readily available.  

Thank you Pouln and thank you Ian for the oil tank info. Unfortunately,  it's to late for me to add it. It would require I completetly remove all the wiring from the bulkhead to the dashboard and i'm affraid it would do more harm than good.  Like I said in my previous post, the hoses go from the 2 metering valves mounted on the dashboard to the blower, they just don't go thru a tank. I know it's a bummer but I prefer having a model that is nice to look at rather than a 100% accurate one( which is impossible anyway).

Still, alot was done today.

-All wiring and plumping of the bulkhead assy is complete

-the engine and bulkhead assy are installed, and when connected to a battery, the engine turns along with the drive shaft differentiel and rear wheels 

-speedo drive housing installed on transmission and wired to dash,

-inclined floor board (the one just in front of the pedal) installed.

I still can't upload from Flickr but here is a link to my build album. Hope it works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2DahEAtoFRgju8eA

That video where you “jumpstart” your engine - fantastic. The amount of realism you are building into this model is mind blowing.

Thank you Pouln,  I just added another video showing the completed working throttle assy.

As the engine goes, I find the rotation a bit slow. I ordered 2 different gearmotors with 2 ratios.  The one I really wanted which would have rotated the engine something like 5 times faster was lost in the mail. It arrived yesterday but it's too late seeing everything is assembled. Oh well, I'll keep it for the next one. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,  it's been a while since my last post but I can assure you that I've been quite busy. Still can't post pictures but I'll but the link to my photo album which as about 80 new pix in it.

Here's what as been done since my last post.

1 Modeled,  printed and installed the head light brackets with the horns

2 printed new carburators with linkage, assembled on blower and installed on model

3 did all plumping to blower 

4 printed new head light protection grills and installed correct size mesh

5 chromed the head lights assy and installed on model

6 had a moderate set back with my gearmotor,  both motor leads broke off. I had to remove and replace with new faster rotating gearmotor.  Everything is ok abd still works! (See video)

7 wired gearmotor and head lights,  all wires bundled together into an harness coming out on left side of fuel tank.  The harness will eventualy be hooked up to a control panel of some sort mounted on the outside of the display case. 

8 reprinted more accurate brake segments and brake drums. The first ones were printed with my filament printer.

9 Wired and installed the battery 

That's pretty much it for now. 

Here's the link the my album, enjoy!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, here's an update on what's been done since the begining of january. 

1- Finaly started lacing the wheels. I have 1 done complete with air valve and weights. 

2- had to redo the head lights and horn brackets cause they were too flimsy

3- started work on the radiator.  The core is done with the mounting brackets and anti vibration webbing.  I'll keep the kit's radiator cover (the chromed portion) but will replace the front grill with real wire mesh. 

4- Did the spare wheel holder and side step

Again,  here is the link to my photo album, new pix at the end. Enjoy

• Like 2

I used an orange rice paper tape that I folded sticky back against sticky back and then cut to make a 1/16 wide strip. Rice paper is only .002 thick so once folded, I had a .004 thick strip when scaled up give a .05 thick webbing which I think is about right. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update time again.

Here's what I've been up to the last few weeks. 

1- completetly redid all 4 hood panels. The kit's panels are missing some details and the louvers are kinda bulky. So I modeled them ( not easy parts to model) and printed them. I even printed a curing fixture to conform the 2 top panels while curing.  They are now painted and ready to install. 

2- modeled and printed a working radiator cap 

3- designed an ajustement mecanism to ensure proper alignment of hood panels and radiator.  It consists of an eccentric stud at the end of a sleeve fitted inside the radiator cap.  I incorporated an hex socket inside the sleeve to fit an allen key.  By rotating the sleeve, the eccentric stud move the radiator cover in relation to the core thus ajusting the angle

4- removed the badly positionned bentley radiator logo and printed a  new one that is now in the right place

5- chromed the radiator cover 

6- modeled some working hood latchs, there's one per side. Not sure if I'll be able to pull this of, they are very small. I'll need to fabricate a micro compression spring of .05 in od.

7- wasn't satisfied with the radiator  chrome and tried to remove it. I completly messed up the radiator cover.  It is now unsusable... modeled a new one and it is printing as I write this. The ajusting sleeve should still work. 

Here's the link to the album,  many new pictures at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little update on my progress since mid february.

1- finished the hood straps in real leather that I skived from 1.2mm  to .5mm

2- 3d modeled and printed the fenders 

3- modeled and printed temporary tires with regular resin. I will eventualy reprint the tires with rubber resin.

4- made a new functionning gas cap 

5- modeled and printed a better detailed cam cover with properly meshed breather plates 

6- finished lacing all 5 wheels 

As usual, here is the link to my photo album,  new pictures and the end. If you haven't seen the album yet, start at the top,  it's fun to see the progress. 

Thanks for looking

• 3 weeks later...

Here what's been done since my last post.

The car is now on all 4s and pretty much all mecanical aspects are done. I didn't print the tires in rubber yet and might not do so. The plastic ones look really nice so I might just leave them on.

Installed the now finished cam cover .

Added the temp probe wire from radiator to temp gage.

Did the carburator protection grill. 

Normaly I should do the body next but I need a break so I decided to work on the presentation aspect of the project. 

Here's what I'm planning to do.

The model will be displayed in a case but not a simple glass bubble. I want the case to look like a shop; steel framed, with roof trusses, shop lights and water piping.  Also, I want to display the finished body separate from the car so that all the added details on the car can be seen.  The body will be on a trolley that I scratch built based on pictures from the actual trolley used by the bentley continuation team.  It will be displayed next to the car.

Again,  here's the link to my photo album with the latest pictures at the end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys :)

I wouldn't like to spoil this topic, but...

I've been lucky to visit yesterday @The guy from quebec in his home, and happy to meet a very nice guy 😎

I should say in addition that he's very modest, even though the Bentley he's building at 1:12 is worthy of a Museum.
In fact, I should also say that it would be difficult to know which museum would be worthy of exhibiting his true masterpiece.
Having been able, like some of you, to admire his model in the photos he took during assembly, I can tell you that, although they are excellent, they do not do justice to the incredible beauty, richness and finesse of detail of his Bentley.
You'd swear it was ready to drive. Everything is built like a real car, and to scaled, and...and...I'm not here to reveal  his secrets !
In conclusion, I can assure you that to be able to admire it with my own eyes was a real privilege, and that alone is worth crossing the Atlantic for!

Thank you to you, François, for your warm welcome 👍

CC